Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batwing fairing on RK?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Batwing fairing on RK?

Ok..first things first.... I am not flaming anyone or telling them they are nutz or whatever, I just am curious.

I have two friends who own awesome RKs and both could afford any bike they wanted including a CVO. Both put aftermarket fairings and stereos on their bikes. I agree it's their bikes and they may do whatever they wish but I have to scratch my head as to why ,if you wanted stereo and speakers and the bikes being the same except for windshield and fairing,,,, why would you not just buy an EG and get the tourpack too or get the SG? I know that some use the fairing in the winter but neither of these guys ever take their fairings off. Both just say they like the look of the fairing.

Again, not making any comment other than a curious desire to understand why the aftermarket fairing. Anybody else have a reason other than because I can ? Inquiring minds and all that stuff.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:50 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,400 Likes on 2,028 Posts

Maybe they just don't want to ride what "everyone" else rides.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:22 PM
NELS
Road Master
Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

I have a Memhis Shade batwing on my '10 RK but didn't want a radio or the extras.
19k out the door with ABS and Cruise. Don't want the box on back . Hope this helps .

Old 11-05-2010, 02:27 PM
cogener8
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a 2007 RKC and am currently looking at fairings. When I bought my bike I thought it was the best looking touring bike they offered and did not want a fairing. 3 and a half years and a couple long trips and now I want one. I like the Street glide batwing but dont like the posture for a long trip or two up. I like the Road glide posture but just dont like the shark nose. Im still in love with my leather bags. Why wouldnt a guy add a fairing and stereo? For even a couple thousand its a lot cheaper than a new bike. At 17k miles on my bike I cant justify a new bike and the only other I'd look at is an Ultra and i dont want all that bike in town. Hence my search for a fairing.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, the RK is the best looking touring bike. And maybe they are like me and want the fairing for long hauls or cold weather. My fairing is only on about 1/3 of the time. I love the flexibility of the RK. Might be the case for them also. But I do know a lot of RK riders that fairings never take them off...whatever.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:03 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I'm one who bought a new RKC, 3 yrs ago,and it took me 2 years and two long trips to realize I should have bought a fairing bike to begin with. When I bought it, I'd came off a softail and never had tunes or long term wind protection. Both are 2 reasons I will never tour on a windshield bike again. My bike has an actual H-D fairing, gauges, etc and is not removable. Why didn't I trade it or sell it and buy an ultra? A year ago, and now, bikes around here are dropping like the housing market. I wasn't going to give mine to a dealer and buy his full priced bike and start all over again. I never took the windshield off and knew I'd never take a detachable fairing off, so I made my own ultra-clone and I love the **** out of it.

Plus, I bet I'll never see another bike "exactly" like mine on the road.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:23 PM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
Maybe they just don't want to ride what "everyone" else rides.
I agree with this. It's all about customization. I have a friend who asked me why I didn't just buy a Street Glide? Then I pointed at all the stock Glides all around us at Biketoberfest. "Because they all look the same. Look, there's another one!"

Do you know how many stock EG & St. Glides you can count at Bike Week in one parking lot

Old 11-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Louisianarider
Tourer

Because your taste can change from rally to rally. Just look at my 2011 Road King Classic in my sig!

Old 11-05-2010, 05:27 PM
WildBillAce2
Road Master

$16995 + $1k for the fairing and I have a stereo that is twice as loud as a street glide, and I have the option of riding without it. Value, performance, versatility.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:00 PM
drop it
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had brand new StreetGlide in 06 and 2 years later everyone had one. When I test rode the NEW 09 RK, I fell in love, Now it is a year later and I am very happy. And no one has a bike like mine- before and after pics!! hee hee

Attached Thumbnails Batwing fairing on RK?-my-2-toys-7-25-09-001.jpg   Batwing fairing on RK?-new-tour-pac-with-amp-sub-003.jpg  

Quick Reply: Batwing fairing on RK?