Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
What I was referring to is the CT has a wider contact patch, so the area of the tire that gets leaned on in a corner is further to the outside of the bike which could increase the lean angle available (vs. a curved MT that immediately leans off of center). A taller tire, yes that too.

Do you CT guys feel a self-center effect with the flat patch when going back to upright or an initial resistance when tipping into a turn?
Yes and yes. The resistance going into a turn is something you get used to, just liike Quad said. I dont even notice it anymore unless i'm thinkin about it. The biggest drawback on the CT is it wanting to stand up when you gas it in the middle of a curve. I have a austone and from everyones comments it has the least desirable handling characteristics of all the CTs in use. I'm pretty sure...... no I'm positive, in a race from one end of the dragon's tail to the other I'm faster on a dunlop MC tire. The austone is WAY too weight sensitive. 30 lbs of *** or cargo + or - means you have to figure out a new perfect setting.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by coolerman69
The biggest drawback on the CT is it wanting to stand up when you gas it in the middle of a curve. I have a austone and from everyones comments it has the least desirable handling characteristics of all the CTs in use.
WHAAaaa??? I've not felt that at all with the Comtrac, but the Austone in my garage is the next to go on - I sure hope you're wrong there. We hit curves really hard.
Where are you getting reports on the Austone? A couple I've read say it's even better than the Comtrac (on a softail that is), which I'd find hard to believe - I'd be putting another one on if they weren't discontinued.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:56 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Quadancer
WHAAaaa??? I've not felt that at all with the Comtrac, but the Austone in my garage is the next to go on - I sure hope you're wrong there. We hit curves really hard.
Where are you getting reports on the Austone? A couple I've read say it's even better than the Comtrac (on a softail that is), which I'd find hard to believe - I'd be putting another one on if they weren't discontinued.
Based on your rave reviews of your comtrac your not gonna like the austone. Solo its pretty good all around. Two up and its ok. Two up with a tourpack and its a handfull. I've tried 42# down to 33#, which is where I ride solo, in 2# increments and it isnt good. I think the sidewall is just too soft. Get it where its good in the twisties and it dances at highway speeds on a straight road. If I rode solo 90% of the time I wouldn't even consider taking it off, but its the other way around. As soon as my tires come in I'll have an austone 175r16 for sale cheap.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Okay. I'll just have to judge for myself if I can ever get this Comtrac to wear out. Believe me, I'm trying! NorCalDog on this forum was the first I knew of to go to it, then to 2" over forks, which he got me to do. I totally love the forks (and sportster lean angle). He was one of the positive comments on the Austone; said it was better, so maybe it's just better on the softail. I'll see. I ride WAYYYY too hard to have tire problems.
One thing you could do is go to that 175/60/16 and change your belt gearing to get the revs back down, but that's a bit of money. I'd bet that would be a solid setup tho; it's been done.
http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/s...r=DESC&google=

Old 04-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I can only run a 175mm in the softail so it's not that far off-center; along with the added crush, I think it negligible. Might be true on the super wide ones though.
It's interesting that a narrow 175mm CT, assuming with a softer compound than an MT (using the pen push test), would last significantly longer. One would think a 200mm MT like on a softail would last even longer?

Old 04-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

The best theory on that I've seen was this:
If a MT had softer rubber, with it's smaller contact patch, it would overheat.
Since it's a smaller patch, it wears faster.
Also, since it's harder rubber, it slips more, and therefore scrubs off.

We do definitely know they slip more...especially rear braking on a Harley!

Old 04-28-2012, 04:07 PM
blackdog0524
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys, What a great thread. I have been considering a CT for a few years and I think its time. Im currently running Avon Gangsters with the 2 3/4" white wall because I love the nostalgic look and after reading your posts I ordered the Coker 550R16 for my 2003 Road King Classic (FLHRCI). Coincidently, it too is available with the 2 3/4" WW so I will try this with the AVON on the front and see how she rides. I currently spend around $350 for an Avon plus another 130 for balancing and install which is almost $500 a tire change. The soft compound in the M/T lasts me 3-4 thousand miles. So if this CT gives me the mileage that some of you are saying it will save me around $1500 in tire changes. You think this may be a reason the MT industry may be arguing against the use of a CT on a motorcycle? I'm looking forward to getting this tire and seeing how it fits and rides with my sidecar rig. Thanks everyone for all your input, its been really helpful.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:04 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

I have an Austone 175R16 for sale if anyone would like to try out the CT experience.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:22 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Has anyone put a 205 on their bagger? Some are fairly thin, the SP 5000 I have on now has a section width of 7.9, the Michelin Primacy has a section width of 8.2, only 3/10 of an inch more which should fit nicely since their is about 1/2" clearance on each side now. Does anyone see any reason why this Michelin Primacy would not fit? I have over 30K miles on my SP 5000, almost time to get another tire.

Michelin Primacy MXV4

Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Symmetrical

Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 PM
G3Truks
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly recommend the Michelin Hydro Edge. Slightly rounder edges and moves water away like crazy.
I spent 3 days in the NC mountains last week with 2 guys with CTs and 2 with MTs. The CTs were putting up 8' rooster tails in the rain and we clocked the kiddies hard on the Dragon, Moonshiner, Hell Bender and a few others that don't have cool names (Yet).
I'll take the 60% more rubber on the ground any day over 3 inches of MT.

But I'm not selling anything....ride hard the way you want to and have a ball.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today