Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.I.D. Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 01:28 PM
sloboy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again. I do a lot of high way driving at night. Im looking for a light that will really light up the road in front me. Nothing like not being able to see potholes.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:14 PM
rides99fatboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
+1 on this. I live in San Diego and went and picked up my HID kit from DDM myself. Good company. All I can say is that for the money, there is, IMHO no better lighting you can get for the price. It is a huge difference between the Silverstar bulbs I had and the HIDs. So much so that I will be putting kits in my truck and my wife's car.
So what color bulb did you guys go with? I checked DDM's website and they offer several colors. The standard bulb on the SG is sort of yellowish. I have Kuryakn halogen driving lamps and they produce a whiter light. I'd like to get a headlamp that is closer to the white color.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:55 PM
pinballparker
Advanced

Originally Posted by rides99fatboy
So what color bulb did you guys go with? I checked DDM's website and they offer several colors. The standard bulb on the SG is sort of yellowish. I have Kuryakn halogen driving lamps and they produce a whiter light. I'd like to get a headlamp that is closer to the white color.
5000K is what your looking for

Old 11-06-2010, 05:16 PM
driv3rx
Road Captain

pros:bright as hell ,really lights up the road,doesn't use as much wattage once it is on(alot at startup).
cons:hard to find inconspicous place to mount the ballast(I put mine in a windshield bag(and no it does not get hot),also you will have a hard time riding or driving anything else with regular headlamps(Ialso have them on my truck).

Old 11-06-2010, 06:50 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rides99fatboy
I got 6000K, but 5000K is a little whiter in color. I am happy with the 6K bulbs though. They are supposed to be a slight blue tint, but they look snow white to me.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:33 PM
ks6c
Tourer

I found HID to be incompatible with the Customs Dynamics run-turn-brake controller. The CD controller causes the headlight and spots to flash when the security module sets instead of the turn signals like with the stock configuration, and that blew out 2 ballasts in short order. If you are considering replacing your turns with LEDs, this might be something to keep in mind. I ended up with the H-D halogen.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:28 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
+1 on this. I live in San Diego and went and picked up my HID kit from DDM myself. Good company. All I can say is that for the money, there is, IMHO no better lighting you can get for the price. It is a huge difference between the Silverstar bulbs I had and the HIDs. So much so that I will be putting kits in my truck and my wife's car.
I'm a bit concerned about product lifetime. How long have you been using them Chris?

BTW - say hi there at FASWTCP. At least it got renamed that by the time I got back for some shore duty there in the late 60's.

Steve

Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 AM
rmd
Advanced

I sell kits for cars and in my opinion the kits doesn't make too much difference. The best is the most expensive onelike 400$ Harley or Kury Xe7R headlamps. I use Kury and it is great IMO

Old 11-11-2010, 05:00 PM
sloboy
4th Gear

I did buy a HID light kit for a car and installed it on my sreet glide. Works great so far. I did have to ajust the beam down some from it's original location. It was blinding when I stood about 30 ft in front of bike. Good thing is I now have a extra ballast and bulb.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:40 PM
wheelman38
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bulb

Putting a HID bulb and ballast in a housing not designed for HID is illegal. The glare caused by the HID bulb is dangerous to other drivers. The Dept of Transportation has it explained on their web site. A change of housing for the bulb is necessary. A projector lens or suitable upgrade makes the HID a great option.

Quick Reply: H.I.D. Headlight