Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:00 AM
dex0807
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motorcycle tires are made with a softer compound for better grip. If you lose traction with one tire in a car, no big deal. But on a scoot..... This is why car tires last longer because they are a harder compund designed for long life. But to each his own.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:56 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dex0807
Motorcycle tires are made with a softer compound for better grip. If you lose traction with one tire in a car, no big deal. But on a scoot..... This is why car tires last longer because they are a harder compund designed for long life. But to each his own.
People should compare MC and CT with the same kind of compound. A MC tire is equivalent to a Z rated car tire, not H or V.
Z rated tires have pretty much the same longevity as MC tires and they're not cheap.
Also, when people talk about mileage with their CTs, they often don't consider the road conditions where they ride. Here in PA, the roads are tough on tires. Lots of hills with lots of turns and the asphalt is very abrasive. I wouldn't have the same reservations about car tires if I was riding in FL or OK.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:39 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spiker
Had a Dunlap SP5000 put on my 09 Road King,awesome!The indy mechanic,who built allot of custom bikes, that put it on took it for a ride said this would cut way down on his tire sales. He was really impressed how it rode and handled.Don't think I'll be going back to a MT,just wish I could find one to fit my 02.Thanks to TooEasy for all the info.
Can you post a photo of how it looks mounted? Not something I would do but am interested in how it looks mounted up.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:45 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultrathunder
Maybe the ones who had CT on a MC are not here anymore, to talk about the problems they had.??????
Let me talk about my problems with my car tire, after 7,000 miles:

1. Cruising two-up at 85+ MPH is absolutely stable, the winds from the 18 wheelers don't bother it like before.

2. Really good in heavy rain, water is displaced to the sides and the rear and it leaves a clean pat. You can see this if you ride with someone with a CT.

3. Comfortable ride, normally 28 PSI and 32-34 two-up, 34 when its overloaded

4. Shorter stopping distances, the back brake is now really useful.

5. It runs cooler than my front Elite 3 radial. That means that if it looses pressure from a slow leak, chances are it will not overheat and fail. The tire blowing up? are you kidding me?

6. If I ever get a flat, I'll put a plug in it and forget about it. No need to buy another one. Its overbuilt for my application.

7. Twisty roads are the best part. Awesome traction in the curves. Do a search for other threads on this. Yes, Elaine, I can still flick it from side to side just as easy.

8. Once committed to a turn, if I run into debris or something, I can run over it or change my line right in the middle of the turn, without my bike getting out of composure.

9. Rock stable. It wasn't like this even when it was new. No wobbles, no fishtailing, no sliding out from under me.

10. The more load you pile on it, the more stable it gets.

11. Not affected by gravel in a turn to the same degree that it affects MT's

12. All this and only $89.95 for my new tire. But its not about the savings. I'd be dumb if I didn't consider everything I just said and focus on savings. ITS ABOUT THE RIDE!

No hell no, I am not going back to a MC tire.

Spiker, it takes big brass ***** to make changes so drastic, and you are going to catch hell, but 10,000 miles from now, you are going to look at your tire and see no wear, and consider the ride, and you will be one happy rider. I got the same reaction when I did mine, people told me I was going to crash and burn, that it was blasphemy, be excommunicated from church, burn in hell, and here I am, enjoying the hell out of it.
Drive on.

Regards,
Roberto

Last edited by TooEasy; 11-06-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:02 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

TooEasy,
Have you ever checked with your insurance company to see if you're covered? I'm curious, I talked to my agent (Progressive) we have through USAA (wifes a vet to) and our agent said they won't cover most accidents since the tire isn't designed for the application. I'm not sure if he knows what he's talking about, but I do know that insurance companies look for reasons to get out of a claim so that's enough to ward me off of the idea. If it works for you that's great, I have yet to hear many negatives from the people that actually run them. Seems everybody has an opinion.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:17 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by harleytuner
TooEasy,
Have you ever checked with your insurance company to see if you're covered? I'm curious, I talked to my agent (Progressive) we have through USAA (wifes a vet to) and our agent said they won't cover most accidents since the tire isn't designed for the application. I'm not sure if he knows what he's talking about, but I do know that insurance companies look for reasons to get out of a claim so that's enough to ward me off of the idea. If it works for you that's great, I have yet to hear many negatives from the people that actually run them. Seems everybody has an opinion.
Yes.
I also have Progressive thorugh USAA, and I called their Headquarters, thinking that a local agent might want to have his own interpretation of the contract. Their simple answer was YES. They will cover it.
Its DOT approved and there is NOTHING in the contract excluding a car tire, a local agent cannot change that.
This is another horse that got beat to death, but the fact is that its covered.

Regards,

Old 11-06-2010, 03:19 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always scoffed at the idea of a ct on an mc, but damn those pics are pretty impressive.....

I have the esp on my 09, and tend to pick up alot of nails so I have 3 more years to consider this.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TooEasy
Yes.
I also have Progressive thorugh USAA, and I called their Headquarters, thinking that a local agent might want to have his own interpretation of the contract. Their simple answer was YES. They will cover it.
Its DOT approved and there is NOTHING in the contract excluding a car tire, a local agent cannot change that.
This is another horse that got beat to death, but the fact is that its covered.

Regards,
I called my Agent at Allstate. He said no problem with coverage using a CT on my MC. where did you find the tire so cheap TooEasy? I was bidding on a rim last night on ebay, but lost it! It was the Mags my bike was supposed to come with, but they upgraded to smooth profile chrome laced wheels.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:42 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ronp42
I called my Agent at Allstate. He said no problem with coverage using a CT on my MC. where did you find the tire so cheap TooEasy? I was bidding on a rim last night on ebay, but lost it! It was the Mags my bike was supposed to come with, but they upgraded to smooth profile chrome laced wheels.

Here:

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...ort=P&dsco=135

Regards,

Old 11-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TooEasy
Thanks, I asked about a tire I could run on my wire wheels with a tube. They said they didn't have one for that application. I'll keep looking on Ebay for a set of rims. I've got over 10K on my Dunlop 407 and it still looks great so I have plenty of time. Thanks for the info TooEasy, Ride Safe!!

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today