Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:01 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mighty Nation
Bunch of babies on here. If you haven't tried it you don't know, so shut up.
Everybody else put a CT on your bike and enjoy.

This ought to **** off a few people.

+1 on this right here

Old 11-27-2011, 10:09 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat1
TooEasy, go find a DOT cop and see if he can drag his scales out and put your tundra on 4 seperate scales and note the weight being put on each wheel, Then load up your scoot and put it on a set of scales and note the weight on each wheel. You might be suprised to how much weight is actually on that rear tire of your scoot.

Also tire pressure ratings on tires is dictated by the construction of the tire and its weight carrying abilities. Don't ever go with the car manufacturers specs. Under inflated tires cause heat buildup in tires and heat buildup in a tire is the number 1 reason for catostrofic failures of tires.

Also underinflated tires will pop a bead when they are flexed to a certain point. I did this on my pickup. My tires have a higher then 50PSI rating to them. I was running them soft (about 30 psi) for a better ride. I popped a bead one day running down a gravel road. Granted, I was pushing the pickup hard thinking I was a rally car racer but still.

I have seen alot of vids of rear tires on motorcycles and not one MC tire folded over or bulged even slightly in a curve. I can't say the same thing for the vids with car tires installed.

But why would I want to do all that? I already know it works. My bike is absolutely stable, loaded or unloaded, and the more load I pile up on it, the better it gets. Two-up and with a load on it, running 30 PSI is like sitting on my couch, hehe.

I never thought that I would enjoy running two-up all over the place, but its a fact. Two-up on a CT is awesome.

On my first post, and also many people here have said that this something that you don't know unless you TRY IT.

I could say that I don't like chicken soup because it has noodles and it looks gross on some videos on youtube, but I never tried it. Absolutely senseless. If you tried chicken soup and you liked it, and I made a statement about it being no good, what would you think of me?

Have a great weekend and a great ride. There is sunshine, I am taking my scoot with the CT out!

One last thing, there is nothing wrong with motorcycle tires. I just hated my D407, that's all.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:32 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Soon I will be giving a review on a car tire as well. Just need to find some good weather in Illinois is all.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Rat1
Road Master

Originally Posted by coolerman69
Ok let me see if I have this right! Your comparing a full size truck running 40% less air than rated/recommended to a CT on a bike running 12% under rating as being the same risk of popping the bead!!!! Are you really suggesting this? Come on dude your grasping at straws here. Why do you even care if we do it and fail? You'll get to bow your chest out and say I TOLD YOU SO! Do you even know anyone personally that runs a CT on a bike? Have you ever SEEN one on a bike?

I have seen a few and they are mostly guys that like to do burnouts. I understand why guys run them when they say it saves them money. Hey I am for saving a buck or two. That is why I don't run 91+ oct in my scoot. I don't get the option of running 10s of thousands of miles a year. Between work and dealing with 5 months of snowbanks it makes it hard to log that kind of miles on my scooter each year.

But don't come on here saying it is safer etc. I don't believe that, not one bit. Don't come in here saying that no one has ever lost control while using a car tire on the back of a motorcycle. There is absolutely no proof either way other then some hear say.

I have looked at tire construction differences between ct and mt and mts are constructed differently then CTs are in the sidewall area. They are constructed this way because mt spend more time up on edge then a CT does. MTs have a stiffer sidewall then CTs do due to the way the sidwalls of MTs are constructed.

Another one was plugging a MT compared to plugging a CT. Another bullshit statment. MTs are just as easily plugged and CTs.

I get to log about 3-4 thousand a year on my scooter, sometimes more depending on work. I log more then 100K a year in the truck. I am on my second year on my current scooter tire. It is your basic mu85 that comes stock on the earlier electraglides. It still looks new and I suspect I will get a few more years out of it as long as I stay away from making black patches at the lights etc.

So personally, I could give a **** less if you want to run a wagon wheel muchless a car tire. Just don't come here saying it is BETTER or SAFER without actual proof other then hearsay or some stupid U Tube video.

I have a question though, if it is so safe etc then why have I not heard of law enforcement running car tires on the cop bikes? If they are then please supply proof of it. I would think that they would benefit alot more from this due to hwo many miles they put on their bikes a year.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:18 AM
NorCal Dog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yaaaaayyy,,, we have ANOTHER expert/naysayer with his opinions ( trucker no doubt ) have a nice argument dood

Old 11-27-2011, 11:33 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

I have seen a few and they are mostly guys that like to do burnouts. I understand why guys run them when they say it saves them money. Hey I am for saving a buck or two. That is why I don't run 91+ oct in my scoot. I don't get the option of running 10s of thousands of miles a year. Between work and dealing with 5 months of snowbanks it makes it hard to log that kind of miles on my scooter each year.

But don't come on here saying it is safer etc. I don't believe that, not one bit. Don't come in here saying that no one has ever lost control while using a car tire on the back of a motorcycle. There is absolutely no proof either way other then some hear say.

I have looked at tire construction differences between ct and mt and mts are constructed differently then CTs are in the sidewall area. They are constructed this way because mt spend more time up on edge then a CT does. MTs have a stiffer sidewall then CTs do due to the way the sidwalls of MTs are constructed.

Another one was plugging a MT compared to plugging a CT. Another bullshit statment. MTs are just as easily plugged and CTs.

I get to log about 3-4 thousand a year on my scooter, sometimes more depending on work. I log more then 100K a year in the truck. I am on my second year on my current scooter tire. It is your basic mu85 that comes stock on the earlier electraglides. It still looks new and I suspect I will get a few more years out of it as long as I stay away from making black patches at the lights etc.

So personally, I could give a **** less if you want to run a wagon wheel muchless a car tire. Just don't come here saying it is BETTER or SAFER without actual proof other then hearsay or some stupid U Tube video.

I have a question though, if it is so safe etc then why have I not heard of law enforcement running car tires on the cop bikes? If they are then please supply proof of it. I would think that they would benefit alot more from this due to hwo many miles they put on their bikes a year.
Well since you could give a **** less why dont you take your closed minded, negative *** comments somewhere else. This thread was started by a CT user speaking to Other CT users or people seeking info who might be wanting to try one.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Rat1
Road Master

Originally Posted by coolerman69
Well since you could give a **** less why dont you take your closed minded, negative *** comments somewhere else. This thread was started by a CT user speaking to Other CT users or people seeking info who might be wanting to try one.
Hey I left the thread alone for the longest time until someone told another member to do his homework before speaking against the Darkside. Tell us were we can do some real investigating on the safe use of Car Tires on a motorcycle other then a few U tube vids of guys riding their motorcycles on car tires, or some posts by some guys that use them. By the way, it seems that the Darksiders are a very small minority when it comes to this when you consider how many motorcycles and riders there are out there.

Please point me to real crash test studies involving the use of car tires on a motorcycle. Not some stupid U tube video. All I can find is car tire manufacturers saying that use of their tires on a motorcycle is not recomended. Also motorcycle companies saying that use of Car tires is not recomended.

Now I would think that car tire manufacturers would be the ones to not say anything. It would take away sales of their products

Old 11-27-2011, 12:27 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why don't you research motorcycle tire failures. You will get more a lot more hits then car tire failures.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:32 PM
hucks 08
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats why they call it a car tire.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:32 PM
NorCal Dog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

darksiders are few,, but we're adding more & more everyday,,

darksiders are more apt to run 10/20k / yr

if i had a garage queen parked more than i ride ( as most do ) ,, i'de run what they sell me,, & not slam the guys that look for alternatives

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today