Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another way to fix broken fairing brackets

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 06:53 AM
thecort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regardless of how heavy, big or whatever, that's a seriously nice job! Looks awesome & came out great.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:21 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Like the programmer at my work sez,Awesometicity.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:29 AM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

great job, i'm impressed...

Old 11-06-2010, 01:52 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks to all for the kudos, I am proud of it(even though I normally do better work). Don't let the appearance fool you, my bracket looks heavy but it probably doesn't weigh 1/10 of the amplifier. Depending on how you look at this, it is not additional weight to be supported, its additional support for the existing weight. Keep in mind the stock configuration should be able to support the weight of the base model stereo plus, satelite module, cb module, nav module, intercom module, and upgrade speakers and amplifier. Bottom line; OEM brackets should do the trick but they break all the time, even without any add on equipment. As far as Harley designing brackets to fail before the fairing plastic fails, I highly doubt it because the threaded inserts in the plastic pull and strip all the time too(by the way if you need repair inserts you can get them at McMaster Carr for a fraction of the cost of the Harley repair insert, same thing). I have mounted the improved brackets, and there is no significant improvement in their design. Harley’s greatest design is an image, to be sold at a fantastically gross profit margin. The aftermarket built around Harley Davidson dwarfs any other major vehicle brand name, why because their design engineering is dramatically lacking. If theses bikes were built right in the first place and didn’t require any mods because they were designed properly, they would cost 75-100k. Is this bracket overkill? Maybe, but we’ll never know; if nothing breaks in the future, was it the L brackets or was it my bracket. I aint taking it off to find out. I wish you all could ride this thing and feel the difference of the whole fairing system being firmed up, it’s way more stable since the fairing isn’t flexing and moving around from the air its carving. My motivation was my bike doesn’t just vibrate, it shakes excessively in the normal low shaky RPM range, every since I installed the Sta-Bo bushings. They work great at firming up the swingarm flexion, but the trade off is vibration. I’m in the process of building a leveling fixture for a scissor jack so I can do the engine/trans/chassis alignment to see if that helps tame the shakies, if not I’m switching to Glide-Pro. Eventually I’ll do the flywheel balance when I do the 95” build, but I’m attacking all the other variables in the meantime. This bracket is a relatively cheap mod also if you already own a rivet gun or aluminum welding equipment; I probably only got $30.00 in rivets, hardware, and metal, it was the beer that cost the most. I don't want to jump to any unsubstantiated conclusions here, I'll report back in a couple years and let you know if I have any bracket failure.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:48 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Looks like it will work - that's alot of alum & rivets. Might want to patent before HD steals it away.
Ha...HD wont steal it.They make money on replacements!!
Gotta say at first i thought but when i looked closer and saw you running Hog Wired maybe just need to turn the tunes down alittle... J/K................o~`o..................
Just saw your new mirrors,also a nice job,also very strong mounted to aluminum bracket!! Quite bullet proof!!

Last edited by riteway; 11-06-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:01 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
The brackets were designed to break before the fairing does...it might prove to be more cost effective just to change a bracket once in a while instead of a fairing.

Good luck!
I keep reading this, but I don't know whether to believe it or not. Did one of the design engineers tell you this or did you read it somewhere? Could be just a case of a crappy bracket couldn't it?????

Old 11-07-2010, 06:52 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice work!!
Do you have copies of the patterns for sale?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
I keep reading this, but I don't know whether to believe it or not. Did one of the design engineers tell you this or did you read it somewhere? Could be just a case of a crappy bracket couldn't it?????
I've seen two this summer at the dealer...both had the homemade brackets riveted to the stock ones. Both had the plastic broken from the fairing.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:15 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That bracket job is awesome!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
After two go rounds with repairing and replacing brackets I wanted to do something that would truely be a permenant fix. I made this fairing support bracket from a piece of 3/4 aluminium angle. It spans all the way across the fairing from mirror mounts to top speaker screw to main vertical mounts, it ties everything together nice and firm. This was a very slow project with a lot of trial and error, and hand fitting and adjusting every bend. In conjunction with the factory failure prone brackets, its hell for stout, you could probably lift the front end by it. I didn't have a welder but it still came out pretty nice with the trusty rivet method. could have made it lighter and neater with a welder. Anyway, I think I'm done repairing fairing brackets. I highly recommend building yourself one of these. Good winter project.
Good ole American Ingenuity!

Quick Reply: Another way to fix broken fairing brackets