Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 01:17 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Someone posted a video of a gold wing earlier doing only slightly leaned turns with a car tire but I have yet to see a video of a motorcycle with a car tire leaned over hard, to the point of touching the floorboards. IMO being able to do a tight or high speed turn is important in obstical avoidance not just spirited riding.

Why don't some of the darksiders on this thread show us how their bike performs with a car tire? Post a video of your bike leaned over 45-50 degress or more doing a tight high speed turn dragging some hard parts.

Last edited by fat_tony; 06-20-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:52 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by driverswanted
I can't imagine the ins. co. adjuster would even notice. I've had several customers' bikes through the shop after a crash, and have pulled off nearly new tires and swapped them out with old, bald dirt bike tires and whatever else we had laying around to keep the good Harley rubber for future use. Do you think even one adjuster said anything about it at all? They look at whats damaged, and write it off. Never have they said a word about a bald front tire being installed on the back, or vice versa, or a knobby trail tire on the front... they don't care. Hell we strip half the good stuff off bikes before they come back to pick it up after they'd seen it... pictures or not... and never a word...
Originally Posted by driverswanted
The parts get taken off to return to the clients. The only thieves are the ins. co's. If you seriously think that they pay you out for every piece of Mo Co chrome that is installed on your bike, then sadly you are very much mistaken. We pull the parts off, and swap them out with stock parts so that the clients can keep some of their hard earned chrome and good rubber. I'm not profiting from this. So before you go and run your mouths off, think about who the thieves are...
I stand by what I said. Insurance co's pay market value for a totalled bike. Swapping parts out before they pick it up is theft in my book. You never mentioned in your post that you returned the parts to the previous owner. Which I doubt but whatever. Unless you are billing the cutomer for the time it takes. the customer always has the oppurtunity to purchase his totalled bike back from the insurance company at a reduced rate. I know if I bought my bike back only to find that my parts were stripped, i'd be pretty pissed.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:45 AM
osb
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Wow. Not only opinionated out of turn; can't read either!
huh?

OP said "Had a Dunlap SP5000 put on my 09 Road King,awesome!The indy mechanic,who built allot of custom bikes, that put it on took it for a ride said this would cut way down on his tire sales. He was really impressed how it rode and handled.Don't think I'll be going back to a MT,just wish I could find one to fit my 02.Thanks to TooEasy for all the info."

so i google the tire

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0+Asymmetrical

"The SP Sport 5000 is Dunlop's Ultra High Performance All-Season radial developed for drivers of sports cars, sporty coupes and performance sedans. The SP Sport 5000 is designed to provide ultra high performance and all-season versatility by blending traction on dry and wet roads with traction in light snow."

guy puts car tire on his bike, derping ensues.

what's wrong with my post?

Old 06-20-2012, 07:03 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having trouble figuring out what side of the fence you are on from your post.

I didn't have any trouble with my CT up in the mountains last week.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:19 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,165 Likes on 3,675 Posts

I read the Rider magazine article and must say , it was so political in a way or pilitically correct...they "Rider Magazine" don't want to **** off the MC tire manufacturers that advertize in the magazine so they have to just about bend over and take it in the rear....I am sure Lawyers "Told" them to be on the tire manufacturer side as to not be liable in telling somebody it's "OK" to tell somebody to go to the Darkside...What a crock of ****....And again the Naysayers that have never rode a bike on the road or on the Tail of the dragon with a car tire have "NO CLUE" of what they are talking about...I have rode one, followed one and can honestly say that they scrape the boards and flex enough to have a hell of a nice contact patch, actually looks like a bigger contact patch than a MC tire...
To follow the sheep herders and say OK it's not safe so let's buy MC tires only and not try anything different is not what we are about...The folks like the Darksiders are the ones that make MC tire manufacturers develop new tires to last longer and they also see that we are tired of having tires that don't last for ****...
10000 miles on a tire...what another crock of ****....

OK rant over...y'all have a nice day....

Last edited by Notgrownup; 06-20-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I dont care either way. I wouldnt use one just because of its looks. But I do understand the main reasoning behind it......longevity. I have a 2008 Ford Ranger that will need new tires within the next 10K miles or so, still has the OEM on it now. That Ranger has 98000 miles on it! Why cant MC tire manufactures come out with a long lasting tire for those that want them?

I actually do have car tires on my bike.........they even came with this nifty warning label........I think my days are numbered.

And they perform just fine.............stick well enough to do this to my pegs

Last edited by Rog48; 06-20-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by osb
huh?

guy puts car tire on his bike, derping ensues.

what's wrong with my post?

you posted: "
wow, this is the dumbest ****ing thing today.

Put car tire on bike; become idiot."
That came in after positive comments for CT's. You sounded like another clueless naysayer, drinking the coolaid. THAT is why I posted my response.
If you've experienced our side of the fence, my apologies for the misunderstanding. Sometimes sarcasm is deflected by others posting at the same time.

Rog48 - nice tight little bike there...now, I wouldn't wanna ride behind you, as your pipes kick up all the road dust and blow it at me, but...
Those footpegs look like a great alternative/in-between to floorboards. Wouldn't mind those myself if I wanted to scrap the boards. Maybe you could use the outer allens to put a skid plate under there. I have Toyota head bolts welded horizontally under mine - on my fourth set.

Last edited by Quadancer; 06-20-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 AM
77Tulsa
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had my SP 5000 on now for 1500 miles and really like it. I can scrape the floor boards but choose not to because I don't enjoy grinding down parts that my feet rest on. Everyone has an opinion but unless you have experience to back that opinion it is just hear say and isn't worth the keyboard it was banged out on!!

Old 06-20-2012, 10:20 AM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts

Someone please post a better pic of a car tire on their bike. I have never seen one up close.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

My Vredestein Comtrac at 22k with much 2up trailer pulling on the floorboards, and hard solo riding the twisties:

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today