Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 10:24 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat1
I remember when I was young and very stupid and learned it did not take a sharp knife to go through the sidewall of an inflated car tire.

Also remember my days of running off road with my 4x4 pickups. thin peices of wood would easily go through the sidewall of a tire on a pickup.
I remember riding a trail mc through torn bushes and sometimes those torns would flatten the mc tire.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:26 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by highmarket
This car tire thing cracks me up!!! I`m going to run a big wheel loader tire on my bike because it last longer!!! flat tires handle better in turns ???? get a LIFE!!!
TROLL ALERT! TROLL ALERT!

Old 11-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Holzarbeiter
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat1
I remember when I was young and very stupid and learned it did not take a sharp knife to go through the sidewall of an inflated car tire.

Also remmeber my days of running off road with my 4x4 pickups. thin peices of wood would easily go through the sidewall of a tire on a pickup.
Sorry, but I have to call BS on that.
When off road, paticular rock climing you are supposed bring down the tire pressure, making a wider foot print. Sidewall punctures do not occur as often with a softer tire as with an higher inflated tire. A tire with 15 psi is harder to puncture the sidewall then a tire with 40 psi.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:00 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back to the cornering thing. I talked to a guy at the Dragon that used to run a car tire. He no longer does because he rides the mountain rodes very agressively. He lives in the mountains. He showed me his FRONT MC tire and I swear it had more wear on the sides than the middle.
If I rode mine like him, I would have stayed with the MC tire instead of going with a CT on the back. I don't live there and only accasionaly ride those roads.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:50 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 98Ultra
Back to the cornering thing. I talked to a guy at the Dragon that used to run a car tire. He no longer does because he rides the mountain rodes very agressively. He lives in the mountains. He showed me his FRONT MC tire and I swear it had more wear on the sides than the middle.
If I rode mine like him, I would have stayed with the MC tire instead of going with a CT on the back. I don't live there and only accasionaly ride those roads.
That's understandable. I live and ride in South Florida, curves are rare and mountains, forget about it. I'm riding a 943# tourer before I even get on the bike. It's not a canyon racer, it's more like a station wagon. I have flat roads and face instant down pours, gravel or sandy parking lots, rain soaked road ways, tire gators, senior citizens with the reflexes of a retarded snail, teenagers and old folks texting. The least of my worries are curves.

There's a reason why golfers have more than one golf club in their golf bag to choose from. It depends on the current condition. Since I ride a tourer on roads that are usually flat and straight, a car tire makes perfect sense mounted on the rear. Especially with the conditions that I face day to day.

I need better traction in the wet than a mc tire can provide. I need a greater load rating than a mc tire can provide. And I need greater stopping traction as well. The videos showing a car tire mounted on a Kawasaki Ninja going into a deep curve proves to me that my Harley would never exceed those lean angles on a Ninja on a car tire.

I ride better than 30K miles a year. I don't have time for 2K mile oil changes or changing tires 3 times a year.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

If anything, I corner faster on the CT. North Ga. is our weekend playground and the additional 1/2" height, plus the extra traction definitely improved the handling of the bike, after the first 100 miles or less, getting used to the countersteer pressure. I have to run head bolts welded to the underside of the floorboards to keep from scraping them away.
The only thing I worry about is the FRONT tire.
Oh, BTW, 2up with my loaded monowheel trailer will see us cornering just the same.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:44 AM
NorCal Dog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i live & ride in the twisties here in northern ca

i'm on my 2nd CT on my FatBoy, just installed a new Austone & to be quite truthful, it feels like i'm still running my 'ol avon venoms. it has a nice rounded tread, & no sharp hard edges like the comtrak did

this CT has WAY more grip & stopping power than ANY of the crap motorcycle tires that the mt manufacturers " sell " us. & it ain't gonna be totally shot in 5k like my venoms were

Old 11-22-2011, 12:48 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCal Dog
i live & ride in the twisties here in northern ca

i'm on my 2nd CT on my FatBoy, just installed a new Austone & to be quite truthful, it feels like i'm still running my 'ol avon venoms. it has a nice rounded tread, & no sharp hard edges like the comtrak did

this CT has WAY more grip & stopping power than ANY of the crap motorcycle tires that the mt manufacturers " sell " us. & it ain't gonna be totally shot in 5k like my venoms were

What year is your bike, I'd try that on my 06 if it'll work.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:59 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
If anything, I corner faster on the CT. North Ga. is our weekend playground and the additional 1/2" height, plus the extra traction definitely improved the handling of the bike, after the first 100 miles or less, getting used to the countersteer pressure. I have to run head bolts welded to the underside of the floorboards to keep from scraping them away.
The only thing I worry about is the FRONT tire.
Oh, BTW, 2up with my loaded monowheel trailer will see us cornering just the same.
Yeah.....right.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Yeah.....right.
Let me know next time you come down to the Dragon. We'll try and meet up for a shot and you can be the judge. You won't be the first and I won't be embarrassed.

Last edited by Quadancer; 11-22-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today