Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.I.D. Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 05:44 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelman38
Putting a HID bulb and ballast in a housing not designed for HID is illegal. The glare caused by the HID bulb is dangerous to other drivers. The Dept of Transportation has it explained on their web site. A change of housing for the bulb is necessary. A projector lens or suitable upgrade makes the HID a great option.
Your right about it being illegal. But so are replacing exhaust pipes with louder non EPA compliant ones, wearing beanie non DOT helmets in helmet law states, so is speeding and doing a rolling stop at a stop sign. But I'm sure you've never done any of those things right?

Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 PM
dgretz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search on HID as last fall someone from hidextra.com was offering a $15 - discount coupon code (harleyspecial-w) as well as someone did a install write up. I bought the HID/Halogen version @ $56 with disc was $41 delivered. Have run it now for 1 year and still okay. Way better than the stock halogen. I got the 5000k version

Old 11-11-2010, 11:46 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 570 Likes on 397 Posts
Old 11-12-2010, 07:14 AM
wheelman38
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
Your right about it being illegal. But so are replacing exhaust pipes with louder non EPA compliant ones, wearing beanie non DOT helmets in helmet law states, so is speeding and doing a rolling stop at a stop sign. But I'm sure you've never done any of those things right?
I didn't write the laws, but I see why they are in place. Safety is key. This is an information sharing forum for those who, I imagine, want to have the best info before they make a decision. That's why I read comments here. Take what you need and leave the rest. Ride safe blinky.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Cars with HID lights supplied when new have self-levelling lights that are supposed to prevent dazzle for other motorists. But Harley makes an HID kit (I have one) and that is good enough for me! It is easy to adjust so that it aims correctly.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:28 AM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not all HID equipped cars have self-leveling. In Europe it is a requirement but not in the US. My 2010 Audi S5 does not have it. The 2011 S5 has it though.

Anyway, HID is brighter, inexpensive, and a well worth upgrade, for me. I do not see why it is worse than putting a high wattage bulb (which draws much more current than the stock wirring was designed for). I put HID on all my bikes and I never had a problem.

There will be many opinions on the matter but that's what makes this country great...

Old 11-12-2010, 11:13 AM
gtnot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another "+1" for the DDM kit. Of course if you have auxiliary lights they look funny being yellow next to the bright white HID.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by gtnot
Of course if you have auxiliary lights they look funny being yellow next to the bright white HID.
That's been a problem all the time I have owned my Glide (over 20 years now). I have upgraded the lights several times and the various white ones have never looked the same! One reason I fitted an HID headlight was because my new halogen passing lamps looked whiter then the headlight I had at that time.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Fatboyonfatboy
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gmurdock
I went with a High/Low HID from DDM around $60 including shipping. Great best light I have had on a bike. Took about 1 hour to install the correct way. Had to adjust the lamp but that was about it. I put this on my 09 Street Glide. So that was removing the tank & outer fairing like you will have to do. IMO go for it. You can go & buy HD for $500??

What is DDM and how can I order a kit for my 2007 Fatboy? Any info would be great.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:31 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had HID installed in my RG, but have since removed them. They did not light the road up enough. They did have a distinct color to them, that IMO, made me more visible to others around me, much like you can always spot the blue tinted lights in the sea of yellow headlights. I read more about them after I had them installed and found they work much better with the proper reflector to focus the light correctly. I now use a higher wattage bulb, until the LED's are available for the RG...

Quick Reply: H.I.D. Headlight