Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:00 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I want to do this and I need tires soon. Are you guys that are using a CT using any particular brand/model?

Also correct me if I'm wrong, the correct size for an 09' RK is a 195/60/16?

Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spiker
About a thousand miles on my CT since I started this thread.(riding time has been limited since I'm at home with my 2yr old grandson)The more miles I put on the more I like it.Looking forward to this weekend,A 300 mile trip to Gonzee's HD Forum get together.

Awesome, it just gets better and better. Ride with the confidence that blowouts are a thing of the past, and riding way above GVWR is no big deal.

Regards,

Old 06-01-2011, 10:46 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JakeInMa
I want to do this and I need tires soon. Are you guys that are using a CT using any particular brand/model?

Also correct me if I'm wrong, the correct size for an 09' RK is a 195/60/16?

Jake,

You are correct in the 195/60-16 size.

When I got mine, there were only about three choices on TireRack.com, but after reading a little about the Dunlop SP5000 I decided to buy that one. Some people on other forums have had good experiences with the Bridgestone Turanza EL 400. I found mine for 89.00 at another website, but they jacked up the price since, so do a good search for best price.

One more thing, 3 oz of DynaBeads work good instead of weights.

Regards,

Old 06-01-2011, 11:01 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
Roberto,

I noticed that you are running your tire at 30 psi now. Weren't you running it at 28 psi not too long ago? Any big difference in the ride? If no, why did you change the pressure? Enquiring minds and all...

I'm so tempted to try this, but I just put a new Avon Cobra on the rear about a thousand miles ago. Maybe the next tire change.

I kept changing back and forth from 28 PSI, which is really sweet for solo riding, and 34 PSI for two-up. Eventually, I got tired of this, so I started leaving it at 32 all the time, then 30. Every time we went for a ride, at gas stops I used to put my hand on the tire to make sure it wasn't overheating, but I couldn't tell any difference in temperature at any of those pressures, so now I leave it at 30 PSI all the time. There is a huge difference in comfort between a CT at 30 PSI and a rock hard D407 at 40 PSI, the CT is like seating on my sofa, lol. Then, the low pressure doesn't mean it will wobble in the turns either, it doesn't.

Wear out your Avon tire first, no need to get in a hurry.

Regards,

Old 06-01-2011, 11:43 PM
lv2ride56
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and please tell me what car tire gives you 60K to 80K miles cause I've been driving for almost 40 years and I've yet to find one that lasts 40K.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should buy something more expensive than a Yugo

Old 06-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I have to agree. I think the manufacturers claim is on a tire driven in a straight line at 30-40 mph to get that mileage, because I never got the claimed mileage and I drive for fuel economy in my trucks.
Bike is a different story. One of many reasons I'm on the Darkside for good.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lv2ride56
Oh and please tell me what car tire gives you 60K to 80K miles cause I've been driving for almost 40 years and I've yet to find one that lasts 40K.

Michelin - Spend the money, get the miles.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:21 PM
eidolon
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lv2ride56
Oh and please tell me what car tire gives you 60K to 80K miles cause I've been driving for almost 40 years and I've yet to find one that lasts 40K.
I had to change the Bridgestones on my Amigo a couple of years ago because of sidewall cracking... they had a little over 50,000 on them and were 11 years old. Tread depth was still fine...

seeya
eidolon

Old 06-06-2011, 08:02 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK, I did it. I ordered a tire tonight. After doing some reading on the Dark Side, I went with a Hankook Optimo H426. I saw some good reviews on this tire from other riders and thought I'd give it a try. I picked it up for $91 and change, plus shipping (couldn't find free shipping on this tire).

Any thoughts from those of you who have this tire?

Thanks!

Last edited by JakeInMa; 06-06-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeInMa
OK, I did it. I ordered a tire tonight. After doing some reading on the Dark Side, I went with a Hankook Optimo H426. I saw some good reviews on this tire from other riders and thought I'd give it a try. I picked it up for $91 and change, plus shipping (couldn't find free shipping on this tire).

Any thoughts from those of you who have this tire?

Thanks!
I just happened to have been reading a thread with the same question tonight:
http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/t3699-hankook-tires

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today