Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 12:13 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
I have run into a slight glitch with running the train wheel. It seems with the price of steel going up so high that they cost prohibitive at this time.
I have a couple i'll sell cheap! They didn't work out for me.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:03 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coolerman69
You can plug um
I can plug my tubeless motorcycle tires too (I know I can because I have) and if you don't have tubless style rims you still have to run a tube in a car tire. Is there any other valid reason they are easier to fix?

Last edited by mtclassic; 11-20-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:06 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coolerman69
I have a couple i'll sell cheap! They didn't work out for me.
I imagine shipping is going to be a killer.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:29 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

I can plug my tubeless motorcycle tires too (I know I can because I have) and if you don't have tubless style rims you still have to run a tube in a car tire. Is there any other valid reason they are easier to fix?
Your right you can plug a MC tire if you have the special mushroom style plugs and the gun they require to install them. Cant find them around here. Closest place to me that will plug or patch a MC tire is 80 miles away! Ridiculous i know! I've tried using the traditional style plugs and on a hot 100deg day they just pushed out after about 10 miles. I've seen several try but none succeed.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:31 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

I imagine shipping is going to be a killer.
I own half of FedEx so shipping is free!

Old 11-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Rat1
Road Master

Originally Posted by cptdenny
Handling isn't confined to only curve carving. If it were we chose the wrong brand of motorcycles for that. Handling includes, braking, wet weather handling, acceleration, contact patch, riding over gravel, load bearing.

I don't ride the superslabs much, spend most of my time on back roads with lots of curves and turn in them. I really enjoy my electraglide on these roads even though I don't ride like a racer of any sort.

Wet weather handling, I have to argue this also, flatter profile, not the same weight per square inch due to lighter vehicle, less weight per square inch to help force or push water out of the treads, greater probability of hydroplaning. Motorcycle tires have a lot less contact patch on the road giving them the ability to cut through the wet stuff better.

Gravel, well I don't ride gravel so I have nothing to add.

Braking, well I watched a guy lock up the brakes on his trike with car tires, they locked up pretty quick. I don't have a problem braking personally, I know the concept of threshold braking and use both my front and rear brakes for hard braking. For normal easy braking, I don't even touch my rear brakes.

You naysayers only argument is stuck on carving curves. Our Harleys aren't sport bikes/crotch rockets. However I provided a video of a Kawasaki Ninja carving a corner using a car tire mounted on the rear. The Kawi without a doubt while using a car tire can out corner any street Harley with a motorcycle tire mounted. At best your only argument is a weak one.

I've had at least 3 motorcycle tires that had a complete failure over the years. One front tire was brand new with less than 150 miles on it, mounted on a Gold Wing 1500.

Car tires that we use usually mount on our bikes costs about the same as a motorcycle tire if you stay away from stealerships prices. We save money on longevity and labor costs over the life of a car tire. Car tires are easier to repair than a mc tire. There are car tires that use run-flat technologies which are light years ahead of mc tires. That may not sound so important till you find yourself with a flat in a heavy neighborhood or on a Alaskian road far from civilization.

I have plugged motorcycle tires over the year with absolutly no problems. They are no harder to repair then a car tire.

If you're concern is about a lack of a rounded edge on a certain brand of car tire, then take it in to have the tire shaved at the corners and have it rounded.

The car tires available for later model years Harleys have more of a rounded edge to begin with.

If I had a choice between a car tire or mc tire for a trip to Alaska on my Harley, I wouldn't even entertain the thought of using a mc tire unless I had a chase vehicle with spare tires and mounting equipment.

Car tires on motorcycles makes sense if you ride over 15K miles a year. If you ride less, then a mc tire will serve you well.

Those that ask for proof, the VIDEO proof has been provided. If you're waiting for written reports you'll have a long wait till company accountants can figure out how to replace their profit losses. Think about it.

I have seen lots of videos, I have seen the transition in curves on some vids were the tire was inflated to proper levels. On other vids were you could not see the transition then the tire was under inflated and actually started to fold over slightly

If a tire company can create a tire for the rare Buggati Veyron top speed of over 250 mph, it should be a no brainer creating a car-like tire for our tourers. The answer lies in profit motive.
Car tires have no were near the side wall construction as motorcycle tires. They are very easily punctured at the sidewalls. Motorcycle tires tend to handle sidewall hits much better with less fear of failure due to the sidewall construction of a motorcycle tire.

Short story.

We had a guy come into our shop, he had just had 4 new tires installed but the tire store told him he needed struts etc on the car. He got a quote for the struts then came to us and got a quote. Needless to say our quote to just install the struts was less then the tire shop. Our tech installed the struts just throwing them on, knowing the car had to go get an alignment anyway. So he left the shop with too much positive camber and took it to the alignment shop a mile down the road. the tire and alignment shop see this and told our tech that he could have ruined the new tires. They pulled one of the new tires and broke the bead and the tire was starting to flake slightly in the sidewall area. Lots of rubber floating around in the tire. Mind you these were new Good year tires with only a couple miles on them. We ended up buying the guy two new front tires.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:44 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rat1
Car tires have no were near the side wall construction as motorcycle tires. They are very easily punctured at the sidewalls. Motorcycle tires tend to handle sidewall hits much better with less fear of failure due to the sidewall construction of a motorcycle tire.

Short story.

We had a guy come into our shop, he had just had 4 new tires installed but the tire store told him he needed struts etc on the car. He got a quote for the struts then came to us and got a quote. Needless to say our quote to just install the struts was less then the tire shop. Our tech installed the struts just throwing them on, knowing the car had to go get an alignment anyway. So he left the shop with too much positive camber and took it to the alignment shop a mile down the road. the tire and alignment shop see this and told our tech that he could have ruined the new tires. They pulled one of the new tires and broke the bead and the tire was starting to flake slightly in the sidewall area. Lots of rubber floating around in the tire. Mind you these were new Good year tires with only a couple miles on them. We ended up buying the guy two new front tires.
Well I really hate to do it but i gotta call BULL ****! I think they just yanked your shops chain and got a couple of tires for free!

Old 11-20-2011, 06:35 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat1

Short story.

Under the above scenario are you saying the guy would have faired better if he installed mc tires on his car?

All joking aside. Side walls on car tires are much stronger and thicker than mc side walls. It's an illusion that you see, since the car tire has a much larger side wall profile than a rounded mc tire does. I've heard of bullet proof car tires but never heard of bullet proof mc tires. I wonder why?

I remember trying to shoot with a .22 cal rifle at inflated car tires on a wrecked car at a dump when I was younger and less wise. Those bullets NEVER penetrated the tires, they would bounce off and then watch out.

Last edited by cptdenny; 11-20-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:56 PM
highmarket
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This car tire thing cracks me up!!! I`m going to run a big wheel loader tire on my bike because it last longer!!! flat tires handle better in turns ???? get a LIFE!!!

Old 11-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Rat1
Road Master

Originally Posted by cptdenny
Under the above scenario are you saying the guy would have faired better if he installed mc tires on his car?

All joking aside. Side walls on car tires are much stronger and thicker than mc side walls. It's an illusion that you see, since the car tire has a much larger side wall profile than a rounded mc tire does. I've heard of bullet proof car tires but never heard of bullet proof mc tires. I wonder why?

I remember trying to shoot with a .22 cal rifle at inflated car tires on a wrecked car at a dump when I was younger and less wise. Those bullets NEVER penetrated the tires, they would bounce off and then watch out.
I remember when I was young and very stupid and learned it did not take a sharp knife to go through the sidewall of an inflated car tire.

Also remmeber my days of running off road with my 4x4 pickups. thin peices of wood would easily go through the sidewall of a tire on a pickup.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today