Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 08:48 AM
ncdan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a 10 ply firestone truck tire for 150 bucks, which is at least three time more material than the 140- 90 that I run on my bike. If you cant see a rip off there for motorcycle here, thats great for dunlop, just dont hand out opinions like there is more technical issues for MC tires like I have heard in the past.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:35 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by djbiker
After reading hundreds of posts on numerous sights, I am ready to take the leap to the darkside for my 07 Heritage. I am concerned a bit about the only tire available, the Austone one, with the reports of vibration at 80-85 mph. Now I realize that this is an R speed rated tire, but that is still 100 mph so wonder what the vibration is from.

I am checking with a friend that is a Hankook dealer to see if any of the euro tires in the 175/75-16 size can be purchased here. I will keep posted as soon as I have an answer.

Isn't 175/75/16 a little too tall? I'm not sure about the older bikes but the 09 and later are 65 stock and with the car tire being less rounded a 60 is a better fit. You might even consider a 55.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:36 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ncdan
I just bought a 10 ply firestone truck tire for 150 bucks, which is at least three time more material than the 140- 90 that I run on my bike. If you cant see a rip off there for motorcycle here, thats great for dunlop, just dont hand out opinions like there is more technical issues for MC tires like I have heard in the past.
You're talking to me? If you are, I don't see MC tires being a rip-off. They are still reasonably priced compared to other components. On the other hand, gas is a rip-off, no question.
Have you calculated your cost of gas per mile? Mine is 6 times higher than my cost of tire per mile so if cost becomes important to me, I'll first improve my mpg before considering a CT.
I have nothing against CT but they are not for me. I'm part of the 98% who don't see the need to switch.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:49 PM
djbiker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
Isn't 175/75/16 a little too tall? I'm not sure about the older bikes but the 09 and later are 65 stock and with the car tire being less rounded a 60 is a better fit. You might even consider a 55.
The problem with the Heritage is that the rear end is quite narrow compared to some of the other bikes. The 75 is the widest tire that will fit. Even with this, some have had to narrow the belt guard a bit.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
Are you forgetting that your bike has "TWO" tires? That cuts that 1,150 static down a bunch.
I'm referring to cornering forces and accelerating. The shoots back up significantly.

Originally Posted by ncdan
Since my bike is a 03 FLH classic and I dont have a car tire option, I dont have a dog in this fight, however I must say I think this is a good thing because the more ridders switch to car tires, it will eventually force motorcycle tire companies to hop down off their high horse and stop gougeing folks for MC tires. You simply cant justify charging the prices some of them charge.
Making a motorcycle tire in the quantity they make them is not gouging and 95%+ of riders will never switch.

Originally Posted by Quadancer
The Austone stays. Went with my regular partner up to Blairsville in N. Ga. yesterday to tear up some faster sweepers, and even pushing the boards at 70, I got along with it. Keeping it under 85 total works and I can live with that, or even 80.
We thought we had a "race" with a BMW up the mountain range; he would actually gain a little bit on us in the corners and we'd leave him on the straights, eventually losing him. My partner thought he was a cop and was trying to outrun him, but I saw the car better; just a guy trying to get with the bikes. He did know how to drive though, I heard tires back there and saw him get a little sideways once, but I kinda had my hands full, if ya know what I mean.
You write often about how fast you are, how fast your bike is, etc. There are stock BMW cars AND bikes that will leave your bike in the dust in the twistys and the straights.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:55 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce

You write often about how fast you are, how fast your bike is, etc. There are stock BMW cars AND bikes that will leave your bike in the dust in the twistys and the straights.
<sarcasm on>
Ha! There are lots of self-proclaimed expert riders on this Forum, you know, and the Darksiders seem to represent a large proportion of them.
I wonder why I don't see these expert riders on the road, running circles around normal bikers like me, hitting curves and riding in the rain like raped apes. They must be riding when I sleep. Hmmm .......
<sarcasm off>

Old 07-29-2012, 07:19 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Not that I care what anyone thinks, but my bud and I have been waiting for a very long time to find any riders (excepting crotch rockets) on bikes who ride like we do. And both our bikes are cammed, mine for torque, his for power, so yes, we're a bit faster than similar bikes. And we are actively wanting others to join us on our fun runs, providing they have skills and a safety mentality to suit.

Yes, there are cars that can smoke our bikes, but again, most DRIVERS can't run what they brung. And we don't consider ourselves "expert" riders either. That is an elite class of crazies who push the boundaries; we ride closer to the "pace", except a bit harder. Our big thing is just not slowing for corners much and staying in our lane - which makes it more challenging, but less obvious to the law.
I do mention it too much, didn't want to sound like bragging; just presenting the facts.
We freakin' pass EVERYBODY, it seems.

My point has always been, that I do it on a CT, and it has been majestically better than any MT I've ever run.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Not that I care what anyone thinks, but my bud and I have been waiting for a very long time to find any riders (excepting crotch rockets) on bikes who ride like we do. And both our bikes are cammed, mine for torque, his for power, so yes, we're a bit faster than similar bikes. And we are actively wanting others to join us on our fun runs, providing they have skills and a safety mentality to suit.

Yes, there are cars that can smoke our bikes, but again, most DRIVERS can't run what they brung. And we don't consider ourselves "expert" riders either. That is an elite class of crazies who push the boundaries; we ride closer to the "pace", except a bit harder. Our big thing is just not slowing for corners much and staying in our lane - which makes it more challenging, but less obvious to the law.
I do mention it too much, didn't want to sound like bragging; just presenting the facts.
We freakin' pass EVERYBODY, it seems.

My point has always been, that I do it on a CT, and it has been majestically better than any MT I've ever run.
That's a great response and totally believable. Curious, are there any road course near you that breed some faster cagers and riders from exposure and practice at track days?

Old 07-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Road Atlanta is there, but costly to get in. Too bad there's not a practice track somewhere that's free to play with. I'd be tickled to see one of the naysayers show up on one of our runs with their bikes.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Is there any type of spring effect of the tire resuming it's square contact with the road (wanting to stand upright) when transitioning out of turn. I guess this is probably been covered but now we're at 51 pages and I'm losing track.

Road Atlanta is there, but costly to get in. Too bad there's not a practice track somewhere that's free to play with. I'd be tickled to see one of the naysayers show up on one of our runs with their bikes.
Ah yes, great track. 2nd fastest in the North American continent I believe.

That's where the fast guys are on track days.

OT: I've been trying to compare lap times to stock superbikes vs. stock cars. Near as I can tell, at Laguna Seca the car record is 1:33 and a friend thinks the best stock bikes can do 1:29s on stock rubber.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 07-30-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today