Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:53 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by R Hill

I don't know about your 07 RK but I am going to try the Austone Taxi tire on my 07 Ultra Classic. If the RK has same requirement there is another tire. This HD site has a section devoted to Dark Sideing.
On the Internet there are several sites devoted to Dark Sideing. I like TerryRH found a tire made buy GoodYear. When I searched for a tire I did not find that one.

My wife's bike (with sidecar) will get a car tire if I can ride it enough to replace it. LOL
I found the tire terryrh used at Discount tire ,Goodyear Assurance 175 60 16, and am going to see if the local dealel has one to look at. Ive been to the darksiding forum here and other sites. For some reason this seems to be the most active , even the Hack forum here is mute on the subject which is where I at first expected to get the most responses as a rear CT would seem a good alternative to the MT because of wear. Oh well ill keep reading and looking.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:36 AM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Ultra
At least you got to try it.

See ya soon some where around town. I'm back on a MT but because I'm on a new 2013 Classic.
What are you doing today? I'm riding out to the racetrack. Seems to be fun stuff going on today

Old 03-09-2013, 12:24 PM
R Hill
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may try going to discount tires to look at it also.
I have been told Discount will sale you the tire will charge you for putting it on the rim but they will not put it on your rim just charge you for it.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Ape Hangers
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TooEasy
Let me talk about my problems with my car tire, after 7,000 miles:

1. Cruising two-up at 85+ MPH is absolutely stable, the winds from the 18 wheelers don't bother it like before.

2. Really good in heavy rain, water is displaced to the sides and the rear and it leaves a clean pat. You can see this if you ride with someone with a CT.

3. Comfortable ride, normally 28 PSI and 32-34 two-up, 34 when its overloaded

4. Shorter stopping distances, the back brake is now really useful.

5. It runs cooler than my front Elite 3 radial. That means that if it looses pressure from a slow leak, chances are it will not overheat and fail. The tire blowing up? are you kidding me?

6. If I ever get a flat, I'll put a plug in it and forget about it. No need to buy another one. Its overbuilt for my application.

7. Twisty roads are the best part. Awesome traction in the curves. Do a search for other threads on this. Yes, Elaine, I can still flick it from side to side just as easy.

8. Once committed to a turn, if I run into debris or something, I can run over it or change my line right in the middle of the turn, without my bike getting out of composure.

9. Rock stable. It wasn't like this even when it was new. No wobbles, no fishtailing, no sliding out from under me.

10. The more load you pile on it, the more stable it gets.

11. Not affected by gravel in a turn to the same degree that it affects MT's

12. All this and only $89.95 for my new tire. But its not about the savings. I'd be dumb if I didn't consider everything I just said and focus on savings. ITS ABOUT THE RIDE!

No hell no, I am not going back to a MC tire.

Spiker, it takes big brass ***** to make changes so drastic, and you are going to catch hell, but 10,000 miles from now, you are going to look at your tire and see no wear, and consider the ride, and you will be one happy rider. I got the same reaction when I did mine, people told me I was going to crash and burn, that it was blasphemy, be excommunicated from church, burn in hell, and here I am, enjoying the hell out of it.
Drive on.

Regards,
Roberto

Thanks TooEasy, I think that's awesome and definately has the cool factor, big time. You have me sold, this is gonna be my next back tire. I have not went through every page of this thread, but could you tell me if there are any clearance issues with a 1.375" drop in the rear that I have on my bike? I have basically the same bike as you, except 2011 flhr. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:19 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by R Hill
I may try going to discount tires to look at it also.
I have been told Discount will sale you the tire will charge you for putting it on the rim but they will not put it on your rim just charge you for it.
The Dicount Tire closest to me (Traverse City Mi.) said the tire was $138+tax . No other charges because they couldnt mount it, maybe other dealers are different I dont know.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:28 AM
bagger90
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saint666
The risk of NOT KNOWING,,Its very very funny to read all the BS people write in here,..

Mtires are made for bikes and CTires are made for CARS!,I wonder why on earth Motor Companies spent millions of dollars in research if they can just come to this forum and LEARN what they have to do...my gosh,,
Millions in research and have to change my chain drive cams to gear drive.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

He misses the point that the research was done on larger heavier vehicles with more extreme conditions than a bike could ever put on a tire. And this:

Old 04-22-2013, 10:24 AM
djbiker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bagger90
Millions in research and have to change my chain drive cams to gear drive.
Amen to that! Does anyone really think that the motorcycle tire industry is doing research to see how they can keep us from buying their products very often? I mean a pair of tires a year would be great for the industry, but sucks for us!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:48 AM
RIDERED67
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I will admit that a car tire does sound interesting...I may even try one someday for the "cool factor".

We can all plainly see the visual difference between a CT and MC tire and it doesn't take a college degree to realize that you will have less of a contact patch when cornering on a car tire. Now I can only assume that this smaller contact patch goes largely unnoticed due to the softer compound of the CT.

But when considering the pros/cons I can't stop considering this one aspect. If a car tire provides better performance than an MC tire than why wouldn't every professional super bike race team run a variation of a flat tread car tire? Sure, for straight line riding a "flat tread" tire is the obvious choice as seen in top fuel drag bikes.

I would have to think that every rider needs to make an educated decision on this topic based on your personal riding environment. Perhaps if your a flat lander in Kansas you will yield better results with a car tire.

Just my opinion based on nothing more than common sense.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:48 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RIDERED67
But when considering the pros/cons I can't stop considering this one aspect. If a car tire provides better performance than an MC tire than why wouldn't every professional super bike race team run a variation of a flat tread car tire? Sure, for straight line riding a "flat tread" tire is the obvious choice as seen in top fuel drag bikes.

Just my opinion based on nothing more than common sense.
How many times during that super bike race are those mc tires being changed? You sure you want those tires on your Harley?

I have used Bridgestone and Metzeler 18" rear tires, both which are "Z-Rated" on my Road Glide as a replacement for the OEM Dunlop. I'm getting only 4K miles on these tires. I try to push them to 6K miles while riding locally.

The OEM Dunlop lasted 11K miles and pushed it to 13K miles riding locally. I regret that my choices for a 18" rear tire is so limited. If there was a 18" car tire that would fit I'd have it mounted by now on my CVO.

As for comparing super bikes to Harley's.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today