Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 10:14 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mighty Nation
I have a better idea, since you are the one who wants proof, you provide the proof he is wrong.
I can not give you the exact date but a few years ago 15 or so miles west o Missoula, Mt on I90 there was a double fatality on a motorcycle running a car tire, it was a boss hog. I doubt you will find any real statistics on motorcycle deaths and car tires because as far as I know at least in montana there is nothing in the crash report that specifies what kind of tires are being used on the crash vehicle.

Kind of like saying no drunk drivers were killed while drinking Bud light. I have yet to see them specifiy what brand of beer/wine/whiskey etc. so being it is not specified it must not have happened.

Me personally I am awaiting more feedback on the train wheels before I make a choice.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Mighty Nation
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
I can not give you the exact date but a few years ago 15 or so miles west o Missoula, Mt on I90 there was a double fatality on a motorcycle running a car tire, it was a boss hog. I doubt you will find any real statistics on motorcycle deaths and car tires because as far as I know at least in montana there is nothing in the crash report that specifies what kind of tires are being used on the crash vehicle.

Kind of like saying no drunk drivers were killed while drinking Bud light. I have yet to see them specifiy what brand of beer/wine/whiskey etc. so being it is not specified it must not have happened.

Me personally I am awaiting more feedback on the train wheels before I make a choice.

So you are saying someone died on a bike so it must have been the fault of the tire he was using. That is your proof? Nobody has made the claim a CT will guarantee you will not get into a wreck. All we said is they don't cause them. Where is your proof the CT caused that wreck?

Last edited by Mighty Nation; 11-19-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:32 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic

I bought an airline ticket one day and two planes crashed into the twin towers, do you think I caused that?

Old 11-19-2011, 06:10 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jjnoble
I bought an airline ticket one day and two planes crashed into the twin towers, do you think I caused that?
exactly

Old 11-19-2011, 06:14 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member

So you are saying someone died on a bike so it must have been the fault of the tire he was using. That is your proof? Nobody has made the claim a CT will guarantee you will not get into a wreck. All we said is they don't cause them. Where is your proof the CT caused that wreck?
what I am saying is that I doubt any state keeps statistics on whether or not a motorcycle was running a car tire or not so no way to know. With out proper statistics you can not claim one way or another unless every single motorcycle crash is investigated and the cause of the wreck and the tire used is documented.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:15 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a better idea, since you are the one who wants proof, you provide the proof he is wrong.
Tire accidents are only catagorized as tire failures. IE blow outs etc.

I have seen many accident stories of people loosing control but no were in these stories was there anything to do with types of tires used, MT or CT.

I have searched the internet before for this and all I could find were arguments similar to this.

I can tell you that Car tires were never designed to handle the sideloads of being ridden up on edge for any period of time. Well there are some performance tires that can handle extreme sideloads from heavy cornering but they are usually very flat and wide tires. Something that will never fit on a bagger.

Personally, I don't like the transition from a flat profile face to getting up on edge in a curve. My old tire was worn flat along the face and it had an abrupt transition when getting into a lean. I installed a new tire and the transition is now buttery smooth.

I understand the reasoning behind making the jump to car tires. Motorcycle tires are expensive and have a very short life span when compared to car tires. Don't tell me it is for handling because I have to call BS on that.

Pick your poison I guess. If you want longer tire life then go ahead and make the jump but don't go saying the handling is better or the same because that is not possible.

But the member told him to do some home work or study the statistics safety or whatever. told him to back up his claims. Well please give us some place to see actual statistics either way.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:40 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

When cornering hard in a car...I suspect the side load is much greater on the sidewall than a motorcycle will ever put on it...Just my opinion.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:29 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,164 Likes on 3,675 Posts

The actual performance on a Car Tire will never be that of a Motorcycle tire, that is fact. Given the way we ride out big fat touring machines i think performance can somewhat be almost taken out of the equation....For most part the riders that go to the dark side do a lot of touring, i guess some twisty riding occasionally but all the guys i know that are on the dark side did it for longevity...Period... The also say that the performance aspect of the C/T is not as negative as they thought it would be...Well not negative enough to take it off...I ask all the guys i see on C/T if the handling in the curves is compromised and they all say that the only time they know they have a C/T on the back is at very low speed, but as soon as they get above parking lot speeds the don't feel any adverse effects.
I rode my friends Goldwing with a Michelin on the back and confirmed that...He has 12000 miles on it and another frien has around 40000 miles on one another guy that rides with one has a lot more miles....
I am not sitting here saying it's safer, it's faster, it corners better or it's designed better but a lot of people use it without any more adverse effects than a M/C tire...
When i get through using up the 3 tires i got at a bargain i will be trying one of those Austones Taxi tires on mine...i can't help it i have to...I have almost 70000 miles on my 07 and with the new cam and power commander i am way to throttle happy and shredding tires like some kid....
I think this is a very personal decision to make and the detractors would like for you to think you made a stupid on, i say just try for yourself.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:13 AM
obritt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after all the talk and biting back and forth I decided to try the Austone Taxi tire on my '07 Ultra. I have put about 200 miles on it and if I don't find the "sweet spot" soon I will have one for sell. I just don't like the way it feels. I'm trying different tire pressures and have gone from 40 to 30 lbs and still have not fins a pressure that makes it feel right. I am not kocking car tires if that is what you want to run I'm just saying they may not be for me.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,164 Likes on 3,675 Posts

Originally Posted by obritt
Well after all the talk and biting back and forth I decided to try the Austone Taxi tire on my '07 Ultra. I have put about 200 miles on it and if I don't find the "sweet spot" soon I will have one for sell. I just don't like the way it feels. I'm trying different tire pressures and have gone from 40 to 30 lbs and still have not fins a pressure that makes it feel right. I am not kocking car tires if that is what you want to run I'm just saying they may not be for me.
I would say 200 miles is not a great test... did you go from 40 to 30 psi in 1 shot? Might want to go in smaller increments...WHat don't you like about it...Just curious...

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today