Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
I think you may have reached a new level of ****. Allow me to restate. Some of them put 200K miles with a car tire on the rear of their bike.
Big deal. Are you trying to show they didn't die? Or have lots of riding time? I would think after 30 some pages that wouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Originally Posted by PFWiz
If you meant they got 90,000 miles on a car who cares? what does that have to do with the price of rice in China?

Maybe because I have never heard of anyone going more than about 40K on one tire darkside. But if think going 5X that amount is normal...

Tell us where we can buy a motorcycle tire warrantied for 90,000 miles.

Do you have a PHD in Authority? Are you an editor for Motor Week?

Unless you write for the big biker magazines why does that matter?

You got me on this one. I originally just assumed you were not intelligent..
Um, it's a car tire, that has everything to do with it.
I never implied I thought it was normal, why did you think so?
The discussion is a CT and a CT mileage warranty
I know cars and bikes, quite well. And my level of research and exposure is probably far beyond yours.

Originally Posted by PFWiz
He thinks you are saying someone got 200,000 miles on a single car tire on the back of a bike....
His mind is not agile enough to understand that you are talking about this riders aggregate dark side experience....
Somebody's mind isn't agile. I don't have that problem.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:23 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Aw sheet doods, it was perfectly obvious that the comment was about aggregated mileage; not the mileage on one tire alone. Get real.
What we are not seeing empirically here is anything, anywhere, anytime, about Darkside FAILURES.
Show me your links; I'm already on all DS forums I'm aware of, and from thousands of posts, I have yet to determine why the untested, unschooled, can continue to blast us as Hell-Bent Masochists, bent on self-termination.
WHY, don't you just try to keep up with us? I likes me a good race between cruisers, and I danged sure ain't scared of mixing it up. ESPECIALLY in the twisties, where the DS ROCKS!
You noobs know NOTHING! There; I said it.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:27 AM
jrplane
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wonder why the disbelievers keep peaching? If you don't like it, Don't do it!! Its that easy.
You don't have to spew "its wrong , it won't work, you will die"

Find another topic to beat into the ground.

DS'ing for 22,000 miles on an eglide and will ever go back!

Old 01-17-2014, 06:45 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Personally, I've NEVER seen any tire make the mileage they claim it should, even taking very good care, taking wide corners, avoiding braking, hypermiling for fuel mileage; not even close.
PF- you may not believe this, but look at the reviews on the MotorcycleSuperstore site on it. I am running my second Shinko 777, an $80.00 tire. They stick like GLUE, a great compliment to the CT in back; many cruisers running them. My first one only went 8K, but it was a front tire. I'm rockin' a rear this time to see if it goes farther.
Because of the way we ride, the center was fine; it's the sides that wore out on me. Here it is after I took it off:
QD,
Are you doing anything crazy with your front? Like running it backwards? I read that some folks do that. It does not make any sense to me, but I figured I would ask...

Old 01-17-2014, 09:28 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

No, just my lean angles are like a 2010 Sporty and I'm on my 6th set of head bolts welded under the floorboards for sliders. The tire was a front facing front. The one on there now is a rear, facing front.

Of all the double darksider posts, no one ever had any problems running the rears up there facing either way, and Metzler even removed their website comment about them having to face forward.
Fuzzy memory, but I think it's some Avon MT's that are directional?

I'm hoping to get at least 10k from the rear up there, but at only 7mm tread depth of very sticky rubber, I'm not banking on it. Who cares? $80 and acts / looks like a race tire. I thank all the cruiser riders who gave the reviews on it - best tire I've ever run.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Fuzzy memory, but I think it's some Avon MT's that are directional?
Many brands of MT and CT are directional, it is common-place. We have seven vehicles and they all have directional tyres.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Many brands of MT and CT are directional, it is common-place. We have seven vehicles and they all have directional tyres.
Now why would the fact that a tire is designed to be mounted in a particular direction possibly affect a Dark Sider's decision on how he was going to mount it on his bike?

P.S. note the . ie met as a JK, funny, lighthearted jab. Don't go getting your DS panties in a bunch.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:40 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ready for Daytona, bike is running great, and just installed my 3rd CT on this bike. I have 52,000 miles on it and got 30,000 from last tire. A Handcock 205-55-16 and now have a Yokohoma 195-60-16. The Handcock had chevron pattern treat,(great in the rain by the way) but notices it would wonder a bit at 75 or 80 mph. The Yokohoma is straight treat non directional.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:21 AM
pioter666
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi i have 2011 wide glide got 7k miles on it and 2nd rear tire is almost done. Maybe 500-1000 left on it. I use dunlops. There is anyone here who use ct on his dyna. I want ot put something different, because i cant afford new tire every month, and is not even summer yet. I bought bike on december and put 6k on it so far. I hope that 2nd set will be better but still really low millage. Tire brand new on a side bold in a middle. New tire 180 + installation and balance another 100. is 280$ every 4k miles.
That why i decide to move to car tire.
Orginal dunlop 180/60 r17 i want to put 205/55 r17, thinking about pirreli cinterato p7 run flat. Any one try that. Any brand what you can recomend?
Any place in Vegas nv area where i can find someone who will install it ?

Old 03-11-2014, 02:22 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,450 Likes on 2,040 Posts

I have not been able to find a 17" tire in the proper size. Are you sure Pirelli makes one?

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today