Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:42 PM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default speedo error?

Well this is an interesting thread. I don't know if this has been asked, but what are the differences in tire diameter compared to a MT? Of course every tire may be different, but if the dia is different than your MT, your speedo will not be accurate, correct? On the plus side, if it's larger you'll gain a bit of ground clearance.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Most speedos read 5mph fast to begin with - if you have a GPS, you'll see the difference. My CT put my speedo dead on. Waves in the road aren't any more of a problem than with a bike tire, unless it's actual caving, like from tractor trailer ruts in soft pavement - but last time we hit some of that, even the MT riders thought their back tires were going flat! General business entrances aren't a problem; what I referred to was personal home type driveways, where there is a deep gutter type situation. If you checked your mailbox from the bike and tried to ride into the drive over this normally (at an angle), it would make the bike try to stay in the road instead of turn in. The wider the tire, the worse it would be, because of the contact point being farther off the centerline. In a sweeper, there is downpressure on the tire from centrifugal force, flexing the contact patch towards it's center, unless you have too much air in it.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

How many of you CT users would switch back if you could get 20,000 miles out of Dunlop E3s??

Old 03-14-2012, 06:19 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
How many of you CT users would switch back if you could get 20,000 miles out of Dunlop E3s??
I would consider it

Old 03-14-2012, 07:04 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

this is very possibly the best question asked in this entire thread. Kudos!!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:41 AM
NorCal Dog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm,, let me answer that this way

years ago i used to use at&t as my phone carrier, i was overcharged for years on my long distance calls.
i finally got tired of being overcharged & changed carriers
about a month later i get a call from at&t wanting me to switch back & we'll " reduce your long distance rates dramatically if you do so "
my answer to them,, why didn't you do that automatically 10 fukin years ago,, *** you,, clic

so my answer to this question,,, *** dunlop

Old 03-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I wouldn't. It would still lack the traction, bulletproof testing, flat resistance, and price. They ain't gonna come with a 1625 lb. load limit. Or steel belts. Forget it.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:54 PM
98Ultra
Road Master

Twice the price and half the miles still isn't gonna be good enough.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCal Dog
hmmm,, let me answer that this way

years ago i used to use at&t as my phone carrier, i was overcharged for years on my long distance calls.
i finally got tired of being overcharged & changed carriers
about a month later i get a call from at&t wanting me to switch back & we'll " reduce your long distance rates dramatically if you do so "
my answer to them,, why didn't you do that automatically 10 fukin years ago,, *** you,, clic

so my answer to this question,,, *** dunlop
Understood. Isn't dual compounds fairly recent though?

Old 03-15-2012, 04:22 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

I did get 20K from my stock dunlops, Over 20k on both of them. I still went to the car tire and I'm glad I did. Does that answer your question?

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today