Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Nice pic. What tire is it and what pressure you're running? You like it better than the MC tire you had before?
I'm curious as well. It looks good in the photo. I bet it rides great.

Take care,
Dave

Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Ultra
Got a decent pic of my car tire in a curve where it shows how much it flexed.
Looks to me like your decelerating AND straightening up, coming out of the turn which is the least amount of load possible on that side. It's a poor example.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:20 AM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Looks to me like your decelerating AND straightening up, coming out of the turn which is the least amount of load possible on that side. It's a poor example.
It has a load, as you requested, and shows an excellent rear view of the tires ability to deform (or mold...whichever way you want to phrase it), But now it again is a "poor example" for a few reasons? I think that is going to be the answer no matter what he produces.

"well you were under load that time in the curve, but you only banked 12.6 degrees....for it to be a good example, you'll need to show under load at 13.2"

Old 09-14-2012, 04:13 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Nice pic. What tire is it and what pressure you're running? You like it better than the MC tire you had before?
It is the Dunlop SP 5000 195/60/16 that has been recommended. I had put air in the tire before leaving that morning. One guage showed 30 lbs, the other showed 34 lbs. After comparing to the bike shops guage, it must have been 34 lbs. It did ride a little stiffer than I remembered.

Riding in rain (a lot it seems) I feel more at ease with the car tire. It has never slipped and tracks true. I ride the mountains some but most of my riding is two lane back roads.
Well, really, most may be riding back and forth to Tn. That is a lot of Interstate riding.

That license plate has been on Three Ultras now. 98, 08 and now the 09.

Leaving in a couple hours to ride back roads to Maggie Valley. Coming back Sunday.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:23 AM
98Ultra
Road Master

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I was slowing down and straightening up. Had to turn the other way.

This is a side view, doubt it tells much. Same curve.

Was gonna post one with the bike tire, two up but don't have that one available right now.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:29 AM
98Ultra
Road Master

Different bike but a bike tire for comparison. Might even be the same corner a couple, three years later.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:37 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I'll be heading for N. Ga. in an hour with the trailer - don't know how far north we'll ride, but I'll be watching for ya - we camp tonight (and night ride) but go tear up the twisties tomorrow. Head home sometime Sunday. Watch for our sparks!

Old 09-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by carpenter115
It has a load, as you requested, and shows an excellent rear view of the tires ability to deform (or mold...whichever way you want to phrase it), But now it again is a "poor example" for a few reasons? I think that is going to be the answer no matter what he produces.

"well you were under load that time in the curve, but you only banked 12.6 degrees....for it to be a good example, you'll need to show under load at 13.2"
The poster of the pic got it but you didn't.

Show me 2-up, 50-75+mph sweeper while accelerating and we'll have a conversation.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:10 AM
98Ultra
Road Master

That curve on the dragon is more of a second gear curve on an Ultra. I did do some sweepers on the Ridge yesterday at about fifty but no one stands there taking pictures. It is a touring bike, I'm not racing around corners. Therefore the car tire is good enough for me

Old 09-25-2012, 03:48 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

I would love to see a good motorcycle magazine like Bike take on this issue with some side by side comparison testing done in a professional manner with identical bikes and professional riders and some technical analysis by tire engineers. There is just so much BS around this issue and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today