Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:00 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
You mentioned some very expensive tires and I thought that was your base.
Yes, there IS ABSOLUTELY FAR MORE TRACTION! This is undeniable to anyone running them, especially when talking about wet traction. I estimated my stopping power to be 3x better due to the fact that my Dunflop AND my Pirelli tended to slide so far and lock up so easily in a fast stop, something the DS doesn't do. Stopping distance is far shorter, of course and I'll argue this one into the ground buddy, believe me.

Truth be known, from what I see but don't see mentioned is that most guys go for the widest tire they can fit. That is all about looks, not performance. Mileage is an excuse for fat. I'm happy as a clam at 175mm.
Yes, I give you that, traction and better stopping power is probably the only real advantage but it is mainly due to the fact that you use a wider tire, not because of CT.

Mount a 175 MC tire on your bike (if it exists) and your traction and stopping power will be pretty much the same as it is now.

By the way, I'm kinda biased on this issue cause I have Brembo brakes with ABS on my bike and my stopping power is already outstanding.
I'll take ABS with a MC tire any day over no-ABS with a CT and this applies to dry and wet.
A car tire won't prevent you from locking the rear, ABS will.
Oh and a CT will not make me ride more in the rain. I hate riding in the rain and nothing will make me like it. lol

Old 11-10-2010, 10:07 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can't win. car tires on a bike is a no go becuase of the horizontaal side wall stresses. motorcycle tires on a car is a no go becuase of the vertical weights and loads.

anyone know of a good low profile tire car tire I can put on the back of my 07 ultra running on 16"s?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:12 PM
inaroush
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by desertwolf
when I'm cruising down the freeway in heavy traffic at 80+ mph, the last thing I'm thinking about is if I saved a few dollars on my tires.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:42 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I must admit that this whole concept of mounting a car tire on a bike is foreign to me... maybe I need to get out of my cave or off my bike more often...

I've read, in this thread, more than once, about how there are only one or two instances of a problem being caused by going this route. How is this data known? Is there a clearinghouse? Do folks register somewhere after installing a car tire? If I had such a setup how would anyone know (good or bad)?

Old 11-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

We merely have the DS forums to go by, but that is pretty much the hub of things, along with the databank links I've been posting. Surely there are others who don't post and very many who don't enter in the databanks. You just don't see any negativity towards them by people running them. Even the guy who blew his is getting another one, planning not to run it to bald this time.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:45 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I have watched the videos, and read the comments on the Dark Side forum, and I must say they look very impressive! I'm almost glad a car tire won't fit my old '02 Ultra, because I would be really temped to try it, for better or worse.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:54 PM
hivoltg
Tourer

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
you can't win. car tires on a bike is a no go becuase of the horizontaal side wall stresses. motorcycle tires on a car is a no go becuase of the vertical weights and loads.

anyone know of a good low profile tire car tire I can put on the back of my 07 ultra running on 16"s?
Originally Posted by will2002
I have watched the videos, and read the comments on the Dark Side forum, and I must say they look very impressive! I'm almost glad a car tire won't fit my old '02 Ultra, because I would be really temped to try it, for better or worse.

175/75-16

That's what's going on my 07 Ultra as soon as this Dunny is worn out in the spring! I had a CT on my last bike and I definitely miss the performance advantages that the CT provides over the MT

Old 11-10-2010, 02:53 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by hivoltg
175/75-16

That's what's going on my 07 Ultra as soon as this Dunny is worn out in the spring! I had a CT on my last bike and I definitely miss the performance advantages that the CT provides over the MT
You mount what you want on your bike but don't you think that a 175 tire on the 07 stock rim is risky?
The stock tire is a 140, right? That's 35mm or 25% wider and it's a significant difference.The walls are gonna be pinched in big time. I'd also make sure that there's enough clearance so that the tire doesn't rub against the fender or the belt.
The 09 and up HD touring bikes have a 5" rim and the stock tire is a 180. Guys who have gone darkside on these bikes use a 195 CT (a 205 CT doesn't fit). That's only 15mm or 8.33% wider than stock, which is much more reasonable.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Mav
Tourer

140/90/16 < 175/75-16 ?

Old 11-10-2010, 04:09 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Guys have been running them on Goldwings for ever!

The guys that do it swear by it, the guys that don't are as usual more sane.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today