Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside(car tire)today

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:03 PM
djbiker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MYCRISIS
It's a shame you have to change them just when they get squared off and get the benefit of all that "improved handling". I am mistaken, you sir, should ride a car tire.
It truly is a shame that the center of the dam motorcycle tire is showing the belts and the sides are barely worn. I think I will go to a car tire on mine too so I can have TREAD on the center of the tire instead of BELTS.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by redrub
.... ya gotta love them naysayers.....
We only call by to give you a poke and see what you're up to. Just idle curiosity.....

Old 07-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliden
And they say the side walls are not as strong so when you hit those pot holes that loosen your fillings you may also damage a rim. Just not worth saving a few bucks. M.O.
Gosh all Golly!!! Lions an' Tigers an' Bears!!!
Uh, this:

Yeh, load THAT with your bike.

Guys, I'll try and wear out this Austone under 85 mph. In the meantime, I've started a query thread for the http://www.cokertire.com/brands/coke...wall-tire.html -we need to get some reports on this tire; it's the only other one in the US we can fit, but since I was the guinea pig for the Comtrac, I'll let someone else's money burn this one.

A third alternative was found on the DS forums in a shipped Michelin from Europe with only $150+ shipping, so under $300. That one tempts me since it's a Mick.

Last edited by Quadancer; 07-17-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:56 PM
bikefxds
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Right on man...I don't give a damn how many testimonials I hear about how a car tire is just fine on a motorcycle. Those knuckleheads that run 'em are probably driving 30mph to work and home every day and put on 3K in the span of a year with no real cornering. When a car can take corner like a motorcycle, I'll consider it. I live in Daytona. I go to a number of stock car races at the speedway. When those guys take that 30 degree bank in turn 4, which is about the same as cornering a bike, their tires last 20 minutes. Yeah, I know they're goin' 190 mph, but if they went a little less than half of that, they might get 40 minutes out of the best made tires in the world. If you put a car tire on a motorcycle, you dance with the devil in the worst way...just my opinion!

Old 07-19-2012, 05:57 PM
hardone2get
6th Gear

Any of the people who are running the Austone have a rim wider then 3"??? I'm wondering if the Austone is giving wobble problems due to the narrow rim? I believe that if I could run a 5.5" rim there wouldn't be any wobble as the bead would spread out which also helps with the side wall.
Thought's???

Old 07-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone notice a difference after the break-in of what, 100 miles or so? I can't remember how many miles it's supposed to be, with the manufacturing oils or whatever.

BTW Quadancer, let's see a 1000lb load on a CT at a 25 degree angle stress test vs. an MC.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 07-19-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Coolhawg6622
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bikefxds
Right on man...I don't give a damn how many testimonials I hear about how a car tire is just fine on a motorcycle. Those knuckleheads that run 'em are probably driving 30mph to work and home every day and put on 3K in the span of a year with no real cornering. When a car can take corner like a motorcycle, I'll consider it. I live in Daytona. I go to a number of stock car races at the speedway. When those guys take that 30 degree bank in turn 4, which is about the same as cornering a bike, their tires last 20 minutes. Yeah, I know they're goin' 190 mph, but if they went a little less than half of that, they might get 40 minutes out of the best made tires in the world. If you put a car tire on a motorcycle, you dance with the devil in the worst way...just my opinion!
Say...fyi.....those are racing slicks and have a completely different compound in them....and if you have never ran or tried one your opinion is pretty much useless...

Old 07-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Anyone notice a difference after the break-in of what, 100 miles or so? I can't remember how many miles it's supposed to be, with the manufacturing oils or whatever.

BTW Quadancer, let's see a 1000lb load on a CT at a 25 degree angle stress test vs. an MC.
I burn mine in doing low speed corners around the neighborhood, scraping the boards until the mold slick is gone - only about a 1/2 hour. By the time I'm at 100 miles, I've been tearing up sweepers at speed already. But that's just me.

With my extended forks and larger rear tire, I have about 3 degrees less on the right and 1 degree more on the left than the new sportsters. If I DON'T scrape on a turn, I tend to feel like something was wrong, I'm so used to it.
Plus this is with picking speed lines, rolling on the gas at the apex, to fully utilize those torque cams. NEW lean angles: 41 Right side, 36 left -cornering is where these things REALLY shine it on.

Dunno where you'll get a 1000 lb load, unless you like the cute little fat chicks, but I agree that it would be a neat experiment to run. So far it's just MT can't run with CT's. But it was mentioned that rider skills would have a lot to do with it, and I concur.
But really. You'd think that with all those unloaded bikes I pass when pulling my trailer and wife along, there would be ONE rider with enough skills to give us something more than just a dirty look! I mean, dang, we're 1625 lbs, running loaded.
BRINGit.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:57 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Dunno where you'll get a 1000 lb load, unless you like the cute little fat chicks, but I agree that it would be a neat experiment to run. So far it's just MT can't run with CT's. But it was mentioned that rider skills would have a lot to do with it, and I concur.
But really. You'd think that with all those unloaded bikes I pass when pulling my trailer and wife along, there would be ONE rider with enough skills to give us something more than just a dirty look! I mean, dang, we're 1625 lbs, running loaded.
BRINGit.
800lb bike with fluids & gear. I'm 215lbs in gear. So really, with my girl, more like 1,150lbs static. More than that in a turn with the loading.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 07-20-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Midgitfire
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bikefxds
Another one bringing opinions with no experience to the table.

I've put 5,300 miles on my c/t since 4/30/12. Through the boondock mnts. of NC, TN, VA and Ky. Guess my dance card with the devil is full!!

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside(car tire)today