Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
I"m still not gonna try it, I appreciated the corrections on my post. Yes old school bikes from yesteryear used car tires, it's called technology, Motorcycle = motorcycle tire.
That is your option and we respect that. What we don't respect are the "experts" that have never tried it but still condem it.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:48 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
That is your option and we respect that. What we don't respect are the "experts" that have never tried it but still condem it.
Did not mean any disrespect and I am no expert thats for sure, to each his own.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:51 PM
soniccbr
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why does this "its not used on a racing bike" keep coming up? I wore a 1 piece kangaroo leather suit, Sidi boots, Arai helmet and a back protector with thick A-star gloves, used tire warmers and a Pitbull swingarm and fork stand everytime I went out on the track. (I was slow, but I still raced) Most sled riders dont even wear gloves with thier HD dealer T-shirts when they go out putting. A track bike is monumentally different from any bike on this forum, and a track tire is designed to stick really good for about 50 laps and is then junk.
I have an 03 EG so a CT isn't really an option for me, but if I could find a good tire that was still being made besides the taxi tire, I would definately get one to mount on the stock rim for road trips.
So, the whole reason that some riders use CT on a MC is for a long lasting "I'ma ride from maine to Alaska" kinda tire wear and still have decent cornering abilities when they are having fun in the canyons.
If you don't like the idea of a car tire on your bike don't buy one. I hate Quakerstate oil, and Glocks, so I wont buy one. But I'm not gonna **** on anyone that does. Don't trust a CT on your bike? Cool. Then go to another thread.

Last edited by soniccbr; 08-13-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:53 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Did not mean any disrespect and I am no expert thats for sure, to each his own.
NO,No,no........I didn't take your comment as disrespect. So please don't take it that way.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:04 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
NO,No,no........I didn't take your comment as disrespect. So please don't take it that way.
Ok thanx I like what soniccbr had to say I respect that since I also race track bikes and should not have compared the two, I can see the reason for a CT being the long range tire wear.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Going another level, let's say that those "in the know" have felt the CT on a cruiser in the mountain twisties to be so much better than a MT...well, we consider that there is no comparison: the CT wins hands down for performance AND longevity. On cruisers. But waitaminnit...some guys are doing exceptional things on bikes like the Trumpet speed triples? Oof! HOW is THAT possible?
The idea of comparing a racebike to a cruiser is like comparing a rocket to a propeller driven airplane. Completely different set of physics there.

Last edited by Quadancer; 08-13-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well the physics are the same, just entirely different numbers.

It's interesting and I've been asking everyone I know that rides about it. I think the pic supports what CT guys are saying.

I would love to see an instrumented test by one of the established magazines with some extreme tests.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:25 AM
Thet
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick! Someone write into Myth Busters!!!

Old 08-14-2012, 06:14 AM
Mark5
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything you may want to know but a word of caution....these people have used the CT's and know the ins and outs so be careful or you may be convinced:

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/

Mark.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:22 AM
Mark5
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Database of tire sizes the HD riders use:

http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires&m...l=&year=&rider=

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today