Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Originally Posted by MYCRISIS
Perki, Lets ride. If I cant find you some *** puckering brake grabbing twisties in 10 minutes from my house then I'll buy the beer.

Cheers.
I was just kidding around with you, When everything is covered with snow and its below zero up here I envy the hell out of you being in Tyler!!

Old 07-13-2012, 11:39 AM
MYCRISIS
Elite HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
I was just kidding around with you, When everything is covered with snow and its below zero up here I envy the hell out of you being in Tyler!!
No harm, no foul, When it gets 110 degrees with 95* humidity here I envy your weather. We get a little bit of winter but mostly rideable with gear.

Since you are running car tires cant you just get snow treads, or studs, or just chain up?

I had to say it...Sorry.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:36 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I guess I'll take it.
1.) Cruiser lean angles are much less than crotch rockets.
2.) Cruiser rear loads are heavier, allowing flexion of the tire to increase bite.
3.) The CT keeps looking like a CT, and stopping like one, fast and hard.
4.) CT on the front would create boxy handling, but it has been done for years.
5.) The CT has better braking in ALL situations, especially on the wet stuff. More
bite, softer rubber, better water dispersion. Period.
Ive been watching and reading these "Darkside" threads for a long time. I ride a lot of canyon roads with big drop offs and narrow corners, if you make a mistake or have a failure it may well be your last! I was pretty sure that Id never try it, IMO not worth the chance with only 2 wheels holding me up and after looking at this picture of that rear tire up on its edge Im convinced that its not for me.

We all make our own decisions , this is one Ill stay away from. Best of luck to the "Darksider" riders and I hope it is a wise choice for you.

Last edited by XARAN; 07-13-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:35 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by XARAN
Ive been watching and reading these "Darkside" threads for a long time. I ride a lot of canyon roads with big drop offs and narrow corners, if you make a mistake or have a failure it may well be your last! I was pretty sure that Id never try it, IMO not worth the chance with only 2 wheels holding me up and after looking at this picture of that rear tire up on its edge Im convinced that its not for me.

We all make our own decisions , this is one Ill stay away from. Best of luck to the "Darksider" riders and I hope it is a wise choice for you.
What you guys are not realizing is when its "up on its edge" as you say the contact patch is about as big as a MC tire is at any time. But when its standing up flat it has 4-6 times the patch on the ground. Hence better traction and braking.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetech
I ride with a guy who went to the dark side for awhile...he saw the light and stepped back into reality. Turns out they don't corner so well. Absolute mistake to put a car tire on a motorcycle...just hope you aren't one to want to sue if it blows. Sidewalls on car tires are not designed to cope with the constant leaning that is done on a motorcycle which causes stresses the tire wasn't designed for. I confirmed all of this with a Michelin engineer friend the first time I heard about this.

And they say the side walls are not as strong so when you hit those pot holes that loosen your fillings you may also damage a rim. Just not worth saving a few bucks. M.O.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

What you guys are not realizing is when its "up on its edge" as you say the contact patch is about as big as a MC tire is at any time. But when its standing up flat it has 4-6 times the patch on the ground. Hence better traction and braking.
There are some differences however. The MC tire is designed for bumps and holes at that angle, the CT is not. Not saying that is a negative, but what is doesn't have is a similar tread pattern and how much non/minimal tread on the sidewall is in contact.

Also, like a deflated tire, the contact patch may be large, but the actual, usable contact may be diminished.

Seems to me the cruisers are too slow, too light and can't lean far enough to really show the disadvantages of a CT. But it on a 600 or a liter bike and it's a ridiculous notion.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:55 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
There are some differences however. The MC tire is designed for bumps and holes at that angle, the CT is not. Not saying that is a negative, but what is doesn't have is a similar tread pattern and how much non/minimal tread on the sidewall is in contact.

Also, like a deflated tire, the contact patch may be large, but the actual, usable contact may be diminished.

Seems to me the cruisers are too slow, too light and can't lean far enough to really show the disadvantages of a CT. But it on a 600 or a liter bike and it's a ridiculous notion.
Duh, what forum are we on? I don't believe Harley makes a bike that fits your worries!

Old 07-14-2012, 02:06 AM
S1dewinder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MYCRISIS
I would guess that a CT would start to wear in to look like a MT after a few thousand miles whereas a MT starts with the proper shape from day one.
Huh?

Just the opposite sir, at least for anyone I know who rides more than twice a week (not counting weekends). My MC tires have always started out looking like MC tires and have always ended up looking like car tires. How else would I know when it was time to replace them????

Even my VFR wound up squared off. I'm not proud of it, but damn, my ride back and forth to work has always been PRETTY MUCH in straight lines.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:16 AM
S1dewinder
Cruiser

Your location says Tyler, Texas. Where can you find any Sweepers that are enough to scrape your boards??

I'm pretty sure that a board scraping sweeper at 70 mph would induce that killer bagger wobble. Demons live there. Not even Malcomb could survive that!

Old 07-14-2012, 07:32 AM
redrub
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I guess I'll take it.
1.) Cruiser lean angles are much less than crotch rockets.
2.) Cruiser rear loads are heavier, allowing flexion of the tire to increase bite.
3.) The CT keeps looking like a CT, and stopping like one, fast and hard.
4.) CT on the front would create boxy handling, but it has been done for years.
5.) The CT has better braking in ALL situations, especially on the wet stuff. More
bite, softer rubber, better water dispersion. Period.

You're going to poke your eye out!!! You watch, You'll be sorry!!!

I'm looking into doing this. Let me see if I have this right.
It looks like for my 04 RK my choice is the Austone only. Right?
What I'm hearing is for that vintage you need to clearance the belt?
And if the belt is too wide you can get a narrower 1" belt but you must also change to a narrower pulley that is spaced out accordingly.
Am I right so far?
Are there any issues using lace wheels?
Thoughts on putting that Austone on a Sportster. Too light?

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today