Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 04:38 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I like how the DS'ers a quick to jump on people who don't think running a car tire is for them. They are apparantly "clueless" because they don't mind paying for MT's.

Running a car tire is not for me, so now I am "clueless, live in a box and I throw my money away".
Don't worry, 99.9% of us are clueless and "sheeple", according to this definition.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:52 PM
nickwnn
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont understand trying to save a few bucks on a tire when you have a $20k bike you still can get 8 - 10000 miles out of a set, with a sport bike i was replacing both tires every 4 - 5000 miles and you and you had to spend $4 - 500 a set for anything decent and that was without taking it to the track

Old 11-18-2010, 05:04 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by nickwnn
i dont understand trying to save a few bucks on a tire when you have a $20k bike you still can get 8 - 10000 miles out of a set, with a sport bike i was replacing both tires every 4 - 5000 miles and you and you had to spend $4 - 500 a set for anything decent and that was without taking it to the track
You should run car tires on your sport bike. lol They handle just as well as MT's maybe even better, lol, you's save a ton of cash and as light as the sport bike is you'd probably get 150,000 miles out of a tire, lol, not to mention your brakes will finally work right!! lol If you don't run a car tire on it you're closed minded and living in a box dude. lol

Oh yeah, lol

Old 11-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Crusher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put MC tires on my Vette. Man, what a difference.......lol

Old 11-18-2010, 10:21 PM
NorCal Dog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nickwnn
i dont understand trying to save a few bucks on a tire
it's not about " saving a few bucks on a tire "

i used to run avon venoms on the rear, the last venom i put on was in march. i got 5000 miles on it before the wear bars were showing, & at $160. ea, plus mounting ( say $40. ) rear tires are $200. a pop
i've got almost 10,000 miles on this CT with no signs of wear, so that's almost a $200. savings right there ( i hope you can keep up with the simple math )
will probably get 20,000 miles ( a very conservative estimate ) on my rear now, so i think that the " few bucks on a tire " thing sounds mighty weak

most of these tire co's out there are selling both MC tires & auto tires, but the motorcycle market has to just bend over & take it while they sell us tires that only get from 5/13k at most ? while the auto side of it gets a choice of different mileage warranties from 30k thru 80k ??? & that's ok with you ?

they could make a tire that gets much better mileage, but what's their incentive to do so ? none whatsoever, because you guys are happy to hand your cash over, & over, & over every few thousand miles

hey crusher, when you put a new set of tires on that shiny vette, do you buy the ones that are gonna be shot in the next 9000 mi ?

Old 11-18-2010, 10:29 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I love to ride ~20,000 miles a year but I still got to like how a motorcycle looks and that just don't cut it in the looks department. Kind of like a gal that keeps the house clean, cooks great, but is a fat in the bottom gal. I would rather have the sloppy house keeper and microwave queen with a tight ***.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:40 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCal Dog
it's not about " saving a few bucks on a tire "

i used to run avon venoms on the rear, the last venom i put on was in march. i got 5000 miles on it before the wear bars were showing, & at $160. ea, plus mounting ( say $40. ) rear tires are $200. a pop
If you're getting 5K out of a tire, you're riding the wrong bike. Price is dictated by demand. How many car tires are sold every year? And how many bike tires? This car tire **** is getting old.

Last edited by JonnyD; 11-18-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:49 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

i've got almost 10,000 miles on this CT with no signs of wear, so that's almost a $200. savings right there ( i hope you can keep up with the simple math )
will probably get 20,000 miles ( a very conservative estimate ) on my rear now, so i think that the " few bucks on a tire " thing sounds mighty weak
So, you've installed an Avon in March, got 5,000 miles out of it, and then mounted a CT and already put 10,000 miles on it??? That's 15,000 miles in 8 months, dude. If this is true, you're in the top 2% of all riders. 70% of them would need 3 years to log 15,000 miles on their bike, not 8 months.
So, keep in mind that you're not representative of the average rider and what makes sense for you economically speaking doesn't make any sense for most of them.
Oh and please tell me what car tire gives you 60K to 80K miles cause I've been driving for almost 40 years and I've yet to find one that lasts 40K.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Dang French, you're good at math man! I do recall when dawg put the tire on a while back, over there in the land of eternal sunshine.
I don't think the DS is for everybody and definitely not for the new, (or elderly) timid riders who won't push the thing enough to adjust it and get used to it. That reminds me of grannies in caddies who use two parking spots but wanted one.
Okay, that was a harsh metaphor, but you get the idea. I find most Darksiders on the DS forums to be VERY polite and easygoing folk amongst their 'own kind' - but some may be a bit defensive or offensive when amongst uneducated naysayers.

So let me just say it this way: we have found an excellent tool in the back of the toolbox that grandpa used to use with some success, went out and bought the modern version of it (much tougher and improved) and found it to be even better than the tool everyone else was told to use. Others MAY want to use it too, or not. Whatever.

I took my tool to the mountains and tested it extensively, often to it's limits with the bike overloaded according to GVWR, whilst hitting the twisties in N. Georgia to the boards. I always take corners pretty deep just because that's how I roll, 2up or not. So, while Dawg may or may not be exaggerating a bit, THIS is 7k on the Vredestein, taken this morning.

Recall that with my style of riding, the Pirelli Night Dragon I had on there was exactly half shot at 3k.
So, yes, mileage IS one of the factors we ride them for.

Last edited by Quadancer; 11-19-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Crusher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey crusher, when you put a new set of tires on that shiny vette, do you buy the ones that are gonna be shot in the next 9000 mi ?
I used MC tires. On the Vette I only get about 3500 miles out of them.....lol.

I have no problem with a CT on an MC. When I need a new tire for the SG I may give it a shot...... I do have anti lock brakes but I don't think that should matter..

Last edited by Crusher; 11-19-2010 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today