Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow, I bet that isn't using a cruiser tho...Still, impressive.

AFAIK, no one notices any rebound or spring effect. After a couple hundred miles, you don't even notice the crossover effect of the additional countersteer pressure. You just look, push, and hold on. Bike does the rest. Normal formation riding often has you using one hand if you wish.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:13 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

I am eagerly awaiting my MT to wear out so I can go to the Darkside, Riding with the VRCC (Valkyrie Riders Cruiser Club) made me a believer. I only wish I could fit a bigger one. This guy lives near the Dragon and leads many rides in the mountains.

Last edited by bigfish_Oh; 08-13-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djbiker
The problem with the Heritage is that the rear end is quite narrow compared to some of the other bikes. The 75 is the widest tire that will fit. Even with this, some have had to narrow the belt guard a bit.
75 is not the width, it is the height as a percentage of the width.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:49 PM
The Shute
Club Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:22 PM
pjones1969
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I couldn't keep from thinking about this topic after I saw this at the Sundance, Wyoming Burnouts on Wednesday 8-8-12, we rode over to watch them while attending the Sturgis Rally last week, what a blast.

Boss Hoss V8, car tire on the rear, burning out, tire blew, steel belts and such flying all over the place, I didn't hear of anyone getting injured, ripped through his fender, melted his back taillight and won him the $1000 1st place, the Travel Channel was there filming so keep an eye out.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never heard of one complaint by anyone switching, everyone seems happy, just a load of BS from people with zero experience. If I had a wider tire I may consider it myself but am happy with what I have.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:41 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfish_Oh
I am eagerly awaiting my MT to wear out so I can go to the Darkside, Riding with the VRCC (Valkyrie Riders Cruiser Club) made me a believer. I only wish I could fit a bigger one. This guy lives near the Dragon and leads many rides in the mountains.
The pic tells it all the bike is on the sidewall of the tire there is no tread there, changing the geometric dynamics of the bike, it may work for you but not for me, I've yet to see one in any motorcycle racing I've seen IMHO.

Last edited by hbsoldier3; 08-13-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Mark5
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have a Kawi Nomad 1700. I had a CT on it. Loved it on the highway but on crowned roads I fought it all the time until I got tracked in a groove. Check out some of the old bike pics from the 40's, 50's and 60's. Those were all car tires. Nothing wrong with it. Geometric dynamic? Apparent on a crowned surface but the lack of tread when you go through a turn is a non-issue. You really think the MC tire tread pattern does anything other than direct water in the rain? Thats all the car tread does and very few of us are going to be going to that great of a lean angle. Sidewalls on a car tire are just as tough as a MT. They support the entire car and one quarter of a car is about a motorcycle in weight. The radial profile changes with every revolution so I agree it does not seem logical but it does and will work. I have searched the headlines and have yet to find an accident attributed to a car tire instead of a MT on a bike causing an accident where the rider leaned to far or had a bead lose its integrity.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Midgitfire
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
The pic tells it all the bike is on the sidewall of the tire there is no tread there, changing the geometric dynamics of the bike, it may work for you but not for me, I've yet to see one in any motorcycle racing I seen IMHO.
Thats a bad angle with too many shadows to be definitive.

I ran a 2" line of chalk from the rim to rim. Then went through the twists in the local mountains fairly aggressive. All the chalk was still on the sidewalls, the bike stayed on the tread the whole time, although I will admit it used 99% of the traded area.

I'll do it again one day and post some pics for all to enjoy.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:39 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

I"m still not gonna try it, I appreciated the corrections on my post. Yes old school bikes from yesteryear used car tires, it's called technology, Motorcycle = motorcycle tire.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today