Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:32 PM
flyer91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you say something over and over it will eventually be perceived as being true .... even if it isn't.
People here that don't have a clue about the details of design and manufacturing of any tire, are advising people ........ out of total ignorance and prejudice.

Make a phone call to an application engineer at 'any' tire manufacturer and see what they say.

IMHO:
If they say it's OK, and can offer up a reasons that makes sense, then go for it.
If they advise against it and can 'resonably' explain why you shouldn't, then don't do it.

The rest from 'any of us' is just flap and crap.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:19 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

if you call a tire engineer while he is at his work place and ask him about a car tire or a mc tire he will say mc tire. mc tires make his company more money and the liability issue of him saying car tires are ok will dictate his answers. lawyers and money are behind his answers, nothing else.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mav
Seems to me that a MT has much less rubber than a CT. Ya think that might have something to do with life of the tire? Not all CTs are softer than MTs and vise versa.
Thus far they seem to be, but you may be right there. Lacking a Tire Durometer, you can take a ball point pen and push it into your CT then your MT and from what I've seen, immediately notice it sinks into the CT more with the same pressure, even if you have someone do it who doesn't know what they're doing it for. (to eliminate personal bias).

The contact patches are undeniably larger, also when cornering. I don't think there are even any urban myths out there; most of the naysayers just pop out what they "think" is right, because at first, it seems logically so.

There are reasons Darksiders don't go back. You have to ride it, acclimate the neural learning similar to changing bikes, and adjust your tire for the sweet spot. If not willing to go there, you shouldn't cross over or speak up.
How many of you use WD40 as a lubricant? It isn't.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:35 PM
flyer91
Tourer

Originally Posted by bagga
if you call a tire engineer while he is at his work place and ask him about a car tire or a mc tire he will say mc tire. mc tires make his company more money and the liability issue of him saying car tires are ok will dictate his answers. lawyers and money are behind his answers, nothing else.

Well you do have to ask the right questions, but more importantly ... you need to ask the smart way ... like "can you define the differences between motorcycle tire design and car tire design" without tipping your hand at what you are looking for.
Then from there continue to ask intelligent questions based upon the answers the ap eng. gives you.

For example ... if he says rubber durometer, ask him what that is, and how it's different/important.
Do the same for profile, belt fabric, # of belt layers and etc.

If you use this type of questioning you'll soon be able to tell the BS from the real info .... during 'any' discussion, on 'any' topic, or any 'story' a fellow is telling you.

Just ask the what, why, when, where, and how, to his responses and keep spiraling in on the answers.
If a person is making stuff up they will soon be tripped up, and start stammering and/or making adjustments to thier statements .......... 'if' you ask intelligently.

You may just find out it 'is' all just because they can get more money for MC tires, or you may find out there is a real and significant difference. In either case ... you will learn something for nothing but your time.

Last edited by flyer91; 11-07-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:52 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

I might cut corners on car tires, there are four of them.
Bike tires.....No way!

Old 11-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bagga
So it's not possible that a tire engineer might know more about tires than you do?

I've certainly never tried a car tire but why do they make both if there is no advantage?

Old 11-07-2010, 04:32 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Folks,

This is exactly what happened the last time, and made the thread so long and boring. Everybody bringing in their tire engineer cousins, friends of friends, significant others, etc. And all this to prove a point that they don't work.

Car tires would not work on all motorcycles. They would certainly not work in a sports bike, I don't think you could lean that far in a bike with a car tire, though there are some darkside videos out there that sometimes make me doubt this, lol.

Then there is the handling. You have to make a more conscious effort of countersteering, because the bike will have a greater tendency to stand up, and the same in a heavily crowned road, you have to keep a firm grip or the bike will want to go downhill, towards the side of the road. And that is that for the Cons of a car tire. We already know that they are different, in construction and profile, and for our application, a car tire is over built and it works. And it works good.

Regards,

Old 11-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Mav
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quadancer my statement was just that, a statement. I'd go further to state it's a fact but I'm not an engineer. Point is that as a general rule of thumb, one is not always softer than the other. I recently stopped drag racing/sold my turbo Hayabusa and graduated to Touring Harleys so I know a few things about tire compounds b/c of my yrs of related experience.

I'm going to give this a try on my Ultra. I PM'd TooEasy to say as much and more. It can't be any worse than using non HD oil and oil filters lmao. Well I guess I could crash, my insurance not pay (read 32 pages of ppl talking bout it) and maybe even die but I don't really worry too much bout that. When my 407 goes I think I have $100 lying around to give this a try...

Old 11-07-2010, 05:23 PM
flyer91
Tourer

If not so serious a subject, it would be laughable that as soon as it's suggested that a person find out ..... from an authority on the subject ...... be it an ap eng, racing teams, or safety engineers (DOT) ..... you "just do it" guys go running off about it causing threads to be too long (???), after 'you' quoting and providing 'exactly' the same type of ..... "the cousin of a fellow, links to similarly unsubstantiated threads, and so freely use non-impirical (theoretical only) data to establish cause and effect (and other such 'video' nonsense) as proof that it's that it's perfectly OK.

Just provide 'only one' it's "OK to do", from a knowledgeable and 'verified' source, that posses the education, training and a career specifically involved in the subject.

Just one ..... but 'verifiable' as being an authority.
If pressed I can provide a number of sources of same "pedigree" that will say not to do it.
But you ..... "I've been doing it for that past X years" ... 'think' you know better, and try to imply, or even just outright say, "it's all a conspiracy by the tire companies of the world" (who operate in a competative marke) to make us pay more for less performance and longevity.
Your analogy is on par with I never wore a condom, and I don't have aids ..... so it's all good 'and 'the "performance" is better, it feels better, doesn't create a hazardous waste by product, so no worries ... just do it!!

Are you really this naive??

Last edited by flyer91; 11-07-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Mav
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Life is like an analogy.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today