Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow, that's an expensive sonuvagun...and assymetrical, which we don't use, but I don't believe you were recommending it.
Good call on the grip factor to be watched - thus far, 12k on my Comtrac and it's like new tread and gripwise. But that's just one model - other results may vary.
As far as cornering, I've never seen better; I like the way it feels like being on a rail and stays in the direction I point it. Even my Pirelli Night Dragon tended to wander a bit. Once the neural adjustment is made to the countersteer pressure, it's like you own it.
Many of us ride 'em like we stole 'em:

Last edited by Quadancer; 05-30-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Badfinger
Just saw this review on Consumer Search, I'd keep an eye on that tire as it ages:

The Dunlop SP Sport 5000 is a performance all-season tire that also comes highly recommended by critics. Owners say it gets very good traction -- especially on dry roads -- when it is new, and the SP Sport 5000 gets the highest possible traction rating in government-mandated tests. But the SP Sport 5000 also carries the lowest government tread-wear rating of any highly recommended tire in this category.

Owners agree that the SP Sport 5000 wears out quickly, and as it ages, several owners report that the SP Sport 5000 begins to hydroplane and otherwise fall short of its early performance.

The Dunlop SP Sport 5000 gets one of the best traction ratings at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's website, but owner reviews indicate that this tire's traction changes drastically as it ages.
I have no dog in this fight, but I find it rather amusing that they make a point of a tire losing traction due to age and mileage.....

Sadly the volume of sarcastic remarks to this article is just overwhelming me, so I'll end it here....

Old 05-31-2011, 06:15 AM
ranger351w
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All I say is run what ya brung! I don't care if anyone runs a steel tractor tire!
I have been around more decades than I care to talk about and 2/3rds of them were on bikes. I have seen car tires on lots of 50s bikes 60s bike on up and never saw one "Cause a wreck"
I myself have had two flats and 1 blowout and never had a wreck. Lucky maybe but wrecks usualy happen to the unprepaired .
That all said I will put a ct on my 2011 RK as soon as the rear tire is shot! Known a lot of guys that did it and always seemed to work well.

But that's just me
Mike

Keep on Keepin on!
Found at
seipsg.net

Old 05-31-2011, 07:01 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

As of my last post, I've said all there is to be said by now, so I'm out of it.
People are gonna believe or not believe, fear or not fear, invent their own "facts" or try it for real, criticize or cross over, care or not care, and of course, there's always the dumbass who doesn't read the thread and chimes in with the same old crap debated to death already.
Me, I have riding to do and a campout this weekend. Catch us at Lake Winfield Ga. - I'll SHOW ya what this tire can do!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:08 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I found an Indy that's willing to be my ticket to the dark side as soon as I can wear out my stock Dunlop on my '10 RK. I got 7.5K on the tire now. I figure about August I'll be joining the DARK SIDE.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:14 AM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
As of my last post, I've said all there is to be said by now, so I'm out of it.
People are gonna believe or not believe, fear or not fear, invent their own "facts" or try it for real, criticize or cross over, care or not care, and of course, there's always the dumbass who doesn't read the thread and chimes in with the same old crap debated to death already.
Me, I have riding to do and a campout this weekend. Catch us at Lake Winfield Ga. - I'll SHOW ya what this tire can do!
I'd ask how the road noise from the CT is, but I doubt you've heard it. The CT cannot possibly whine as much as you do.....

Old 06-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Aw, go buy some tires. I'm sure you need them by now.
I know it's gotta be tough to be proven wrong.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:05 AM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought a new bike, which for some inexplicable reason didn't come with a car tire on it.

The Man is keeping you down. We know.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:33 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

What is the consensus on which car tires are the best performing ones for a 2010 Road King?

What is the average car tire life on a HD Tourer?

Looking forward in pi$$ing off more naysayers.

Dark Siders are the new pioneers!

Old 06-01-2011, 09:56 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

I find it strange that all the naysayers seem to have some personal stake in all this...

It was as if the OP was going to force the naysayers daughters to use car tires... Why are you all so threatened?

I don't like gangster apes on a bike, i think they look silly and I have reservation on their ergonomics. That said, I have never posted on someone's giant ape thread to slam them. Not only that , but I have never done it over and over again...

Matt, do you own stock in a motorcycle tire company? Why is what some other biker does such a personal issue to you? Are you Quad's mother?
I just don't get it.

If you want to rant about something dangerous surely you can find a better subject that this... Even with just a tiny bit of effort...

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today