Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 05:23 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Gawd, I'm just SO sick of overinflated car tire vids ...when is someone gonna put a cam on one with 33-36 lbs of air in it, and get out there and THROW SOME FREAKIN' SPARKS, and show what the REST of us are doing?
Why don't you make the video and post it? Seams like an easy solution to your problem.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:27 AM
cardoctor
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read on another site that alot of guys are using runflat tires. i guess its for the stiffer side wall

Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Why don't you make the video and post it? Seams like an easy solution to your problem.
I'd love to if I had a camera. For now, all my spare change goes into the bike, camping and riding, and my charity now and then. I kinda doubt my bud will loan me his to strap under MY bike and tear up some mountains.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My Turn

Ok it's almost time for new tires and a new riding season here in Ontario Canada. I think I'm brave enough to try dark siding my 09 RKC, but there's two things; I need to know which tire makes the most sense for my bike, and where I can get it balanced and put on the bike.

No one around here that I've been able to find knows anything about it, and I'm not experienced enough to do it myself.

Any ideas?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:59 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I'd love to if I had a camera. For now, all my spare change goes into the bike, camping and riding, and my charity now and then. I kinda doubt my bud will loan me his to strap under MY bike and tear up some mountains.
I see your dillema then. I probably wouldn't want mine running under someones bike neither.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:30 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zuul
Ok it's almost time for new tires and a new riding season here in Ontario Canada. I think I'm brave enough to try dark siding my 09 RKC, but there's two things; I need to know which tire makes the most sense for my bike, and where I can get it balanced and put on the bike.

No one around here that I've been able to find knows anything about it, and I'm not experienced enough to do it myself.

Any ideas?
Just find a tire as close to you MC tire size. I had only one choice, you should have a few. Try the local honda shop for mounting or a indy. Dyna beads for balancing

Old 03-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire inquire

Originally Posted by coolerman69
Just find a tire as close to you MC tire size. I had only one choice, you should have a few. Try the local honda shop for mounting or a indy. Dyna beads for balancing
Thanks! I found the database listing the specs for a tire for my bike, and found a shop in the next city over.

I guess the downside is cornering/handling? Does anyone have any long term experience with this on a FLHR(C) and can comment? I like the idea because I'm careful when I drive and I'm usually loaded with the wife and camping gear so a hefty back tire might make sense. I don't know - I'm on the fence about this.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:47 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Zuul
Thanks! I found the database listing the specs for a tire for my bike, and found a shop in the next city over.

I guess the downside is cornering/handling? Does anyone have any long term experience with this on a FLHR(C) and can comment? I like the idea because I'm careful when I drive and I'm usually loaded with the wife and camping gear so a hefty back tire might make sense. I don't know - I'm on the fence about this.
I'm on a ultra but it should handle the same. Find the sweet spot(psi) for you and your tire and you'll love it. The wife will love it even more. Start your air at 40 and ride some twistys one way and then back the other way. Wont take but a few turns to test it out. Let 2 pounds out and ride the same stretch of road both ways again. Do this until you find the spot you like. Only real flaw with the CT is you WILL feel the ridges in bad asphalt worse than a MC tire.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:55 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No way - I would not.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
No way - I would not.
You probably shouldn't!