Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:39 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Can anyone post a link to a true story where a car tire that was installed on a motorcycle FAILED, and a crash resulted from that failure? It doesn't matter what brand of bike it was on.,,

Old 07-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by redrub
It looks like for my 04 RK my choice is the Austone only. Right?
Probably.
What I'm hearing is for that vintage you need to clearance the belt?
Fender edge and belt.
And if the belt is too wide you can get a narrower 1" belt but you must also change to a narrower pulley that is spaced out accordingly.
Ya, but not on a Heritage - fender is closer.
Am I right so far?
Are there any issues using lace wheels?
I broke rear spokes, but that was pulling a trailer 2up and slamming the twisties each weekend. Went to Fatboy wheels.
Thoughts on putting that Austone on a Sportster. Too light?
Probably won't fit unless it's later model. Also, the jury is out on the Austones right now. Some wobble and some don't. Some of us are limited to under 80-85 mph because of it - we're trying different things to correct the problem, but it may be factory defects beyond our control here. I'm waiting to hear from some Goldwingers where it was suggested that two of them swap tires (one bad for one good) and see if it's the tires or the bikes at fault.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:48 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Can anyone post a link to a true story where a car tire that was installed on a motorcycle FAILED, and a crash resulted from that failure? It doesn't matter what brand of bike it was on.,,
No - But it's very important to attempt to force on people you don't know, something/ideas you know nothing about. Hence the nay-sayers on car tires.
I like to cruise through this thread ask "why do they care?"

Old 07-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't be silly, never let the truth get in the way of talking a load of bollocks.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Midgitfire
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've yet to see any. But this site has a lot of info on m/c tire failures.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Midgitfire
I've yet to see any. But this site has a lot of info on m/c tire failures.
That is interesting. I read several accounts of serious injuries from falling at 30mph. I would very much like to see a video of the dynamics of such an event happening. Could hard front-brake only at 30mph reduce the speed even more?

A car tire can also fail from a puncture and become very squirrely, especially if the mounting is in any way compromised on a motorcycle rim. Any Darksiders experience this?

As an aside, I wonder what safety gear they were wearing.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:17 AM
redrub
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Probably won't fit unless it's later model. Also, the jury is out on the Austones right now. Some wobble and some don't. Some of us are limited to under 80-85 mph because of it - we're trying different things to correct the problem, but it may be factory defects beyond our control here. I'm waiting to hear from some Goldwingers where it was suggested that two of them swap tires (one bad for one good) and see if it's the tires or the bikes at fault.
Thanks man!

A very interesting topic, ya gotta love them naysayers.....

Old 07-15-2012, 01:31 AM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

fattony apparently found a plethora of info via google, but when asked for the links, he fell mute...I thought his keyboard broke, but he's still posting.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:11 AM
djbiker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very interested in going darkside on my 07 Heritage Classic. I am concerned about the Austone and very disappointed that the Comtrac is no longer available. I searched the net and found this site http://tiresguru.com/search/175/75R1...1/?s=175/75R16 where there are numerous tires available in my size 175/75-16 in Europe, but not much of anything here.

Any current news about the Austone? Any other tire available?

Last edited by djbiker; 07-16-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: duh
Old 07-16-2012, 05:07 PM
MYCRISIS
Elite HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by S1dewinder
Huh?

Just the opposite sir, at least for anyone I know who rides more than twice a week (not counting weekends). My MC tires have always started out looking like MC tires and have always ended up looking like car tires. How else would I know when it was time to replace them????

Even my VFR wound up squared off. I'm not proud of it, but damn, my ride back and forth to work has always been PRETTY MUCH in straight lines.
It's a shame you have to change them just when they get squared off and get the benefit of all that "improved handling". I am mistaken, you sir, should ride a car tire.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today