Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
You come across like a real tool. I simply relayed what a tire expert verbally stated. I asked for more information but quite frankly, its not worth his time and I don't blame him.

Also if you could comprehend what I've written in the past, I have my doubts and ask intelligent questions. Why don't you attack the Dunlop website since it "says" not to do it either and can cause harm. It is in writing after all.
Sorry, low tolerance for idiots on here saying they "know it won't work" becauce they "heard from someone" that it wont. NOW you won't even contact him, so apparently you don't beleive in your point strongly enough that it is a bad idea.
I am not going to follow Dunlops "FAQ" section, sorry. That might be your reading level, but not quite solid proof.

Yes, my 6 years in accident investigation, with the link to a investigator who holds a Dr title is "make believe". Call me a tool, but better than being an idiot that has yet to back up one thing he has stated.
Can you figure out drag factors? know how to measure yaw to figure out speed? Figure out the average crush factor of V1 in a crash? No? Go back to changing tires Corky. When you wanna see real life, you're welcome to come out on a ride-along

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Not only is that a ridiculous post, your make believe accident would need to be caused by a CT or a CT deficiency would have to be suspected for his analysis to count. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
You've never sat in on a civil case. Then again, I'm not surprised

Still waiting on your sources, but aint holding my breath

Last edited by Thor; 01-06-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:51 PM
scglide
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Retrop
Every time I see this old post come around again, I think the same thing: Gee, I hope that guy has plenty of really good medical insurance.
There are more than a few reasons as to why putting a car tire on a two wheeled vehicle is not a good idea. Most of them have already been cited, so there is no point in covering that again.
Why is it your worried about my medical insurance, coming from a guy that rides a motorcycle, if your worried about being safe climb back in you cage and don't worry about me, I got hit on the freeway last week luckily I didn't go down and I had motorcycle tires on my bike, you should worry about yourself and not what kind of tires I have on my bike.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
Its back to the same old thing, people who have NEVER tried it coming up with reasons not to try it.
Gee, I don't know if I would agree with that statement.
I have never been hit in the nuts with a baseball bat either, still I don't think I would like to try it. I call it common sense and learned behavior.
To each his own, I guess.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Gee, I don't know if I would agree with that statement.
I have never been hit in the nuts with a baseball bat either, still I don't think I would like to try it. I call it common sense and learned behavior.
To each his own, I guess.
:i con_angel::ico n_angel::icon_ angel::icon_an gel::icon_ange l:
I wonder if there were people like this back in 58 claiming that springing a bike would be unsafe because "the factory makes it rigid for a reason"

Old 01-06-2014, 08:46 PM
bullette
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good reasons not to run the Kumho and hence why I am running the Yokohama run flat, much stiffer sidewalls. Even the Gold Wing riders aren't running Kumhos anymore.

One of of HOG officers noticed my CT on my Road Glide this weekend, just happened to be behind me as a Road Captain as we rode about the Texas back roads this past weekend. I never mentioned the tire to him, as telling fellow Hog members that I am a Dark Sider generally goes over as well as telling them I prefer Gold Wings (lol, I don't). After about 50 miles of serious inspection, he told me how impressed he was with the tire, the tires contact and how wrong he had been about misconceptions; espoused as "common knowledge" on this very site by folks who have never even ridden a bike with a car tire.

My offer still stands, if you live near Houston, I'll let you ride my bike and see for yourself.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:52 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Every time I see this old post come around again, I think the same thing: Gee, I hope that guy has plenty of really good medical insurance.
There are more than a few reasons as to why putting a car tire on a two wheeled vehicle is not a good idea. Most of them have already been cited, so there is no point in covering that again.
I am just curious as to why someone who dislikes a subject as much as you do even clicks on the thread?

As far as medical insurance goes I think the law now requires that doesn't it. Some are calling it Obamacare.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

One odd method we had used to initially set up for the sweet spot pressure on the tires was to have a buddy ride behind you and watch the tire. We bled air off until the tire noticably flexed enough to put half the tread down. This wasn't as good as finding the wallowing pressure and tracking pressure and setting it in between the two, but it gave us an idea of where that tire would be working on that particular bike with that rider.
Now we have the database with folks putting in what worked, so it's even easier to dial it in. I'm happily one who discovered after 34 years riding, the Darkside, a couple years back. No way am I going back to slippery MT's; I just ride way too hard and fast to risk it.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Car tire on a motorcycle. Brillliant!

Old 01-07-2014, 01:17 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Thor
Sorry, low tolerance for idiots on here saying they "know it won't work" becauce they "heard from someone" that it wont. NOW you won't even contact him, so apparently you don't beleive in your point strongly enough that it is a bad idea.
I am not going to follow Dunlops "FAQ" section, sorry. That might be your reading level, but not quite solid proof.

Yes, my 6 years in accident investigation, with the link to a investigator who holds a Dr title is "make believe". Call me a tool, but better than being an idiot that has yet to back up one thing he has stated.
Can you figure out drag factors? know how to measure yaw to figure out speed? Figure out the average crush factor of V1 in a crash? No? Go back to changing tires Corky. When you wanna see real life, you're welcome to come out on a ride-along

You've never sat in on a civil case. Then again, I'm not surprised

Still waiting on your sources, but aint holding my breath
Wow, do you have some personal issues going on in your life? Your such an impressive keyboard warrior! And reading comprehension is a bit off too.

Yes, I did contact him after the seminar, and the answer was basically the same. My statement was agreeing with the situation, not worth his time. MT tire sales are extremely low volume vs. CTs and CTs on bikes is even lower, he's got bigger fish to fry.

You posted a resume, wow, you can copy & paste. Again, did he actually investigate an accident that WAS caused by a CT OR contributed to it? NO? Then you have NO point. Or is he stating that CTs are safe for bikes, period?

I'm an automotive authority and author, I know enough about crash dynamics to have an intelligent conversation with someone who understands what I write.

Originally Posted by Quadancer
One odd method we had used to initially set up for the sweet spot pressure on the tires was to have a buddy ride behind you and watch the tire. We bled air off until the tire noticably flexed enough to put half the tread down. This wasn't as good as finding the wallowing pressure and tracking pressure and setting it in between the two, but it gave us an idea of where that tire would be working on that particular bike with that rider.
Now we have the database with folks putting in what worked, so it's even easier to dial it in. I'm happily one who discovered after 34 years riding, the Darkside, a couple years back. No way am I going back to slippery MT's; I just ride way too hard and fast to risk it.
The visual method unfortunately doesn't reflect available adhesion. A CT that is overinflated or underflated (on a car rim) looks virtually the same, but the working contact patch is compromised either way. Same when leaned over on a motorcycle rim, the entire contact patch MAY not be the working part.

Obviously CTs work to a point, and I would like to try it once, and see instrumented data.

It is truly disingenuous to claim an MT is slippery when sportbike lean angles and corresponding cornering speeds are WAY beyond a CT equipped bike (15-23 degrees greater) PLUS the additional speed gained by the riding position off the seat in the turn. Do that on a CT and the crash is guaranteed. CTs work, but only to a certain "degree".

Last edited by Deuuuce; 01-07-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:45 AM
lvhdude
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's probably a silly question, but, if a CT was truly better/stickier/safer than a MT, why wouldn't the bike manufacturers recomend them? And why would there be CTs and MTs? Why not just "tires"? I rode a Boss Hoss with both types of tires on it, and I thought the MT was much more balanced, especially on an off camber stop, like some freeway offramps. Kinda had to balance the bike on the uphill corner of the CT, where the MT's curve was much a more natural feel. I get the longer wear, but I have to wonder just what is it that makes that tire last so much longer? Hmmm, harder compound? I have no problem dragging parts on both side of my SG with the old stock Dunlops.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today