Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:45 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
The visual method unfortunately doesn't reflect available adhesion.
It doesn't HAVE to. It was merely a starting point to fine tuning the tire; something we always recommend.
A CT that is overinflated or underflated (on a car rim) looks virtually the same, but the working contact patch is compromised either way. Same when leaned over on a motorcycle rim, the entire contact patch MAY not be the working part.
And how is that so? You are saying the patch is unimportant?
Obviously CTs work to a point, and I would like to try it once, and see instrumented data.
Yes, the point of thousands and thousands of Darksiders with virtually NO incident reports at all, over MILLIONS of miles. Which part of "success" do you not understand?

It is truly disingenuous to claim an MT is slippery when sportbike lean angles and corresponding cornering speeds are WAY beyond a CT equipped bike (15-23 degrees greater) PLUS the additional speed gained by the riding position off the seat in the turn. Do that on a CT and the crash is guaranteed. CTs work, but only to a certain "degree".
MT's work only to a certain degree, compared to racing MT's. Don't ignore that my bike is raised, forks revalved, engine cammed, and a host of other mods, making it definitely a performance cruiser. My pard and I often pass even crotch rockets (if they're just small, in no riding mode, or unskilled), and we often surprise those we keep up with. If the CT was gonna be a problem, it should have shown 3 tires ago.
My load handling capacity on the CT is 1650 lbs. What's yours? When I go riding (DD), the LAST thing I'm worried about is the CT; it is the one constant I can depend on.
Funny that you guaranteed a crash, yet my front tires always have ZERO chicken strips, as do many others.
Perhaps I'm dead and this is just a dream my corpse is having.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
MT's work only to a certain degree, compared to racing MT's. Don't ignore that my bike is raised, forks revalved, engine cammed, and a host of other mods, making it definitely a performance cruiser. My pard and I often pass even crotch rockets (if they're just small, in no riding mode, or unskilled), and we often surprise those we keep up with. If the CT was gonna be a problem, it should have shown 3 tires ago.
My load handling capacity on the CT is 1650 lbs. What's yours? When I go riding (DD), the LAST thing I'm worried about is the CT; it is the one constant I can depend on.
Funny that you guaranteed a crash, yet my front tires always have ZERO chicken strips, as do many others.
Perhaps I'm dead and this is just a dream my corpse is having.
No doubt its quick, and the lean angle is everything in the turns, especially with your longer wheelbase vs. sportbikes. I would imagine you still scrape parts?

Good question on load capacity. Your load capacity is NOT 1650lbs when mounted on a motorcycle rim. Actually, that would be a great test as well!

Regarding a guaranteed crash, no one has tested extreme lean angles of a CT that we know of? But in addition to the sportbikes in the hills near you and me, thousands are doing track days on any given day on tracks across the nation with MTs at angles a CT could not accommodate.

Good discussion with you, as always.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:12 PM
soniccbr
Tourer
Veteran: Navy
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Stupid argument is stupid.

What happens with a sportbike on a race track with race tires has ZERO relevence with what happens on a touring bike on the interstate.
A race tire life (or even a dual compound street tire for a track day) is measured in a handfull of laps, not multiple thousands of miles.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Exactly. And no one anywhere in the Darkside forums seems to be suggesting the CT's on a sportbike. I just mentioned the Trumpets because they HAVE tested the tires further than we on cruisers or sport touring bikes are capable of.
That said, my new modified angles are very close to a 2010 Sporty.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:23 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Originally Posted by soniccbr

What happens with a sportbike on a race track with race tires has ZERO relevence with what happens on a touring bike on the interstate.
A race tire life (or even a dual compound street tire for a track day) is measured in a handfull of laps, not multiple thousands of miles.
Agreed, but some don't understand that.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

As a sportbike owner, you should know a couple things before throwing out "stupid".

First, daily ridden sportbikes lean angles exceed touring bikes everyday on the street. Second they are ridden that way with tires that last thousands of miles from the showroom floor, aftermarket, etc.

I'll see if I can make it easy for you to understand: Discounting MTs on a touring bike with touring bike lean angles/speeds is ridiculous when sportbikes with MTs (again, on the street, DOT tires, not track tires), far exceed such lean angles and speeds with no issues whatsoever. Plus we all know Big Brother would protect us all from those slippery, light-load MTs if they were subpar.

EDIT: With the shorter wheelbase of a sportbike, is it traveling at a higher speed through a turn at the same lean angle as a longer-wheelbase touring bike?

Last edited by Deuuuce; 01-08-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:39 PM
soniccbr
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

EDIT: With the shorter wheelbase of a sportbike, is it traveling at a higher speed through a turn at the same lean angle as a longer-wheelbase touring bike?

Allow me to reiterate my statement.
You can argue all year long about the perceived reasons to/not to run a car tire on a 1600 lb Harley two-up with 3 weeks of the ol ladies toiletries rolling down the super slab at a traffic impeding 60mph and it means nothing to me. It's my understanding that the reason riders of all make of cruiser/tourer motorcycle use the CT is tire wear with the stated side effect of better traction and braking. Cool.
However, it is my position as a long time sportbike owner that has run track days and a few WERA races that comparing a sportbike tire in any way shape or form into this argument is completely irrelevant as a sportbike on the street or track are in no way comparable to a Harley Electra glide with a Auston taxi tire or an OE Dunlop on the back.

The tire size, load rating, speed rating, compound, wear rating, profile and pressure ratings are not even close to the same. If the two types of bikes used the same tire then you could perhaps add that into the argument, but they don't.

BTW, if I got 4000 miles out of a set tires on my CBR, I was happy. If I get 10K out of my Metzlers on my EG I'm ok with that.
A sport bike will go around the same turn faster than a touring bike for more reasons than just wheel base. And the same bike can be ridden through the same turn at different speeds buy just varying your body position.
And Big Brother did nothing to keep me off of a very shitty set of OE Battleaxes back in the day...

Cliffs notes: leave the sportbike comparison out of the CT/MT on a Touring bike argument. Use a CT or don't use a CT its your choice, I have no skin in that game.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Allow me to reiterate my statement.
You can argue all year long about the perceived reasons to/not to run a car tire on a 1600 lb Harley two-up with 3 weeks of the ol ladies toiletries rolling down the super slab at a traffic impeding 60mph and it means nothing to me. It's my understanding that the reason riders of all make of cruiser/tourer motorcycle use the CT is tire wear with the stated side effect of better traction and braking. Cool.
However, it is my position as a long time sportbike owner that has run track days and a few WERA races that comparing a sportbike tire in any way shape or form into this argument is completely irrelevant as a sportbike on the street or track are in no way comparable to a Harley Electra glide with a Auston taxi tire or an OE Dunlop on the back.

The tire size, load rating, speed rating, compound, wear rating, profile and pressure ratings are not even close to the same. If the two types of bikes used the same tire then you could perhaps add that into the argument, but they don't.

BTW, if I got 4000 miles out of a set tires on my CBR, I was happy. If I get 10K out of my Metzlers on my EG I'm ok with that.
A sport bike will go around the same turn faster than a touring bike for more reasons than just wheel base. And the same bike can be ridden through the same turn at different speeds buy just varying your body position.
And Big Brother did nothing to keep me off of a very shitty set of OE Battleaxes back in the day...

Cliffs notes: leave the sportbike comparison out of the CT/MT on a Touring bike argument. Use a CT or don't use a CT its your choice, I have no skin in that game.
You glossed over some points but the comparison is valid because the design and use is the same. Claiming a MT is inferior (except for braking and wear) without actual test or instrumented data isn't valid. A car tire can fail just as a motorcycle tire can fail.

And if your gvw is 1600lbs I suggest life saving diets....

Old 01-10-2014, 07:56 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

You glossed over some points but the comparison is valid because the design and use is the same. Claiming a MT is inferior (except for braking and wear) without actual test or instrumented data isn't valid. A car tire can fail just as a motorcycle tire can fail.

And if your gvw is 1600lbs I suggest life saving diets....
As you were told before, if there WERE some CT failures, the Darkside forums would be buzzing like mad over it. To date, I've only seen two - both Khumos run down to the cords, one was flat. So empirically, it's back to the millions of miles run, with amazing success; and you still don't see this?
I like the high load rating not because I need it; because it's a tougher tire to hurt. Also, we DID test CT's vs MT's, both for panic stops and hittin the twisties many times over. My partner has had his Avons slip many times where I didn't feel a thing - others have the same story.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:52 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by lvhdude
It's probably a silly question, but, if a CT was truly better/stickier/safer than a MT, why wouldn't the bike manufacturers recomend them? And why would there be CTs and MTs? Why not just "tires"? I rode a Boss Hoss with both types of tires on it, and I thought the MT was much more balanced, especially on an off camber stop, like some freeway offramps. Kinda had to balance the bike on the uphill corner of the CT, where the MT's curve was much a more natural feel. I get the longer wear, but I have to wonder just what is it that makes that tire last so much longer? Hmmm, harder compound? I have no problem dragging parts on both side of my SG with the old stock Dunlops.
I've been reading this thread for a couple of days now and thinking the same thing. Why wouldn't the MoCo put CT's on if they were better and cheaper?

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today