Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 06:05 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,665 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Ultra
I saw this low speed pitching also. Just had to be careful on the dirt roads and drive ways. Not a big deal any where else though.
Interesting. Hadn't heard that before. Dirt roads and such are one of the main reasons I was looking at it myself. Many are the claims of improved traction, particularly with that taxi tire. Not once had I read about instability problems.

Wonder if some of it has to do with rim width, and how much the tire is curled.

I didn't try it myself, because I couldn't verify 100% that the tire really would fit into my 04 Road King, and it was too expensive a tire to waste money on if it didn't.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:49 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I read in one of the threads, maybe this one, about some one else that did a lot of dirt/path riding with a CT.

What I noticed was, on an uneven surface, half the tire is higher and it wants to "fall off" the edge. If that makes sense. Kind of like when they repave and one lane is higher than the other. If you change lanes, you feel it, even in a car.

It is definitely a softer, more comfortable ride. I wonder how many miles I'll get before my *** starts hurting on this new bike on an 800 mile ride.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:22 AM
HarleyGTP
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider Steve
They seem to ride fine on the hiway but that flat bottom tire ain't right when it comes to low speeds on uneven terrain. That's where it will try and throw you off the bike. I was riding down my brothers uneven driveway and right at the end I stopped to wait for a truck, goldwing went over on it's left side and dumped me and my daughter in the ditch. Roll over part of those little concrete bumps (vents) at the gas station and it will try to dump you. Everybody who has tried a CT knows this. Some are willing to put up with it while others say to hell with it and return to the tires it's suppose to have on it. I didn't even wait to wear the tire out, took it off when I got home and sold it to the next one wanting to try out a ct. I did make that person aware of that little glitch in those kind of tires. I don't know about you but when I'm riding an expensive MC like the Ultra or Goldwing last thing I want to do is put on an tire that will dump ya at low speed.
I'm genuinely surprised at how shocked some people are to read that putting a CT on a motorcycle will have undesirable effects.

That being said, as someone who was, and still is very involved in automotive racing / modifying. I can say using a cheap (yes, I have yet to see anyone on the darkside forum use a summer high performance tire) tires as motorcycle tires is a recipe for disaster.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,437 Likes on 2,039 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyGTP
I'm genuinely surprised at how shocked some people are to read that putting a CT on a motorcycle will have undesirable effects.

That being said, as someone who was, and still is very involved in automotive racing / modifying. I can say using a cheap (yes, I have yet to see anyone on the darkside forum use a summer high performance tire) tires as motorcycle tires is a recipe for disaster.
And you can say this without ever having tried it? Amazing.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by perki48
And you can say this without ever having tried it? Amazing.
A predictable response!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider Steve
They seem to ride fine on the hiway but that flat bottom tire ain't right when it comes to low speeds on uneven terrain. That's where it will try and throw you off the bike. Roll over part of those little concrete bumps (vents) at the gas station and it will try to dump you. Everybody who has tried a CT knows this.
Which is WHY all Darksiders avoid running along ridges, curbs and such. MT's also have this effect, merely to a lesser degree.
Some are willing to put up with it while others say to hell with it and return to the tires it's suppose to have on it.
Ya, about 1%.
last thing I want to do is put on an tire that will dump ya at low speed.
You should come over on one of our RideLikeAPro sessions, and watch some of our bikes in the cones. DARKSIDING.
You should participate in our panic stop exersize and try to outstop the DARKSIDERS.
You should watch me do a 17' circle on my Harley - DARKSIDING.
You should try to keep up with a Darksider in the RAIN, on curvy roads.
(accepted that the FRONT tire is the weak link)

Learn the RLAP techniques and you'll never drop that bike again, with ANY tire on the back. Many regular untrained riders find it a little unsettling at first, and notice the crossover effect on the steering, but after a hundred or so miles, muscle memory takes over and it disappears, like riding a different bike for a while; same thing.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:30 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,437 Likes on 2,039 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
A predictable response!
You bet its predictable since I have actually tried it. And I have also rode bikes with 250mm wide rear MC tires and can tell you for fact that they effect slow speed handling on uneven surfaces far more than a standard width CT does. Why are you not complaining about that?

Old 03-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Hogster 1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garcou
here we go again!

yeehaw!

Old 03-08-2013, 11:52 AM
R Hill
Tourer

I don't see myself going back to a MT. A friend at work finely went to the Dark side. I helped him pick one for his bike. The tire looks awesome on his bike. By the way he really really likes the cornering of the new tire. When it is time for a new tire I will be putting a Dark Side on this bike.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Hogster 1
Tourer

Originally Posted by flyer91
If not so serious a subject, it would be laughable that as soon as it's suggested that a person find out ..... from an authority on the subject ...... be it an ap eng, racing teams, or safety engineers (DOT) ..... you "just do it" guys go running off about it causing threads to be too long (???), after 'you' quoting and providing 'exactly' the same type of ..... "the cousin of a fellow, links to similarly unsubstantiated threads, and so freely use non-impirical (theoretical only) data to establish cause and effect (and other such 'video' nonsense) as proof that it's that it's perfectly OK.

Just provide 'only one' it's "OK to do", from a knowledgeable and 'verified' source, that posses the education, training and a career specifically involved in the subject.

Just one ..... but 'verifiable' as being an authority.
If pressed I can provide a number of sources of same "pedigree" that will say not to do it.
But you ..... "I've been doing it for that past X years" ... 'think' you know better, and try to imply, or even just outright say, "it's all a conspiracy by the tire companies of the world" (who operate in a competative marke) to make us pay more for less performance and longevity.
Your analogy is on par with I never wore a condom, and I don't have aids ..... so it's all good 'and 'the "performance" is better, it feels better, doesn't create a hazardous waste by product, so no worries ... just do it!!

Are you really this naive??
Well you anallagy is that...the gasoline companys are our friend and they are really just passing on increased operating expenses... that MISGUIDED stuff is what that CEO'S are piling on. WHILE they brag about 300% profits for their share holders. If you think safety over bottom profit line is their focus. Then you are severly misguided, If you think they won't screw you over a tinny tiny bit of market share....YOU ARE WRONG!

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today