Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:21 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still don't understand the need to argue that using a car tire is a bad thing. Must be a control thing. I'd hate to go through life like that.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:52 AM
shvlrydr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
I can not give you the exact date but a few years ago 15 or so miles west o Missoula, Mt on I90 there was a double fatality on a motorcycle running a car tire, it was a boss hog. I doubt you will find any real statistics on motorcycle deaths and car tires because as far as I know at least in montana there is nothing in the crash report that specifies what kind of tires are being used on the crash vehicle.

Kind of like saying no drunk drivers were killed while drinking Bud light. I have yet to see them specifiy what brand of beer/wine/whiskey etc. so being it is not specified it must not have happened.

Me personally I am awaiting more feedback on the train wheels before I make a choice.
a boss hoss COMES with a car tire on the back from the factory...also a 400lb or so V-8 CAR engine.. LOL

Old 11-20-2011, 10:13 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by obritt
Well after all the talk and biting back and forth I decided to try the Austone Taxi tire on my '07 Ultra. I have put about 200 miles on it and if I don't find the "sweet spot" soon I will have one for sell. I just don't like the way it feels. I'm trying different tire pressures and have gone from 40 to 30 lbs and still have not fins a pressure that makes it feel right. I am not kocking car tires if that is what you want to run I'm just saying they may not be for me.
I thought 30 was way too soft. I'm goin down to 38 (at 40 now)on my next ride. I too havent found the "sweet spot". The ability to wheelie is drastically improved!

Old 11-20-2011, 11:14 AM
obritt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would say 200 miles is not a great test... did you go from 40 to 30 psi in 1 shot?

Yes, I know 200 miles is not a lot, and yes I went from 40 to 30 in one shot, and I'm going to adjust in increments of 2, but I'm just not sure there is a sweet spot. It feels very "squirrly" when taking a curve. The slower the worse it feels. Kinda like when your motorcycle tire is way worn out. Ilove the way it looks, but I'm just not sure I can live with this "squirrely" feeling.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:30 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat1
Don't tell me it is for handling because I have to call BS on that.

Pick your poison I guess. If you want longer tire life then go ahead and make the jump but don't go saying the handling is better or the same because that is not possible.
Handling isn't confined to only curve carving. If it were we chose the wrong brand of motorcycles for that. Handling includes, braking, wet weather handling, acceleration, contact patch, riding over gravel, load bearing.

You naysayers only argument is stuck on carving curves. Our Harleys aren't sport bikes/crotch rockets. However I provided a video of a Kawasaki Ninja carving a corner using a car tire mounted on the rear. The Kawi without a doubt while using a car tire can out corner any street Harley with a motorcycle tire mounted. At best your only argument is a weak one.

I've had at least 3 motorcycle tires that had a complete failure over the years. One front tire was brand new with less than 150 miles on it, mounted on a Gold Wing 1500.

Car tires that we use usually mount on our bikes costs about the same as a motorcycle tire if you stay away from stealerships prices. We save money on longevity and labor costs over the life of a car tire. Car tires are easier to repair than a mc tire. There are car tires that use run-flat technologies which are light years ahead of mc tires. That may not sound so important till you find yourself with a flat in a heavy neighborhood or on a Alaskian road far from civilization.

If you're concern is about a lack of a rounded edge on a certain brand of car tire, then take it in to have the tire shaved at the corners and have it rounded.

The car tires available for later model years Harleys have more of a rounded edge to begin with.

If I had a choice between a car tire or mc tire for a trip to Alaska on my Harley, I wouldn't even entertain the thought of using a mc tire unless I had a chase vehicle with spare tires and mounting equipment.

Car tires on motorcycles makes sense if you ride over 15K miles a year. If you ride less, then a mc tire will serve you well.

Those that ask for proof, the VIDEO proof has been provided. If you're waiting for written reports you'll have a long wait till company accountants can figure out how to replace their profit losses. Think about it.

If a tire company can create a tire for the rare Buggati Veyron top speed of over 250 mph, it should be a no brainer creating a car-like tire for our tourers. The answer lies in profit motive.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:51 AM
trk35
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Well said Denny!! Now about your daughter. I am a firefighter, does that get foot in the door?

Old 11-20-2011, 11:57 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

curious why car tires mounted on motorcycles are easier to repair then motorcycle tires?

Old 11-20-2011, 11:58 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have run into a slight glitch with running the train wheel. It seems with the price of steel going up so high that they cost prohibitive at this time.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:11 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
curious why car tires mounted on motorcycles are easier to repair then motorcycle tires?
You can plug um

Old 11-20-2011, 12:11 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by trk35
Well said Denny!! Now about your daughter. I am a firefighter, does that get foot in the door?
LOL, that's entirely up to my daughter. I do know she's not interested in girly-men. Now we're hijacking the thread.

We can aways start a dating thread I suppose.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today