Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:14 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I've only got about 12k on my CT since last August. Riding around eastern NC and back to south central Tn with vacations in the Maggie Valley area. Just haven't ridden much this year.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:11 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,324 Likes on 1,998 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
800lb bike with fluids & gear. I'm 215lbs in gear. So really, with my girl, more like 1,150lbs static. More than that in a turn with the loading.
Are you forgetting that your bike has "TWO" tires? That cuts that 1,150 static down a bunch.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:17 AM
djbiker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading hundreds of posts on numerous sights, I am ready to take the leap to the darkside for my 07 Heritage. I am concerned a bit about the only tire available, the Austone one, with the reports of vibration at 80-85 mph. Now I realize that this is an R speed rated tire, but that is still 100 mph so wonder what the vibration is from.

I am checking with a friend that is a Hankook dealer to see if any of the euro tires in the 175/75-16 size can be purchased here. I will keep posted as soon as I have an answer.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:38 AM
ncdan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since my bike is a 03 FLH classic and I dont have a car tire option, I dont have a dog in this fight, however I must say I think this is a good thing because the more ridders switch to car tires, it will eventually force motorcycle tire companies to hop down off their high horse and stop gougeing folks for MC tires. You simply cant justify charging the prices some of them charge.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:55 AM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master
Default Hell YES!

Originally Posted by ncdan
Since my bike is a 03 FLH classic and I dont have a car tire option, I dont have a dog in this fight, however I must say I think this is a good thing because the more ridders switch to car tires, it will eventually force motorcycle tire companies to hop down off their high horse and stop gougeing folks for MC tires. You simply cant justify charging the prices some of them charge.

I second this....

Old 07-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Iamnoutlaw
Intermediate

Ive got news for you,try cornering against a corvett you will lose everytime.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:20 PM
djbiker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Iamnoutlaw
Ive got news for you,try cornering against a corvett you will lose everytime.
And try flying against a Cessna and you will lose every time too.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:41 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

The Austone stays. Went with my regular partner up to Blairsville in N. Ga. yesterday to tear up some faster sweepers, and even pushing the boards at 70, I got along with it. Keeping it under 85 total works and I can live with that, or even 80.
We thought we had a "race" with a BMW up the mountain range; he would actually gain a little bit on us in the corners and we'd leave him on the straights, eventually losing him. My partner thought he was a cop and was trying to outrun him, but I saw the car better; just a guy trying to get with the bikes. He did know how to drive though, I heard tires back there and saw him get a little sideways once, but I kinda had my hands full, if ya know what I mean.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:32 AM
hardone2get
6th Gear

I have a brand new Austone for sale if some one wants to go darkside.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:34 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ncdan
........ it will eventually force motorcycle tire companies to hop down off their high horse and stop gougeing folks for MC tires. You simply cant justify charging the prices some of them charge.
Motorcycle tire Cos are doing fine. Darksiders represent at the most 5% of the riders market and if you consider HD only, it looks like something like 98% of HD owners are perfectly fine buying MC tires for their bikes.

As far as "gouging" is concerned, top of the line rear MC tires like Michelin Commander II, Dunlop American Elite or Metzeler in 180 sells online for $150-$170. That's far from gouging IMO, especially when you can log around 15K miles on them. That's at least 2 riding seasons for the majority of HD owners.

People who ride >10,000 miles year are the exception, not the norm.

I'm just sayin'........

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today