Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I think the Coker must be a different composition, as one guy I recall got really poor mileage out of it - it could be merely intended to go to shows and such, as it's an antique tire. There are better choices:
http://darkside.nwff.info/database.php
Whitewalls are gonna be a problem. I wonder if those old snap-on whitewalls for blackwall tires are still out there.
Are those guys really trying 60 to 100psi + tire pressures for CTs initially??

Old 11-26-2011, 02:55 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I'll bite, since he's probably the MOST clueless naysayer I've seen in 2 years of study.

1.) CT's are SOFTER than MT's. Proven over and over by tire durometers, but you can use a pen. If an MT were softer than they are, they'd probably overheat due to the small contact patch.

Tire manufacture's data says you made up this statement. Pleeze, please post some supporting links or a letter from a tire manufacturers like Pirelli that says they use softer rubber on car tires. Car tires use very hard rubber, this is why they last longer and also why they have substantially less cornering grip.

2.) No one is riding on the damn SIDEWALL. Air pressure is adjusted for each bike/rider/style/terrain/load to eliminate wallowing from low pressure and groove tracking from too high a pressure. The tire flexes, keeping a large "D" shaped contact patch, much larger than a MT.

Wrong, if you don't believe me lean your bike on it's side at a reasonably steep cornering angle then post the picture for us. A leaned car tire also heavily distorts the side walls of a car tire causing other issues.

If someone whats to try a car tire, great. But please do not make up facts to justify your decision or beliefs. It is called intellectual honesty.

Last edited by fat_tony; 11-26-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:31 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote=Deuuuce;9078272]]

But if leaned over too far, it's riding that flexed area if not farther causing unstable handling or for it to suddenly tuck under.

No, Deuuce, it doesn't work that way. You lean a little more, the sidewall flexes a little more. This is why its so important to find the right pressure for your bike and riding style. It never goes into the sidewall or the edge of the tire shoulder, it doesn't fall of the shoulder, and it doesn't have an abrupt transition, like a worn out in the center D407.

A CT unstable? huh?

I was tempted to go find an empty parking lot and lay my bike down on the crash bar and take a picture of what the CT looks like leaning that far. But I got to reading your posts and its evident that you just keep making things up, like your assumption above, and if I took a picture or not it wouldn't make a difference, so you are on your own.

After reading your posts, I still can't understand how can you be arguing something that you don't know, simply drawing your own conclusions. But God bless America, we can all say what we want, hehe.

Regards,

Old 11-26-2011, 03:37 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading the entire thread, I'm going to leave this debate to those much smarter than me. As for me and my family, we will continue to use motorcycle tires on our bikes.
Enjoy what ever tires you ride!

Old 11-26-2011, 04:28 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any half-wit that has a finger to feel with can compare a MC tire to a CT. A new dunlop MC tire is considerably harder than the Austone CT currently on my bike. I'm not 100% sure i'm gonna keep the CT yet. Testing still to be done so i'm on the fence, But DAMN yall can argue about some stupid ****! I'f you dont wanna try a CT fine, thats your choice. Those of us that are willing to try something different really dont care how many supposed "facts" you can come up with, your not gonna change our minds so quit trying. Frankly its gettin really old!

Old 11-26-2011, 04:38 PM
highmarket
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011 Road Glide Ultra
Now if you could get a studded one and a ski for the front.....
Finally a touring bike I can ride in the snow!!!!!

Old 11-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Bob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A man with experience (50+ years) is NEVER at the mercy of a man with an opinion.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Rat1
Road Master

Originally Posted by TooEasy
Folks,

I am one of the first harley owners that put on a CT (search for Car Tire on my Road King) about 17,000 miles ago. I caught hell for doing so.

I have not been riding much because of big and sudden changes in my life, but the dust settled down, I am in a different state (Arizona) and riding is picking back up.

At 17,000 miles, and three plugs (3, tres, lol) including a pretty, shiny blue, double threaded Tapcon concrete anchor screw, my tire barely shows wear, its soft and sticky, and still rides awesome, to the point of reaffirming why I am not going back to a MT.

Running underinflated, you say? weeeeelllllllllll..... that is hard to say. My Tundra double cab says inflate to 44 PSI in the tire sidewall, but the sticker in the door jamb from the truck manufacturer says inflate to 32 PSI. So, given the light weight of my bike compared to my Tundra, if I run it at 28 or 30 or 26 PSI, is it underinflated? not likely. Running two-up with a load in the trunk and saddlebags it doesn't even hint at running hot, heat being the main indicator of an underinflated tire, right before it goes bang!

Like Quadancer said, we don't run on the sidewalls, the sidewalls flex. Picture this: When a car is parked, there is a bulge on the bottom of the tires, the sidewalls are flexed, supporting the weight of the car. As the car starts to move, the bulge is still there, the sidewalls flexing as the tire rotates. In a sharp corner, the sidewalls flex and deform, towards the outside of the turn, keeping the thread in contact with the pavement, making the tire stick. This didn't happen to the same degree in the old glass belted "performance" bias tires, with a stiff sidewall, which had a propensity to scare the living daylights out of the driver when giving away suddenly in a corner, hehe. Remember that?

In a motorcycle, the inside sidewall flexes in a turn, and this results in close to half of the thread staying in contact with the pavement. No wonder they are so sweet in fast, long sweepers, lol. And they are way ahead of a MT in sharp, bumpy turns. They have the characteristic of being very forgiving (unlike a MT) of sloppy handling. In my case, once I get commited to a turn, I can still change my line without getting into a wooble or getting myself in trouble because of hitting debris, gravel, etc. Downpours are a non-issue. It rained all night, and to get my bike out I have to ride in the mud a short distance, no big deal with the CT, I just have to be careful not to allow the front tire to wash out from under me.

Folks, no need to argue with the naysayers. CTs work, we know because we use them. There will always be somebody that has no clue, coming in to argue something that they may not have even seen, let alone use.

The sun is coming out, the mud is drying out, I am going back out riding. Y'all have a blessed day!

TooEasy, go find a DOT cop and see if he can drag his scales out and put your tundra on 4 seperate scales and note the weight being put on each wheel, Then load up your scoot and put it on a set of scales and note the weight on each wheel. You might be suprised to how much weight is actually on that rear tire of your scoot.

Also tire pressure ratings on tires is dictated by the construction of the tire and its weight carrying abilities. Don't ever go with the car manufacturers specs. Under inflated tires cause heat buildup in tires and heat buildup in a tire is the number 1 reason for catostrofic failures of tires.

Also underinflated tires will pop a bead when they are flexed to a certain point. I did this on my pickup. My tires have a higher then 50PSI rating to them. I was running them soft (about 30 psi) for a better ride. I popped a bead one day running down a gravel road. Granted, I was pushing the pickup hard thinking I was a rally car racer but still.

I have seen alot of vids of rear tires on motorcycles and not one MC tire folded over or bulged even slightly in a curve. I can't say the same thing for the vids with car tires installed.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:37 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bob
A man with experience (50+ years) is NEVER at the mercy of a man with an opinion.

Bob this just might be the best post on this entire forum!

Old 11-27-2011, 09:52 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rat1
TooEasy, go find a DOT cop and see if he can drag his scales out and put your tundra on 4 seperate scales and note the weight being put on each wheel, Then load up your scoot and put it on a set of scales and note the weight on each wheel. You might be suprised to how much weight is actually on that rear tire of your scoot.

Also tire pressure ratings on tires is dictated by the construction of the tire and its weight carrying abilities. Don't ever go with the car manufacturers specs. Under inflated tires cause heat buildup in tires and heat buildup in a tire is the number 1 reason for catostrofic failures of tires.

Also underinflated tires will pop a bead when they are flexed to a certain point. I did this on my pickup. My tires have a higher then 50PSI rating to them. I was running them soft (about 30 psi) for a better ride. I popped a bead one day running down a gravel road. Granted, I was pushing the pickup hard thinking I was a rally car racer but still.

I have seen alot of vids of rear tires on motorcycles and not one MC tire folded over or bulged even slightly in a curve. I can't say the same thing for the vids with car tires installed.
Ok let me see if I have this right! Your comparing a full size truck running 40% less air than rated/recommended to a CT on a bike running 12% under rating as being the same risk of popping the bead!!!! Are you really suggesting this? Come on dude your grasping at straws here. Why do you even care if we do it and fail? You'll get to bow your chest out and say I TOLD YOU SO! Do you even know anyone personally that runs a CT on a bike? Have you ever SEEN one on a bike?

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today