Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:08 AM
scglide
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I will be mounting next week, it has to be better than the elite i am running now.
Steve

Old 01-05-2014, 11:59 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
I was thinking the same thought.

I wonder if anyone has ever asked their insurance company if they would be covered for using a tire that was not designed for the vigors of motorcycle use? Sure, folks can run what they want and as long as everything is ok, it's all smiles. But when the crash occurs and especially when others are involved, whether or not it's proven to be the fault of the car tire in the rear, you can rest assured that the car tire will be brought front and center as a possible contributor to the incident.

IF they are so great, why don't you use them on the front??

Its amazing how the relatively low cost of a rear tire changes normal behavior.

I hope no one gets hurt using these things.
Its very obvious you have not read the thread as ALL of your concerns have already been answered.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:00 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
Why would you ever pump the front brake on a motorcycle. No wonder you couldn't stop very fast.
What exactly would you suggest he does when he locks up the front wheel? Just curious.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:39 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by perki48
Its very obvious you have not read the thread as ALL of your concerns have already been answered.
Over 1,400 posts?! Perhaps we need an executive summary!

Old 01-05-2014, 12:44 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
Over 1,400 posts?! Perhaps we need an executive summary!
Its back to the same old thing, people who have NEVER tried it coming up with reasons not to try it.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was thinking the same thought.

I wonder if anyone has ever asked their insurance company if they would be covered for using a tire that was not designed for the vigors of motorcycle use? Sure, folks can run what they want and as long as everything is ok, it's all smiles. But when the crash occurs and especially when others are involved, whether or not it's proven to be the fault of the car tire in the rear, you can rest assured that the car tire will be brought front and center as a possible contributor to the incident.

IF they are so great, why don't you use them on the front??

Its amazing how the relatively low cost of a rear tire changes normal behavior.

I hope no one gets hurt using these things.
Wow...you got them. in 1400 posts, NO ONE thought to ask that

I think you know what I mean. But if you must be so defensive about your use of your non-approved equipment, then you must have some guilt associated with it's use. Typical.
And that wasn't him being defensive, it was him getting tired of repeating the same stuff that's beenn discussed ad nauseam. If you had read through the thread you would've known that. Typical.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
HaHaaaa...enjoy your rear end slideouts the next fool pulls out in front of you. And the protection of your nylon cords over our steel belts. The harder, smaller contact patch in the sweepers. Go ahead; the Darkside isn't for everybody, I do admit.
I'm intrigued at the reduced braking distance but has anyone compared at emergency braking? Or with ABS?

All MTs have nylon cords? This is inferior why? On 200hp sportbikes with 45+ degree lean angles? Or DOT approved tires on 800lb touring bikes?

Not all CTs are softer than MTs, and has anyone measured hardness of a warmed up tire vs. ambient temp?

Again, usable contact patch vs. actual contact can be different. Seems that CTs actually shift in shape if there is slippage. Yet sportbikes lean far more and go much faster in sweepers without problems.

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
Why would you ever pump the front brake on a motorcycle. No wonder you couldn't stop very fast.
Perfect argument for ABS and properly applying the brakes without.

Originally Posted by tattoowho
I got 30,000 miles out of mine. It was on a VTX 1300. It was a Douglas Xtrac from Walmart that I bought because I was short on cash and had to have a tire because the only transportation I had was my bike.
Is that some sort of a quality tire?

Old 01-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Every time I see this old post come around again, I think the same thing: Gee, I hope that guy has plenty of really good medical insurance.
There are more than a few reasons as to why putting a car tire on a two wheeled vehicle is not a good idea. Most of them have already been cited, so there is no point in covering that again.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:32 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
Every time I see this old post come around again, I think the same thing: Gee, I hope that guy has plenty of really good medical insurance.
There are more than a few reasons as to why putting a car tire on a two wheeled vehicle is not a good idea. Most of them have already been cited, so there is no point in covering that again.
Yes it seems that it is not a good idea, but from the testimonies of those that have tried it, it seems that it works very well in practice. I have read probably a couple hundred of these and have seen maybe two that said they had problems and wouldn't do it again. The other 99% said that it improved handling, braking, cornering, and they seem to last longer than motorcycle tires. I haven't tried it, but I am sure that I will soon. And yes, I have very good health insurance, disability insurance, and life insurance, but not because I ride a motorcycle; I work in the construction industry, very dangerous.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:42 AM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop

Actually, have yet to see anything cited, other than "that'll never work, I know a guy who said his friend wrecked". Closest was Deuce, but when asked for the links of the "proof" he had, he responded "you find it". But feel free to find a few

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today