Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I made a big mistake - the B odo reading was for my oil, which has 2,290 miles on it. Hard to see that little decimal in there!
Refiguring, I find that I have 18,500 on the tire, with maybe another 1000 or so in it yet. I actually thought I was losing some braking as the tire ages, but from the panic stop, I find it's quite negligible.
I think EVERYONE should practice panic stops with their bikes, and tight figure 8's at the very least. Learn the friction zone and 'head and eyes', or you'll screw up eventually. So many guys THINK they know how to ride because they can make it from point a to point b.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:53 PM
White Knight 04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more quadancer I am assuming the 195x60x16 fit fine on the stock Harley rim ??? Did you have any issues if this is so with the bead seal !! or did you use a tube ?? Just thinking of using this tire on my trike and as you would guess it wears out a front tire pretty fast ... Thanks for the imput so far Bro really like what i'm reading so far !!!

Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Can't say bro - the Heritage/Fatboy frames can only hold a 175/16, so I have no experience with the larger tires. I'm tubeless and had no trouble seating the bead. My lubes of choice are dish soap, which can dry out kinda quick on you, and my latest idea; tire shine (silicone). That worked fantastic.
Balance with dynabeads, and don't use grease for the install or the beads will stick to it.
3 oz. for a car tire and no weights needed whatsoever.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:23 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetech
I ride with a guy who went to the dark side for awhile...he saw the light and stepped back into reality. Turns out they don't corner so well. Absolute mistake to put a car tire on a motorcycle...just hope you aren't one to want to sue if it blows. Sidewalls on car tires are not designed to cope with the constant leaning that is done on a motorcycle which causes stresses the tire wasn't designed for. I confirmed all of this with a Michelin engineer friend the first time I heard about this.
+1. Wow- no way i'd go car tire.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:18 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
Bye Bye

Old 03-23-2012, 05:53 AM
spiker
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread was about a MC tire failure(glad he's still alive and will be OK). Seems MC tire failures are not uncommon. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-from-rim.html

Old 03-23-2012, 06:34 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I made a big mistake - the B odo reading was for my oil, which has 2,290 miles on it. Hard to see that little decimal in there!
Refiguring, I find that I have 18,500 on the tire, with maybe another 1000 or so in it yet. I actually thought I was losing some braking as the tire ages, but from the panic stop, I find it's quite negligible.
I think EVERYONE should practice panic stops with their bikes, and tight figure 8's at the very least. Learn the friction zone and 'head and eyes', or you'll screw up eventually. So many guys THINK they know how to ride because they can make it from point a to point b.
Also a lot THINK they can ride just because they have been doing it for years. One guy that I regularly ride with, whose been riding for 50 years, cant do a u-turn on a 2 lane street! I find that odd.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:45 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

Thats your choice.

Originally Posted by Gadgetech
I ride with a guy who went to the dark side for awhile...he saw the light and stepped back into reality. Turns out they don't corner so well. Absolute mistake to put a car tire on a motorcycle...just hope you aren't one to want to sue if it blows. Sidewalls on car tires are not designed to cope with the constant leaning that is done on a motorcycle which causes stresses the tire wasn't designed for. I confirmed all of this with a Michelin engineer friend the first time I heard about this.

Im sure this engineer had actually SEEN a CT on a bike ! NOT! Michelin probably spent millions testing CTs on bikes to prove that it wouldnt work....NOT!
If he thought it didnt corner well he either had his mind made up before he tried it or he didnt try it long enough to get the air pressure right.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Obviously a guy who can't read...or won't...either way, uninformed. He'll have a heckova time convincing the thousands of riders on the Darkside who've logged millions of miles on them without a single problem, except for the two who ran them flat.
Evidently Michelin doesn't test their car tires? I wanna see the bike that can stress a ct like that machine does! That would be one badayuzz bike!

Old 03-23-2012, 04:37 PM
BackAt5O
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the people who claim a CT cannot stand up to the pressures a bike leaning into a corner would generate! That being said, I guess I love morons!

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today