Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:31 AM
Mighty Nation
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coolerman69
I'm at 40 now. What do you suggest?

Read the data, you need at least 500 miles to break it in, some say 1000 miles. Do that at max pressure, then drop it a couple pounds at a time until you get to what you like. That differs for everyone. Most like it around 32 lbs, some as low as 28 lbs.

Is your tire a good one? If it were on a car would it get good traction and long life? Just because it fits does not mean it is a good tire. What do others that have used that particular tire have to say about it?

Also car tires feel different, when you corner they have give and makes it a cushy ride, at times that can feel a bit like slipping. when you get it broke in and the air pressure right, and it still slips then I'd say that tire is no good to begin with and it is going to slip on anything you put it on. But most probably you just need to break it in and set the air pressure.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:05 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hougz79
Not for me. I don't mind spending a couple hundred bucks a year or so......
I got tired of replacing my rear tire two times a year. Some of us put more miles on ours, that is why I went to a car tire.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mighty Nation
Read the data, you need at least 500 miles to break it in, some say 1000 miles. Do that at max pressure, then drop it a couple pounds at a time until you get to what you like. That differs for everyone. Most like it around 32 lbs, some as low as 28 lbs.

Is your tire a good one? If it were on a car would it get good traction and long life? Just because it fits does not mean it is a good tire. What do others that have used that particular tire have to say about it?

Also car tires feel different, when you corner they have give and makes it a cushy ride, at times that can feel a bit like slipping. when you get it broke in and the air pressure right, and it still slips then I'd say that tire is no good to begin with and it is going to slip on anything you put it on. But most probably you just need to break it in and set the air pressure.
After my first post i got to thinkin about my mileage. I have right at 500 miles on it. I have the Austone175r16 taxi tire. Its the only one currently in production that will fit 07 down bikes so if it is determined it generally sucks as a tire i'm out of luck. It is advertised as a 100k mile tire on a taxi! Yeah optimistic I know. Running 40 now which is the max psi according to the sticker that was on the tire but the sidewall says 55. I ran 42 for a while 40 then 38 then decided to put some miles at 40 for the break in. Rode 150 miles this past weekend 2 up and the wife loved it. Said it was a lot more comfortable.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You want that bike to be like it is riding on rails!!

Originally Posted by Challenger
I'm having a train tire installed on my Electra this winter.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:47 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cptdenny
40 psi is way too much. Drop down to 25 psi for starters. You may need to tweak either up or down from there. It all depends on the tire brand in order to find that sweet spot.

Ride safe.
Are you running a car tire on that roadie in your picture? If so does it have only 28psi?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:36 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by kgjl
Is your daughter good looking? And single?
Not only is she good looking and single, she's educated as well. She's a 34 yo physician, with no baggage and no student loans.

Now what are you bringing to the table?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:40 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Are you running a car tire on that roadie in your picture? If so does it have only 28psi?
Not yet. Just purchased the roadie last month. I'm just under 3K miles on the stock OEM tires.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:02 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cptdenny
Not yet. Just purchased the roadie last month. I'm just under 3K miles on the stock OEM tires.
LOL I was about to be impressed!

Old 11-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Mighty Nation
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After my first post i got to thinkin about my mileage. I have right at 500 miles on it. I have the Austone175r16 taxi tire. Its the only one currently in production that will fit 07 down bikes so if it is determined it generally sucks as a tire i'm out of luck. It is advertised as a 100k mile tire on a taxi! Yeah optimistic I know. Running 40 now which is the max psi according to the sticker that was on the tire but the sidewall says 55. I ran 42 for a while 40 then 38 then decided to put some miles at 40 for the break in. Rode 150 miles this past weekend 2 up and the wife loved it. Said it was a lot more comfortable.

Sounds like your doing it the right way. I like mine best in the 28/30 pound range, for single, for 2up around 30/32 is good.

How many pounds did it take to seat the tire? Keep everyone updated on how that tire works out, there are a lot of people who would like to get one if they prove to be a good tire.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:08 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mighty Nation
Sounds like your doing it the right way. I like mine best in the 28/30 pound range, for single, for 2up around 30/32 is good.

How many pounds did it take to seat the tire? Keep everyone updated on how that tire works out, there are a lot of people who would like to get one if they prove to be a good tire.
Due to a malfunction of the gauge on the tire machine my initial pressure was 30psi. Gauge said 40. It felt just like a half flat mc tire feels. Rode home and discovered the problem, added air. Tire seated at about 35psi but i had it well lubed.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today