Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:16 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

I was one of those people foolish enough to believe all this hokum about how good using a car tire on a motorcycle is. I also believed them when they said nothing bad would happen.

Well I am here to tell you they lie!

My bike spontaneously burst into flames, my son became gay, My boss found out about the car tire and fired me causing my wife to leave me and I have contracted a horribly embarrassing social disease all from putting a car tire on my bike.

Oh wait, none of those things happened. Actually the only major difference is that my bike stops faster and handles better than I could have imagined. It also ignores tar strips and eats rain slick roads for lunch.

Damn, and I was so looking forward to the spontaneous combustion part, I even got marsh mellows....

Old 10-03-2013, 10:58 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Would I have any problems running a C/T on a tubeless laced wheel? If so I still have the stock limited rear wheel.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:36 PM
bullette
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Darkside...

Ditto, ditto, ditto. I went to the Darkside (yesterday). Yokohama Avid Envigor SPX run flat on my 2012 FLTRU. Owning a Road Glide and going Darkside means I have gone the minority route twice but I hate going with the crowd. Nothing but good things to say about the tire. Fast or slow, it's all good.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:15 PM
jrat69
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What size Yokoama did you go with? Did you mount it yourself or have it mounted? I know run flats or car wheels are a pain to mount, the sidewalls are stiffer. Did you have it balanced, or using dynabeads or what?

Originally Posted by bullette
Ditto, ditto, ditto. I went to the Darkside (yesterday). Yokohama Avid Envigor SPX run flat on my 2012 FLTRU. Owning a Road Glide and going Darkside means I have gone the minority route twice but I hate going with the crowd. Nothing but good things to say about the tire. Fast or slow, it's all good.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:58 PM
bullette
Stage III
Default Rear tire size

I installed a Yokohama Avid Envigor 195/55R16 SPX (run flat). Bought from Discount tire, but didn't ask for them to install it as my neighbor owns a tire machine. Hoping for at least 25K. I have been using Centramatics, front and rear (not dynabeads or weights). I'm will install a Battlax on the front once the stock Dunlop wears out.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Odinn
Stage I
Default Can't wait to go DS

After 170,000 miles and over 20 rear tires in the last 10 years on my 03 EG Standard, I purchased a new 2013 Ultra Limited the end of July and can't wait to go DS. I'm waiting for this stock dunny to wear out. Already have 9,000 miles on it, so it won't be long. I've been looking at the Hankook H426 but am also interested in the Yokohama AVID Ascend. Maybe I'll try the Yokohama first. I figure if I don't like it, I could still switch to the Hankook, and still have spent less than a new dunny replacement.

I really wished there was an option for the 03, but I am looking at a kit that will allow me to go to a 180/200 rear tire for it. I'll definitely DS it as well if I go that route.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:28 AM
latnyte
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have the hd smooth spoke rims on my 09 flhx , does that mean i need to get a different rim to do this ? is there a way to do it with these rims ?

Old 01-01-2014, 01:15 PM
DD Dont
Cruiser

This is the first time I've ever heard of this. Sounds intriguing. Lets see how long the stocker lasts on my bike and I may just consider this.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Study on the Darkside forums and get a feel for what it's about. Longevity isn't even as important as the grip they have, and cornering ability. You'll need to learn how to find your sweet spot pressure; pm me if you have questions.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:16 PM
collin
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish I could put one on my 04 RK, I have one on my GL1800 and it's great.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today