Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped Primary Drain Plug.... DAMN!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010 | 05:44 PM
Dino M
|
Advanced
Default Stripped Primary Drain Plug.... DAMN!!!

So I went out for my final ride for the season as I always do with intentions of getting home early and dumping all of the fluids and refilling everything with a fresh load. All was going so nicely too. Listening the Pats game in the garage just chugging along.

Putting the primary drain plug back in and just as soon as I think it's snug enough, it spins. I believe it's stripped now however a longer bolt, same size thread, threads in fine. But when I put the drain plug in, it threads down but then continues to spin.
Unfortunately I don't have a torque wrench that measures in inch pounds so I've always gone by 1, 2 or 3 finger tight with an allen. I know now that would have been cheap insurance....

I really don't want to spend $350 bucks on a new primary cover so if anyone has any suggestions... I'm happy to hear them. My local HD said I could try a heli-coil.

Old 11-07-2010 | 05:52 PM
ethal68
Tourer

so why not use a plug that is longer than stock?? I can't remember what the plug looks like.
Any pics? Have a machine shop make a longer one. It may sound easy cause I'm a machinist.
I cant imagine it being more than 30-40 bucks.

Old 11-07-2010 | 05:52 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member

Don't know how a heli coil would seal, but you could always go up one thread size on a plug. Just drill it out and re tap to the next size.
I learned the hard way with my last bike----don't remove any plugs or bolts when the motor is hot. Sometimes the threads come out with the bolt.

Last edited by FDHOG; 11-07-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2010 | 05:53 PM
ethal68
Tourer

Oh......one more thing, I hate heli-coil.

Old 11-07-2010 | 05:54 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Except I was using a torque wrench and staying at the low end. Mine never even tightened, it just spun. I posted here and someone recommended getting a 1 over self tapping drain plug from the auto parts store. I got one at autozone. I honestly don't remember the pitch. You have to drill and jb weld a magnet on the end, I couldn't get one with a magnet. You just run it in and out until it is seated. Clean it up as you go. It has worked great. I have changed the primary 3 times since. No leaks and it is tight as new. you will have a different size bolt head but who cares. You will have to either lay the bike on its side or pull the inner primary to helicoil or similar options. The dealer will probably want to sell you a new inner primary.

Old 11-07-2010 | 05:57 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Old 11-07-2010 | 06:05 PM
Dino M
|
Advanced

This is why I LOVE this site guys!!! Man, it hasn't even been 10 minutes and you guys jump right in to help!!! Awesome!

I should mention that I already took the primary cover off to inspect. I figured it would probably need to come off anyway should I need to re-tap it.

Okay... so I get the impression of NO GO on the helicoil. That's cool anyway. I didn't think that would be the best way to go if needed. That's what the guy at the parts counter suggested. He was pretty cool in not immediately trying to sell me a new primary.
I figured I'll either have to go one size up on the bolt or have another slightly longer one made up like ethal68 suggested.
I might try SG_Dave's suggestion too. The AutoZone guys in my town are very cool too.

Thanks gents!!!