Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Mortikus
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Rune's, Gold Wings, VTX 1800's
I ran a Toyo Proxes R1R 205/55R16 on my VTX1800C for about 8k miles with no problems, aside from burning through it faster than the typical darksider. It was very stable in acceleration and turns, surprisingly so, and saved me on more than one moment in a quick stop/rain scenario.

That being said, I switched back to the Metz 200 and re-remembered how much easier dipping and rolling into turns was. After having experienced it, and switching back, I do enjoy the mc tire more. When I got my Deluxe, I was somewhat surprised at how easy it is to dip and then realized this tire is MUCH thinner... which I plan to fatten up soon here.

So darkside imho is for some. I think most everyone should give it a try, but it's not the end all for certain. If I was constantly riding twisties I'd prefer to not have one. Again, from 'my' personal experience.

Here's my old 1800 with and without:

...and a Metz 200.

Was a good bike, this was on a charity ride for an injured motorpool cop right before I sold her.

Mort

Old 04-04-2012, 06:46 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kmvallee
If I put a car tire on my motorcycle, what type of oil should i use in may car?

Harley Davidson, the most efficient way to turn gas into loud noise without the side affect of horsepower!
You should probably use Honda Lube

Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mortikus
If I was constantly riding twisties I'd prefer to not have one. Again, from 'my' personal experience.

Here's my old 1800 with and without:

...and a Metz 200. Mort
For me, twisties are my weekends, and I gained a bit of lean angle, and a ton of traction with the CT, and more line holding ability at speed when on the boards. The MT lane wandering seemed to disappear. Now that I have 2 over forks, it's even better.
I wouldn't go back, but you ride what you are comfy with.

Comparing the look of the outsides of the tires doesn't mean much. Looks won't change what's inside - and if you put a MT on that tire test machine the CT's are put through, I'll wager it would pop as soon as the crush was put on it, let alone the rolling twist!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
For me, twisties are my weekends, and I gained a bit of lean angle, and a ton of traction with the CT, and more line holding ability at speed when on the boards. The MT lane wandering seemed to disappear. Now that I have 2 over forks, it's even better.
I wouldn't go back, but you ride what you are comfy with.
That's very interesting. The point of contact is further out to the side which allowed a greater lean angle.

Any sport-touring or sport bike guys trying it or is that too much?

Old 04-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

I've seen a Triumph Triple video and a couple others, but personally, I wouldn't expect the same improvements on a sportbike. They are set up very well for the handling department and I'd expect less agility with a CT, although that Triumph was cookin' up there in Wyoming.
Point of contact? You're talking about an entirely LARGER contact patch, so I don't know what you mean by 'point'. For me, a greater lean angle because the tire has me 1/2" taller in back, and I'd say that with equal circumferences, there would be no height advantage between a MT and CT, because the CT flexes down a bit.
What makes for better cornering is both better traction and that feeling of being on rails - stability. If anything will cause you to chop throttle or hit a brake (both being No-no's in a corner), it's a stability shift of some sort, like losing your line, slipping, or bad road surfaces.
Incidentally, I haven't ridden a sportbike per se; I just keep modifying my Harley, and have spent racing years on dirt bikes. It is entirely possible that some sportbikes would improve with a CT; I'm just not the guy to say so.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Wonderbob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG no this again. What is so damn wrong with a bike tire anyway?

Old 04-08-2012, 09:08 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmvallee
If I put a car tire on my motorcycle, what type of oil should i use in may car?

coolerman69
You should probably use Honda Lube

I was thinking K-Y jelly

Old 04-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Point of contact? You're talking about an entirely LARGER contact patch, so I don't know what you mean by 'point'. For me, a greater lean angle because the tire has me 1/2" taller in back, and I'd say that with equal circumferences, there would be no height advantage between a MT and CT, because the CT flexes down a bit..
What I was referring to is the CT has a wider contact patch, so the area of the tire that gets leaned on in a corner is further to the outside of the bike which could increase the lean angle available (vs. a curved MT that immediately leans off of center). A taller tire, yes that too.

Do you CT guys feel a self-center effect with the flat patch when going back to upright or an initial resistance when tipping into a turn?

Old 04-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't read all the post but I can say I have ran CT's on 3 or 4 Goldwings - I would guess in the 100,000 mile range - never an issue - Us old goldwing guys have been using them for many, many years - I have never seen or heard of one bad experience of running a CT on a motorcycle - yes this same debate is going on in the world of Goldwing forums still today after all these years - I don't know about HD's rims but the rim on the Wing has the same bead design as on a Honda civic - From all the guys here running CT's on HD's I assume that the bead on HD's is also a match or there would have been issues buy now - so it's just another Ford'Chevy - HD Ultra/ Goldwing thingy as far as i'm concerned - I will go CT next time around - Just what ever floats your boat - I fell safe riding on either one - tom

Old 04-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
What I was referring to is the CT has a wider contact patch, so the area of the tire that gets leaned on in a corner is further to the outside of the bike which could increase the lean angle available (vs. a curved MT that immediately leans off of center). A taller tire, yes that too.

Do you CT guys feel a self-center effect with the flat patch when going back to upright or an initial resistance when tipping into a turn?
I can only run a 175mm in the softail so it's not that far off-center; along with the added crush, I think it negligible. Might be true on the super wide ones though.

There is a countersteer pressure involved when initiating a turn, but after about 100 miles, no one really notices it any more - like riding another bike. No self-centering with my Vredestein, and I hear the Austone is even better handling - if that's possible!

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today