Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have about 8000 on Wing with a car tire. There is absolutely no high speed problems. The only thing I notice is slow speed manuvering when the road is grooved. The other thing I notice is that the bike wants to stand up when coming out of a corner, which is what you do anyways. It runs quieter, has greater carrying capacity, and the longer mileage are all pluses. The only downside are the non believers who can't or won't think out of the box who give you a hard time. Rolls off my back like water to a duck though.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:11 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Yes i did take that the wrong way. Just because a shop doesn't cater to someones "out of the box" wants doesn't mean they don't have *****. And if he was saying that we are thinking with our dicks then yeah, I would take that the wrong way as well. So I guess either way I take it to be a bullshit statement. We choose to NOT mount C/T's for a few very simple reasons, 1 our insurance co said that they would not cover us if there was a problem, and 2 from what i've read on the DS forum as well as some posts here, they can be a PITA to mount. So even if insurance wasn't an issue, the time involved on an occasional PITA to mount C/T wouldn't be worth it to us. So we are losing what? 30 bucks every 50,000 miles you guys get. In Ohio riding good, that would be 3 to 4 years. Take em to a car tire shop and let them mount them.
I know where your commin from. I'm partners in a tire machine and i wouldnt mount one for a stranger either. For a buddy yeah but not just anyone. We're pretty picky who we mount MC tires for!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:07 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Oh crap, I shoulda thot that one out a bit more...didn't want to insult anyone but those gutless wonders you meet at a lot of bike shops who tow the Moco line only and consider anything and anyone else to be scum or weirdos.
Heck, I guess I AM kinda weird.
Seriously dude, your posts made sense; no offense intended. As an ex dirt biker, I have a good opinion of most of those guys. Our local shop RACES their bikes besides working on them. I got nothin' at all against you.
edit: I've seen where some guys DID get CT shops to mount theirs.
No worries bro. to each his won. We did some consideration on the whole thing, and just decided it's not somehting we care to get into at this time. Hs nothing to do with being gutless or wanting to "tow the MoCo's line".

Like i've said, I have no problem with DS'ers. To each his own. Personally, i've never had any problems controlling my bikes, stopping, riding in rain and all the other reasons peole use to go to DS, other than the mileage on the tire. and that's no big deal to me. I get tires at a very good price and get to remove, mount, balance and replace for free. I do it every spring. I get around 10,000 miles a year on my bike (I live in Ohio or it would be alot more). Besides, It gives me a good excuse to clean the rear wheel sonce it's off.

Last edited by harleytuner; 11-30-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:10 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by coolerman69
I know where your commin from. I'm partners in a tire machine and i wouldnt mount one for a stranger either. For a buddy yeah but not just anyone. We're pretty picky who we mount MC tires for!
I'm surprised some DS'er doesn't just go out and get him a tire machine and do it for fellow DS'ers. Seams like there would be money in it if it's that hard to find someone to do it. Gregs equipment has tire machines for 1500 bucks, they're not a Coats brand or nothing, but they get the job done. I know a guy that has one in his garage and it's not to bad for the money.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Ouch. That would be a lot of installs to pay off, but could be used for bike tires too - only you'd properly need a license or get busted for it, once you'd done so much business.
I put my last one on with 2 HF tire irons, my vise for bead breaker, and some 2x4 scraps to protect the hubs, and dyna beads for balance. Half hour well spent. And that's something I don't understand. Back in the day, half of us did all our own work.
Admittedly, DS tires often are a beeyatch to bead, but mine went silently on at 85-90 lbs.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:47 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

I'm surprised some DS'er doesn't just go out and get him a tire machine and do it for fellow DS'ers. Seams like there would be money in it if it's that hard to find someone to do it. Gregs equipment has tire machines for 1500 bucks, they're not a Coats brand or nothing, but they get the job done. I know a guy that has one in his garage and it's not to bad for the money.
10 of us went together and bought one two summers ago from Greg Smiths. 100 bucks each. Doesnt take long to cover 100 bucks. They have them now for 995. We charge outsiders $30 a pop.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:01 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Admittedly, DS tires often are a beeyatch to bead, but mine went silently on at 85-90 lbs.
Which is one of the reason I stated we don't care to dick with them. why go through the hassle when we are plenty busy doing jobs that make more money. It's just smart business. If our shop didn't have any work it might be a differn't story. Hell, i'll work on a lawnmower if I don't have bikes to work on. We'll even work on metrics if things get slow. God I hate working on metrics. LOL.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:13 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Hell, i'll work on a lawnmower if I don't have bikes to work on. We'll even work on metrics if things get slow. God I hate working on metrics. LOL.

I heard you secretly love metrics and you have a hidden section in your garage with several of them tucked away in there, one of them is even a Suzuki. But you are a little ashamed so you only ride them on the darkest nights with a full face helmet. I don’t know if there is any truth to that but it is a rumor I’m starting anyway.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:17 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jjnoble
I heard you secretly love metrics and you have a hidden section in your garage with several of them tucked away in there, one of them is even a Suzuki. But you are a little ashamed so you only ride them on the darkest nights with a full face helmet. I don’t know if there is any truth to that but it is a rumor I’m starting anyway.
God I only wish I had a garage big enough to have a hidden roon with bikes in it!!

I guess I should re-phrase my comment. I don't care to work on metrics while at work. Truth be told, I do have a Susuki (GSXR 750), not ashamed of it neither. It sits proudly right between the FXR, Lowrider and my Electra Glide Classic. But the other truth is, I hate to work on it. LOL

Old 11-30-2011, 07:48 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

God I only wish I had a garage big enough to have a hidden roon with bikes in it!!

I guess I should re-phrase my comment. I don't care to work on metrics while at work. Truth be told, I do have a Susuki (GSXR 750), not ashamed of it neither. It sits proudly right between the FXR, Lowrider and my Electra Glide Classic. But the other truth is, I hate to work on it. LOL

Crap, I was just kidding. I had no idea I was stumbling into something there. That's okay, we'll just keep that between you and me.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today