Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:49 AM
yorgo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darksider for 4 years now. Latest tire Hankook H426 optimo on my 2010 Ultra. CONS? none.
Front tire ME880, Rear will never use an MC tire again.

stats:
overall miles riding motorcycles = 192,000
with strictly MC tires F/R = 152,000
with MC front / CT rear = 40,000
Flat tires on rear using MC tires = 12 (1 flat every 12,666 miles)
Flat tires on rear using CT tires = 0 (NO flats in 40,000 miles)

Other facts:
better traction in rain, yes its true
Lasts twice as long as MC tire
Costs about HALF of MC tire
HWY riding is smoother
wight capacity is much higher with CT

***disclaimer - I'm not trying to convince anyone that using car tires on a motorcycle is recommended by any means. If you decide to try this you are doing it at your own risk. Motorcycles are inherently dangerous. Use the manufacturers recommended tires since there are only 2 small contact patches between you and the road that may end up killing you. That being said, you must be nuts for even riding a motorcycle and should be locked up if you do not use the recommended equipment. Safety first children

Old 06-24-2013, 11:44 AM
FLHProadkill
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cons: from what I have read these are from people who have not tried it. Cornering is touchy. This is not really a con just my first note that during a certain angle it feels loose. I understand that the tire is new as I am so I'm working through different conditions. Did a panic stop with another rider yesterday, same bike with ABS and the rear tire was smoking and screeching. At first I thought it was mine but it wasn't. I just kept putting more pressure on the rear and it kept slowing down. I stopped a good 10' before the other bike. +1 on panic stops! As I travel this week I'll make notes of the +'s and -'s I and report back. I can say right now that I like this setup.
Note: I installed this tire myself. HD and other places I checked wouldn't touch it. I'm sure there's one out there that would but I didn't find them. Homemade setup I found on You-Tube. Pretty slick. Used 14" rim, threaded rod with nuts, piece of re-bar, No-Mar bar, piece of hose, HF tire balancer and bead breaker and HF receiver vice( this allows me to attach it to the tuck receiver). I have a mig welder that I used.
Everything can be stored in a really small amount of space.
Thus is my setup. It may not be for everyone but this works for me and the bike feels great!

Old 06-24-2013, 04:50 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thor
Honestly? I have no desire to sway anyone to "go over to the darkside", But I tire of the "well, I heard this guy say xxxxx, and this guy say xxxxxx". If it provides you with enough RELIABLE info to put a CT on, so be it (It is enough for me, honestly), if it gives you enough info to research the facts yourself, that's all good too....the whole basing ones decision on hearsay (and UNTRACEABLE hearsay at that) is ridiculous. Independent thought is a good thing, and I challenge any anti-DS to post RELIABLE info (ie; a source other than Wiki, and other than "look it up yourself")....I have no problem eating crow.....I've done it enough that I'm used to the taste....I'm just tired of the Anti's trying to pass off "whisper down the lane" BS as fact.
Its just like all the liberals, they spout out all the numbers with no facts to back them up. They think if they say them enough, you will believe there BS. I have tried to find just one accident that was proven that a CT had caused it. NOT ONE WAS FOUND.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Exactly. Give me ONE bad tire that CAUSES accidents on a bike, and we will IMMEDIATELY have ENDLESS crapola over the foolishness of our totally researched pursuit. But waddaya got here? Not ONE damn thing regarding CT's and I only recently gained a crack in the tread well for 3" after EXTREME torture with trailers, my riding style (VERY Agressive) with a tire (Austone) that was one of the wobblers, and Geee, waddayknow; I have clocked 3 bike tires distance on it with the bike ALWAYS on the boards, despite a 2" over set of forks, and the 1/2" rise of the rear tire (CT) and other goodies like slugs over the extended springs, thicker oil, and rear shocks tightened up almost all the way.
BS is still BS. And tomorrow night, I install my THIRD DS tire; and absolutely REFUSE to put another MT slider on the back.
Did I make myself clear enuff? If not, make a date, and I'll SHOW a naysayer what you don't know.

Last edited by Quadancer; 06-24-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Exactly. Give me ONE bad tire that CAUSES accidents on a bike, .....
Ugh, don't get them started again...you'll give us a shitstorm of "there's all kinds of reports...I saw them myself. Link? you gotta find them yourself"

Gotta love those disappearing sources...Always there when the naysayers look, never there when we go look.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:37 PM
jrplane
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from riding the dragon and many of the other (better) roads in western NC. The dunlop SP5000 handles corner as well as any motorcycle tire I have ever run. I was able to ride faster than normal in all the corners, despite the fact that this time I was carrying an extra 200 lbs. The key is the tire pressure, at 32 lbs. the only difference I can see between MT & CT is the CT will step up on an uneven surface and the MT slides to the low side. My buddy was also riding an e-glide he was solo, the thing that caught my eye was the heat build up, the CT ran about ambient temp, and his MT was very hot, almost uncomfortable to touch. I would guess 30-40 degrees difference.

It is clearly a winner!
Jeff

Old 06-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jrplane
I just got back from riding the dragon and many of the other (better) roads in western NC. The dunlop SP5000 handles corner as well as any motorcycle tire I have ever run. I was able to ride faster than normal in all the corners, despite the fact that this time I was carrying an extra 200 lbs. The key is the tire pressure, at 32 lbs. the only difference I can see between MT & CT is the CT will step up on an uneven surface and the MT slides to the low side. My buddy was also riding an e-glide he was solo, the thing that caught my eye was the heat build up, the CT ran about ambient temp, and his MT was very hot, almost uncomfortable to touch. I would guess 30-40 degrees difference.

It is clearly a winner!
Jeff
Very interesting about the heat build-up, would have thought the flexing of the CT would create heat but the larger size and greater volume of air must offset that.

Unless your lean angle changed, you can't go faster in corners, especially with more weight. I find that statement interesting.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:41 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Just ordered a General G-Max 205-55-16 and 2 bottles of Ride On tire sealant (scratch and dent bottles!)

My work schedule sucks for the next 4 weeks so I expect to get it installed the last week of July.

I can't wait! Momma was kinda of leery about this whole Dark side thing until I showed her all the "Your Going to Die" posts from people who have never run a CT and then I told her how much life insurance I have on me.

Momma says you are all invited to the "PFWiz is Dead Party", where she tells me many people will be comforting the widow in ways I would not appreciate were I still alive....

Old 06-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Anyone running them on the older bikes like my 01 fat before the rim size and tire size was as wide as it is on the new bikes, What tire will fit?
Heck I'm game, will try anything once, well almost anything.

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 06-29-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
I can't wait! Momma was kinda of leery about this whole Dark side thing until I showed her all the "Your Going to Die" posts from people who have never run a CT and then I told her how much life insurance I have on me.

Momma says you are all invited to the "PFWiz is Dead Party", where she tells me many people will be comforting the widow in ways I would not appreciate were I still alive....
Sounds like my girl too
Hmmmm....mebbie they are related

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today