Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:04 PM
kq2dc7
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran a 195/55r16 bridgestone run flat at 28 psi. The handling was not compromised at all. The rear brake actually became a useful stopping tool. The wet weather traction was fantastic and the ride was better on the highway.

My brother and I mounted it in the basement with a twelve pack and some antique tire spoons. The tire seated on the rim at less than 40 psi. No balance beads were needed it came out good.

I never rode two up with the set up but it was on a 09 RK and Im close to 260 lbs.

Attached Thumbnails Went to the Darkside(car tire)today-imag0056.jpg  
Old 03-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned 3 Valkyrie's - I ran car tires on all 3 - over 100,000 miles - never an issue - loved them - tom

Old 03-09-2012, 01:02 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cptdenny
Interesting, thanks. That tire looks over inflated but I could be wrong. What is interesting is his statement at the end that handling was compromised.

I'm just not comfortable with the tread (or lack of) at that angle and also the variety and conditions of the roads out here are probably more varied than anywhere else (we're in the top 10 for worst roads) plus the mountain twistys.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Zuul
I think I'm brave enough to try dark siding my 09 RKC, but
After 20+K on one, I'd have to be very brave to go BACK to a MT. I play weekends in N. Ga. in the twisties, and many times camp, pulling a heavily loaded monowheel trailer with the wife aboard - sparking the boards. With a load limit of 1625 lbs., the rear tire is the one thing I DON'T worry about, and handling couldn't be better. Yes, on grooved pavement they can shift side to side slightly, but it's inconsequential, and the MT's do it too. Much of that will disappear with your choice of front tire. Don't enter driveways at an angle and you'll be fine. If you have too much tracking, you have too much air in it. Edit: I just put on a Shinko 777 last weekend up front (a front, not DD) and hit the I-75 grooves here - almost no wandering at all! I bought it because of price and that it looks like a sport tire. Nice surprise, and it's sticking VERY well in the corners.

Last edited by Quadancer; 03-09-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Don't enter driveways at an angle and you'll be fine..
Can you elaborate on that?? That sounds like a deal breaker without details. Every gas station, store, restaurant, riding in groups, etc...

Old 03-09-2012, 01:41 PM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The rise (hump) of the drive is like some pavement patches. It is higher and seems to push the wider tire to the side some, is what I've noticed. Other than that I haven't had any problems/issues at all. I only have about 7k on mine so far.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Worth a try?

Well a try seems survivable.

I'm not reading about anyone who tried it and wiped out. I am hearing about people who tried it and like it. I have not heard someone say they tried it and hated it.

So - as I carry a heavy load on the back axle I'll try it, and I'll let you know on this thread how it turns out. I guess I want to find a good quality sport tire - but leave the front tire as an MT Dunlap.

I was thinking about these:

Hankook H426 in 195/60/16

And I'm wondering if I can use my spoke rims with no issue. I'm reading where another FLHRC owner put a different rim on his but he didn't elaborate on why.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Zuul; 03-09-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: more better
Old 03-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read through some of this thread. I don't get it. If you want to run a BARE Rim who cares.....I would put a car tire on in a second but I don't think I could get a wide white wall. Car tires get way more abuse then a M/T tire. They carry much more of a load. They last MUCH longer. The tread on some M/T tires looks worn out when its band new. If you go around corners like an IDIOT....The tire won't really make much difference when your six feet under.

Just my .02 Cents!!!

Old 03-09-2012, 03:39 PM
TexasHarleyBoy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Darksided Street Glide

I really suck at getting this Clinton era PC to post any kind of pictures to this forum, buy I'm gonna give it a shot! I just got my new tires put on last week, and I must say that I was surprised as to how good they ride and as to how little they changed the handling characteristics!! I put a Hankook H426 on the rear, sized 195/60-16 and a Stone Batlaxx 140/70-18 on the front, directionally reversed. When i first took my bike out for a test ride, I didn't know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised to detect little or no change in ANY ride characteristics of the bike! To all of the naysayers out there who declare that it will ruin the handling and performance attributes, you need to extract your heads out of your **** cavities!! This is a win, win situation for me. I get much better wear rates, less initial expense, as good as or better performance, and i pretty cool look to boot!! I know all the anti Darkside piranhas will love this new piece of chum in the water, but i will NEVER put 1 cents worth of expertise in those idiots again!! Good riding to y'all from Texas!

Old 03-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Funny, the Goldwing video says handling changes, others here report differences in pavement waves, driveways and others say "no difference". It's a little confusing.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today