Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 07:12 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,665 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
I don't understand what you mean by the statement the bead doesn't match up.

The sae specs for automotive tire beads, rim and tire, are different from the sae specs for motorcycle tire beads. Simply put, a car tire doesn't seat it's bead correctly onto a motorcycle rim.

This does not mean failure must result. I have not actually heard of it happening. Just that the two pieces do not actually fit together correctly.

I'm not certain this drawing is in fact correct with regards to the sae specs, but it does look about correct.

Again, do not misunderstand me. I am not anti- car tire for motorcycles. Just pointing out that while the beads seem to work just fine, the interface is not "correct".

Old 01-13-2014, 08:28 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
The sae specs for automotive tire beads, rim and tire, are different from the sae specs for motorcycle tire beads. Simply put, a car tire doesn't seat it's bead correctly onto a motorcycle rim.

This does not mean failure must result. I have not actually heard of it happening. Just that the two pieces do not actually fit together correctly.

I'm not certain this drawing is in fact correct with regards to the sae specs, but it does look about correct.

Again, do not misunderstand me. I am not anti- car tire for motorcycles. Just pointing out that while the beads seem to work just fine, the interface is not "correct".
Thank you, that was what I was referring to in my comments about bead mis-match.

I read the same article somewhere recently but couldn't find it in my browser history.

Last edited by offthewall; 01-14-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:52 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Good posts!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:08 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by PFWiz
I don't understand what you mean by the statement the bead doesn't match up. My car tire (General G-Max) installed smoothly with no issues or problems. The bead lined up just fine. It has held so far for about 4000 miles of worry free riding at speeds of up to 105 (just for tire testing purposes!) I have never, never read a thread or seen a news article about a car tire coming off of a motorcycle rim. Period, end of sentence. If you have, please provide a link. I am always interested in learning new things. The countersteer is no big deal, after a few hundred miles riding with a CT becomes second nature. Next where did you read that CT climbs up on the sidewall during a turn? It doesn't, simple as that. There are several videos out there showing large bikes with CTs doing twisties at speed and they never climb onto the sidewalls. Here are a couple of the videos... Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WELyf7ydXdQ Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZKhoFbL7Fo Any other questions?

Perhaps I misspoke on my terminology. Your videos demonstrate exactly what I was talking about. In a lean, the car tire rotates on the outside edge of the tread and is no longer flat as it is when going straight. It is riding on the outside edge of the tread, in a manner that it would never do if mounted in a car.

In your own videos, the contact patch of the CT is 1/3 to 1/2 in a turn compared to going straight. A MT has the same contact patch at any lean angle because it is curved rather than flat.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:09 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Originally Posted by offthewall

In your own videos, the contact patch of the CT is 1/3 to 1/2 in a turn compared to going straight. A MT has the same contact patch at any lean angle because it is curved rather than flat.
Your correct, a CT AND MC tire have the same contact in a curve. But the CT has 2-3 times as much contact in the straights. Therefore better traction and braking.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:33 AM
Recycled
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question that comes to mind...what is to prevent some enterprising individual from designing and marketing motorcycle wheels with bead seats made specifically for car tire applications? Seems like there is an opportunity here, unless there is some DOT regulation or other red tape, liability issues, etc. preventing such an endeavour. Wonder if it has been done. Theres enough CNC machinery and talent out there to get this done. Group buy? Heck, I'd get in on that!
Excuse me if this has been discussed, but I seldom frequent this thread as it seems like too many pages of dead horse beating. But I do like the prospect of getting better traction, better stopping power and more mileage out of our touring bike rear tires. Money saved could pay for a new wheel soon enough.

Edit: Really just thinking out loud here. I've thought of this as well as a few other design changes, such as an interchangable cushdrive pulley to easily change final drives, as well as an adjustable length swingarm to add to the versatility and ease of belt usage. I'm always thinking these bikes can be improved on, quite easily.

Last edited by Recycled; 01-14-2014 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Final thought
Old 01-14-2014, 05:29 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper

Wow, real live data, thoughtfully presented. That is the first time I have ever seen such a thing. My hat is off to you.

That said, as you said it does not mean the CT will fail and no one has ever heard of it happening so I will continue to enjoy the benefits of the darkside.

Once again, very good post.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Foxtrapper, many thanks for the diagram. Pushing forward the boundaries of understanding!

Old 01-14-2014, 07:08 AM
mgibson61611
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rider Magazine did a story on this topic a few months back... Google: "Tales From the Dark Side: Putting Car Tires on Motorcycles"

Seems well thought out

Old 01-14-2014, 08:50 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by perki48
Your correct, a CT AND MC tire have the same contact in a curve. But the CT has 2-3 times as much contact in the straights. Therefore better traction and braking.
But that seems backwards to me. I believe that is one of the design tenants of a rounded MT, so that the contact patch remains relatively the same at any lean angle. If anything, I would think that you would want MORE traction in a curve not suddenly less. Seems you'd have to keep very mindful that this awesome traction you have going straight is going to be much less in the curve.

Isn't this a bit disconcerting, especially in the wet?

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today