Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead FOB battery almost left me stranded - 2010 RK

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 02:54 AM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Dead FOB battery almost left me stranded - 2010 RK

So there I was, putting gas about 1 mile away from the customer site, just before going on site... I usually work from home, but needed to pay a visit to this customer to check some T-1 lines...

Anyway, after replacing the pump and gas cap, putting glove back on, getting back on bike, turn ignition switch to on position... I hear two chirps from the alarm, both turn arrows go on simultaneously on the dash... WTH... two more chirps... press the Start button... nothing... alarm starts wailing... crap! I turn ignition to off position, alarm is still wailing... WTH!

Set bike back on stand, turn wheel to left, and alarm eventually shuts off after a little while. Tried different things with the key (locking/unlocking), same deal each time. I'm starting to get worried... I don't remember how to get to the disarm code sequence.

FOB is in my pocket... take it out, shake it (in case battery is loose or something). Same thing - alarm keeps triggering.

Take out the manual (luckily I kept it in the saddlebag)... flipped to the alarm card page... disarmed the alarm using the code and instructions, turned bike on and went to work without issue . After work - same thing again, but I was ready with the disarm sequence this time.

Got home, got the spare fob, brought it close to the bike, everything worked fine. Switched fobs on my key ring... replaced battery on the other fob, and it worked fine as well.

I just purchased my new 2010 Road King in September - this year, less than two months ago... am I doing something wrong to deplete the FOB battery so quickly? Did the dealer just give me a fob with a bad battery? Or is this normal FOB battery changing time for a 2010 model? The battery in my truck's FOB has lasted literally years with constant use... bad battery in the FOB to begin with? Don't know...

Anyhow... Just a reminder to replace your batteries before they go bad... and know your code and how to disarm your alarm and ignition cut-off just in case

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by caberto; 11-05-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:21 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine lasted 9 months and failed while at a Toys for Tots run. 2032 battery sold everywhere and now change once a year.

PS your bike may only be a couple months old but could have been built more than a year ago

Old 11-05-2010, 04:21 AM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just happened to me, too. I had just done some lighting mods, added a load equalizer, and thought I messed something up. Just the fob battery. Fortunately, I had the card from the back of the owner's manual in my wallet with my code. Mine is an '08, though, and this is a first for me. So no battery life problem here.

Still haven't changed the battery in the other fob. Guess I better do that today. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:38 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Remember that the H-D fob transmits constantly (24 hours a day, even though it is at a fairly low power), while fobs for passenger cars generally only transmit when you press the button to unlock the doors.

I believe there are exceptions for some of the newer cars that don't use an ignition key, but then they likely will run into similar problems that the H-D fobs have. My friend has a new Infiniti that is keyless and apparently works the same as the Harley (you must be within a certain proximity to the car to start it or unlock the doors.) However, if the battery goes dead, you can still start the car by using some small magnetic "key" that is part of the fob.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:29 AM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Good reminder.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I carry a spare battery in my saddlebag and change the FOB battery every year.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:06 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Knock on wood, mine is almost 2 yrs old. I've since reprogrammed my disable code so I'm ready just in case.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess it's time to change my batteries. My bike was built in Apr '09. I do keep the wallet security disarm card in my wallet but need to practice the routine.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:32 AM
bikehe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
I carry a spare battery in my saddlebag and change the FOB battery every year.
+1 on that idea. Suppose it wouldnt hurt to also photo copy the disarm section on the manual and keep a plastized copy on the bike. Thanks for reminding me too

Old 11-05-2010, 07:34 AM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Happened to me about a year after buying the bike. Luckily, I was in a Target parking lot! Now I just replace the battery in both fobs every year on my birthday.

Quick Reply: Dead FOB battery almost left me stranded - 2010 RK