Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.I.D. Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:07 AM
sloboy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H.I.D. Headlight

Im looking to install a HID headlight on my 2006 streetgilde. Can anybody tell any pros and cons regarding this install?

Old 11-05-2010, 11:59 AM
osupike18
6th Gear

We have put a few on customers' bikes here. The pros we are hearing are that the new Harley LED is very bright and the fact no other modification was needed was nice as well. The cons we are hearing is of course the price (I agree that is some change for a headlamp) and the usual people flicking their brights at the bike until the bike flips the brights to show it is only on low beam. I know you mentioned HID headlights but there are several options for a brighter headlight depending on the bike and not in just Harley stuff as well.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:22 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by osupike18
We have put a few on customers' bikes here. The pros we are hearing are that the new Harley LED is very bright and the fact no other modification was needed was nice as well. The cons we are hearing is of course the price (I agree that is some change for a headlamp) and the usual people flicking their brights at the bike until the bike flips the brights to show it is only on low beam. I know you mentioned HID headlights but there are several options for a brighter headlight depending on the bike and not in just Harley stuff as well.
Totally different animal, HID & LED......

The HID light is super bright but puts a lot of wasted light out to the sides and not down the road. Of course this is because the stock HD headlamp is not made for high powered bulbs.

My HID unit worked good up until a few months ago, then it would go out at will and come on at will. Maybe a bad ballast or relay but I decided to get rid of it. Went with a Hella E headlamp and a 80/100 watt Hella bulb. Can't really see any difference in the light output except the distance is staggering now. All for under $80 shipped.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:14 PM
sloboy
4th Gear

Would I be able to adjust HID headlight beam more to the ground where is needed more?

Old 11-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,640 Posts

I went real cheap & got a $20 Osram bulb from Germanautoparts.com. Nice & bright - saved a ton...

Old 11-05-2010, 01:20 PM
gmurdock
Tourer

I went with a High/Low HID from DDM around $60 including shipping. Great best light I have had on a bike. Took about 1 hour to install the correct way. Had to adjust the lamp but that was about it. I put this on my 09 Street Glide. So that was removing the tank & outer fairing like you will have to do. IMO go for it. You can go & buy HD for $500??

Old 11-05-2010, 01:24 PM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a complete HID kit for under $50... You can also adjust the headlight down a little, if you want. The result is a very bright headlight for less watts. That's what I have.

I am really not sure why a high wattage light bulb would put out light differently than a HID bulb... Assuming that both bulbs output similar light and the pattern is the same, I would think that the headlight reflects the light the same way, and light is light... I guess, I would have to see both bulbs for differences...

Like I said, I have HID... I know that one day I will install an LED headlight (when the price comes down to under $50).

Your mileage might vary...

Last edited by boom23; 11-05-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:56 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by tteazis
You can get a complete HID kit for under $50... You can also adjust the headlight down a little, if you want. The result is a very bright headlight for less watts. That's what I have.

I am really not sure why a high wattage light bulb would put out light differently than a HID bulb... Assuming that both bulbs output similar light and the pattern is the same, I would think that the headlight reflects the light the same way, and light is light... I guess, I would have to see both bulbs for differences...

Like I said, I have HID... I know that one day I will install an LED headlight (when the price comes down to under $50).

Your mileage might vary...
It's not the bulb that determines where the light goes, it's the headlamp that you put the bulb into. I have had HID lights on two bikes and the light is super bright but does not light up the road at the distance I thought it would. Plenty of light to light up both shoulders though. Since I was having trouble with my HID light going off and on, I did some research and after reading another post on here from someone who went with the Hella lamp and bulb, I decided that was my best option. Less parts to worry about malfunctioning and the light output is about the same.

For the price of the LED headlight($500), I can replace the 100/80 watt bulb ($32) 30 times (they come 2 in a package).

Old 11-05-2010, 05:39 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gmurdock
I went with a High/Low HID from DDM around $60 including shipping. Great best light I have had on a bike. Took about 1 hour to install the correct way. Had to adjust the lamp but that was about it. I put this on my 09 Street Glide. So that was removing the tank & outer fairing like you will have to do. IMO go for it. You can go & buy HD for $500??
+1 on this. I live in San Diego and went and picked up my HID kit from DDM myself. Good company. All I can say is that for the money, there is, IMHO no better lighting you can get for the price. It is a huge difference between the Silverstar bulbs I had and the HIDs. So much so that I will be putting kits in my truck and my wife's car.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:09 PM
harleyflhrs
Advanced
Default headlight bright

well i run the brand name called "PIAA" they have blue color to them bright as hell long lasting and take lots of vibration. H-4 bulb maybe this part number helps u #75Z-704556. u run high beam all day i don't give a dam about other cars. at night low beam, unless i need high.

Quick Reply: H.I.D. Headlight