Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:44 PM
NorCal Dog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I would certainly try it, but not long term. I would like to try the highway, twistys, etc.

However, looking at that narrow CT above, with all that negative tread area, and basic tread design, I question the hardness of that tire and just how much material is in contact with the road vs. an MT. That tire looks like basic crap from an economy car.
not trying to convince you of anything,, as you sound like you're pretty closed minded on this subject

but you do have alot of misperceptions concerning the " narrow economy CT crap "

the tire is actually very soft & sticky,, much more so than the pirelli night dragons, & avon venoms & dunlops that i've burned thru in the past

& all that negative tread area that you point out gives these tires thousands of tiny edges that provides much improved bite & stopping power,, & is BY FAR THE BEST wet weather ( ie; RAIN ) tire i've ever had mounted on the rear

you prolly shouldn't " try " it,,,, you won't like it,,, don't waste you're money & then complain about it afterwards

Old 11-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

CT users, ever wonder why some car tires are designed to be mounted one-way on the car wheel in terms of directional travel? Is sidewall construction identical on both sides of a tire? Are unidirectional tires only used on MTs?

For CT users, have you considered a dual compound MT like the Dunlop E3? A friend reports 10,000 miles and 1/2 tread remaining on his hard ridden RK.

Originally Posted by NorCal Dog
not trying to convince you of anything,, as you sound like you're pretty closed minded on this subject

but you do have alot of misperceptions concerning the " narrow economy CT crap "

the tire is actually very soft & sticky,, much more so than the pirelli night dragons, & avon venoms & dunlops that i've burned thru in the past

& all that negative tread area that you point out gives these tires thousands of tiny edges that provides much improved bite & stopping power,, & is BY FAR THE BEST wet weather ( ie; RAIN ) tire i've ever had mounted on the rear

you prolly shouldn't " try " it,,,, you won't like it,,, don't waste you're money & then complain about it afterwards
That tread design better for wet weather, yes. For dry, no. That is an all-season design that isn't remotely for high-performance dry. By the way, did you notice on the edges the sidewall pattern is different than the other side?

Also notice that the main sipes run a different direction depending which way you lean?

Old 11-24-2011, 07:13 AM
NorCal Dog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what ' high performance " ??? it ain't an R1, it's a fukin harley

i don't feel the need to argue my experiences with your negativity

have a happy thanksgiving

peace out

Old 11-24-2011, 07:33 AM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey OP?
you still alive?
did the car tire kill you yet?
mention running a car tire and everyones inner mommy comes out

I am doing it because I am a cheap bastard.
my back tire gets punished because I ride haarrd
moco gave me two years to blow this motor up
it would take one car tire to do that or ten mc tires
I hate math but jeez
10 mc tires= $150x10 +$25 mounting x 10 = hell no
1 car tire 150+25+case of beer for tire guy to look the other way= heel yeah

Old 11-24-2011, 07:39 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I'll bite, since he's probably the MOST clueless naysayer I've seen in 2 years of study.

1.) CT's are SOFTER than MT's. Proven over and over by tire durometers, but you can use a pen. If an MT were softer than they are, they'd probably overheat due to the small contact patch.
2.) No one is riding on the damn SIDEWALL. Air pressure is adjusted for each bike/rider/style/terrain/load to eliminate wallowing from low pressure and groove tracking from too high a pressure. The tire flexes, keeping a large "D" shaped contact patch, much larger than a MT.
3.) CT's are designed with certain characteristics that we find exceptional in bike usage. Rain grooves to compensate for the width (no reported hydroplaning from anyone, nor on mine at 80) torture testing that NO bike tire could ever withstand, and softer sidewalls that give us a much smoother ride, bump absorbtion, and cornering that doesn't wander. Sort of like being on rails.
4.) Assymetrical tires aren't used, but tread patterns that go completely over the tread area may be "reversed" on an opposing side - no one has been able to notice any difference whatsoever in performance from this. I would expect to feel a truly assymetrical tire though.
5.) Harleys by and large don't HAVE a back brake. But suddenly one seems to work after mounting a CT. There are anecdotes denoting experiences where a CT outstopped a MT on a similar bike when riding side by side - in emergency stops, especially.

Were people to actually go on the DS forums and READ, they'd know all this. But incessantly, one after another, we find guys chiming in with their "knowledge" of the dangers of CT's having neither read about nor rode them.
And again, we see one after another switch sides after trying it. There are REASONS why virtually 99% of Darksiders say they won't ever go back to MT's, why MILLIONS of miles ridden have no reported tire failures, save for 2 Kendas ridden flat and bald.
Kinda strange for such a "dangerous" tire, ya think???

Last edited by Quadancer; 11-24-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:24 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm still a newbie to the darkside having only logged about 600 miles on my 06 with the austone tire. I think it was Deuuce that brought up the fact that the treead design from one side to the other was different. I had never noticed this. I can say this, i have been objective and critical of the CT so far. I DONT think its inherently dangerous just because its not designed for the purpose in which we are using it. I have noticed NO difference in grip left vs right while cornering, and trust me i've done a lot of cornering in 600 miles. If I never find that "sweet spot" everyone talks about the CT will come off and i'll be here to tell you about it. Handling is very important as I am a VERY aggressive rider not just an interstate tour er.
I had previously reported the CT lacked traction compared to my old Dunlop. I tested further and realized I was TRYING to slide the rear and using probably 80% rear brake to stop. When I quit thinking about the rear tire and just rode it normally it never even made me think it MIGHT wanna slip. Straight line traction is unparalleled! Any of you that have ever experienced a hot drag slick and how good it hooks up........it's almost that good! I can ****** the front up with NO problem! I'm trying to keep an open mind here and give an accurate description of the performance to keep you informed with real-world facts. Its definitely not for everyone! A less experienced and capable rider than myself would have already fallen to the side of the naysayers. Its definitely a different feel all around! More to come.
Sorry for the novel but maybe someone will appreciate an honest un-biased opinion.
P.S. Not that the other darksiders arent honest! That sounded wrong lol.

Last edited by coolerman69; 11-24-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added P.S.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
1.) CT's are SOFTER than MT's. Proven over and over by tire durometers, but you can use a pen. If an MT were softer than they are, they'd probably overheat due to the small contact patch.
Interesting, I'll try that.

2.) No one is riding on the damn SIDEWALL. Air pressure is adjusted for each bike/rider/style/terrain/load to eliminate wallowing from low pressure and groove tracking from too high a pressure. The tire flexes, keeping a large "D" shaped contact patch, much larger than a MT.
A 26 degree lean angle (EDIT 31-33 degrees RK/EG), and videos say differently. It means a massive deflection of the tire. If running lower inflation pressures to allow that kind of deflection, the contact patch may or may not be larger. However, if underinflated like with a car, that doesn't necessarily mean it's being fully utilized. Since motorcycles are so light, it may be a moot point. Underinflate a car tire, on a car, and the usable contact patch is reduced, although it is still physically touching the pavement.

AND PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY....CTs are not used on the front of Motorcycles??

3.) CT's are designed with certain characteristics that we find exceptional in bike usage. Rain grooves to compensate for the width (no reported hydroplaning from anyone, nor on mine at 80) torture testing that NO bike tire could ever withstand, and softer sidewalls that give us a much smoother ride, bump absorbtion, and cornering that doesn't wander. Sort of like being on rails.
Softer sidewalls in a car tire? No. Or is that due to inflation pressures? Which means it's tire deflection giving the desired contact patch, not design. What also implies squirm. It seems there is a reported handling compromise per the video but the website isn't loading very well this morning.

4.) Assymetrical tires aren't used, but tread patterns that go completely over the tread area may be "reversed" on an opposing side - no one has been able to notice any difference whatsoever in performance from this. I would expect to feel a truly assymetrical tire though.

5.) Harleys by and large don't HAVE a back brake. But suddenly one seems to work after mounting a CT. There are anecdotes denoting experiences where a CT outstopped a MT on a similar bike when riding side by side - in emergency stops, especially.
Okay

Were people to actually go on the DS forums and READ, they'd know all this. But incessantly, one after another, we find guys chiming in with their "knowledge" of the dangers of CT's having neither read about nor rode them.
And again, we see one after another switch sides after trying it. There are REASONS why virtually 99% of Darksiders say they won't ever go back to MT's, why MILLIONS of miles ridden have no reported tire failures, save for 2 Kendas ridden flat and bald.
Kinda strange for such a "dangerous" tire, ya think???
Okay, can you comment on the difference, if it has any effect, on the alignment on the front and rear contact patches when leaning?

For example, a 195 CT contact patch when leaning is farther from the center of the tire than a 195 MT due to the curvature, correct? What is the drawback, if any, in that difference in thrust alignment vs. the front tire?

And finally, why aren't CT tires used in motorcycle racing or track days? Because the lean angles are too far for the tire design and mounting, correct?

Last edited by Deuuuce; 11-25-2011 at 03:48 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:00 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Interesting, I'll try that.

A 26 degree lean angle, and videos say differently. It means a massive deflection of the tire. If running lower inflation pressures to allow that kind of deflection, the contact patch may or may not be larger. However, if underinflated like with a car, that doesn't necessarily mean it's being fully utilized. Since motorcycles are so light, it may be a moot point. Underinflate a car tire, on a car, and the usable contact patch is reduced, although it is still physically touching the pavement.

AND PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY....CTs are not used on the front of Motorcycles??

Softer sidewalls in a car tire? No. Or is that due to inflation pressures? Which means it's tire deflection giving the desired contact patch, not design. What also implies squirm. It seems there is a reported handling compromise per the video but the website isn't loading very well this morning.

Okay

Okay, can you comment on the difference, if it has any effect, on the alignment on the front and rear contact patches when leaning?

For example, a 195 CT contact patch when leaning is farther from the center of the tire than a 195 MT due to the curvature, correct? What is the drawback, if any, in that difference in thrust alignment vs. the front tire?

And finally, why aren't CT tires used in motorcycle racing or track days? Because the lean angles are too far for the tire design and mounting, correct?
As to your query about the front and rear contact patch not aligning, you can definitely feel that they are not when cornering. This mis-alignment is what dark side riders say I will get used to.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:45 PM
obritt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coolerman69
I'm still a newbie to the darkside having only logged about 600 miles on my 06 with the austone tire. I think it was Deuuce that brought up the fact that the treead design from one side to the other was different. I had never noticed this. I can say this, i have been objective and critical of the CT so far. I DONT think its inherently dangerous just because its not designed for the purpose in which we are using it. I have noticed NO difference in grip left vs right while cornering, and trust me i've done a lot of cornering in 600 miles. If I never find that "sweet spot" everyone talks about the CT will come off and i'll be here to tell you about it. Handling is very important as I am a VERY aggressive rider not just an interstate tour er.
I had previously reported the CT lacked traction compared to my old Dunlop. I tested further and realized I was TRYING to slide the rear and using probably 80% rear brake to stop. When I quit thinking about the rear tire and just rode it normally it never even made me think it MIGHT wanna slip. Straight line traction is unparalleled! Any of you that have ever experienced a hot drag slick and how good it hooks up........it's almost that good! I can ****** the front up with NO problem! I'm trying to keep an open mind here and give an accurate description of the performance to keep you informed with real-world facts. Its definitely not for everyone! A less experienced and capable rider than myself would have already fallen to the side of the naysayers. Its definitely a different feel all around! More to come.
Sorry for the novel but maybe someone will appreciate an honest un-biased opinion.
P.S. Not that the other darksiders arent honest! That sounded wrong lol.
Coolerman, as you know I too am trying to find the "sweet spot" and have not been able to. I have less miles than you, probably 200 miles bt have gone from 45 to 28 psi, not really in 2 psi incriments but close and am still looking. I also will keep posting, but as of now I do not believe I will be keeping a car tire on my bike.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:20 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by obritt
Coolerman, as you know I too am trying to find the "sweet spot" and have not been able to. I have less miles than you, probably 200 miles bt have gone from 45 to 28 psi, not really in 2 psi incriments but close and am still looking. I also will keep posting, but as of now I do not believe I will be keeping a car tire on my bike.
Obritt I havent given up yet! 40 psi was pretty good on our two up ride. I know 30 is way too soft. I'm probably gonna try 38-36 tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today