Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome front end kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:46 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

This is a great time to do everything upright while your there!

like new shocks(big improvement),floating rotors(sweet),and other details that may or may not be in the kit? like caliper & mounting bolts,spacers,caps,rotor bolts,washer between fender and sliders,front tire and pads.

This was done over last winter taking my time,parts online(20% disc) it all ended up costing about $1200 passed on the used or exchange stuff which would have saved a couple bills.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:51 AM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought the HD chrome kit, took off the existing and had the dealer swap out the inners. Looked like there were special tools needed to that but maybe I'm wrong about that. I then put it back on with chrome rotors from Eastern Performance which were very reasonable. The previous suggestions about the smaller spacers etc is the way to go. I also added the HD chrome brake covers. The chrome front end looks great on my black Ultra as it does in the pics above. I'm not a wrench by trade, but a couple of years ago I got sick of getting screwed by the dealer so I bought the Fix My Hog CDs and studied them, doing smaller jobs. I bought a Harbor Freight bike lift which has been worth every penny, a bike sissor jack that is needed to get the front or rear end up off the lift to do some jobs, bought just about every small tool dodad from harbor freight including lb torque wrenches; and good ratches, sockets, all types of wrenches and an inch torque wrench from Sears including a couple of tool boxes. Got some metric too. To do this job I had to buy a special socket to to get the fork cap off at the top of the fork, btw, but I think others have used a metric socket. The fork drain plub is 5mm metric, btw. The dealer charged me over $175 to swap out the old inners that I delivered to their shop. Did it by the "book" replacing everything even though my 09 Ultra only had about 5k on it. ripped off again. Can't imagine what it would cost for the stealership to do the entire job. On top of that, immediately when I got it back the front end would bottom out on small potholes which it never did before and neither did my 05 flht with 35k. Does not dive with a hard stop though. Dealer said it is ok. If I had to do it over again, I'd have the originals chromed so as not to take a chance on getting a defective product.
Coincidently, I'm putting in new bars this week and since I've got the outer fairing, radio and fairing cap off, I drained the fork oil and found about 11 oz in the leftwhich is correct and over 13 oz in the right. Question 1: anyone think that that would cause poor shock damping?? Question 2: Anyone using SE fork oil in an 09 and above?? I'm thinking of mixing a 1/3 SE and 2/3 regular fork oil mix. Don't want to make the ride worse. Hope you don't considering my questions off topic or highjacking this thread since problems and choices of fork oil can perhaps come into play with how a chrome front end is completed. Best of luck on your project.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:05 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,337 Likes on 22,637 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorboatn SOB
Local shop here does a winter special 50% off kit and 50% off labor for front ends. Cost me $402 out the door. Same for SE motor upgrades.
Now that's a deal. I wished my local.only dealer would do that in Rapid City SD. I would have er' done..

Old 11-29-2010, 08:02 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Now that's a deal. I wished my local.only dealer would do that...
now factor in your time going back over everything?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:48 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the chrome front end installed while they were doing a major service,they installed the chrome lowers and bells for $0.00 labor,it was all apart already for fork oil change
$456.95 was the total cost for chrome lowers installed,new front brake pads too for just cost of the pads,they had them out already no more labor to put new ones in.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:54 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Some good deals here. If I could get someone to do it for parts and labor for under $450, I'd do that for sure. I just bought the chrome front end kit from Lakeshore for $367 free shipping. I'll install myself. Its not that hard. Doing that plus lowering for new 21. Going to replace brake pads while its apart.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

T106, the part no. (46371-08) you listed DOES include the cowbells.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
The exchange doesn't really save as much as you think either (and I'm a cheap bastard). I bought the kit, installed it myself, and I'm planning on sending my original stuff to my local powder coater for a Gloss Black coat. Just in case I ever get tired of my chrome.
FWIW - it's a pretty simple job to DIY. The manual walks you through it....

Last edited by Scorpion07; 11-30-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:19 AM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same here. My father did the chrome front end on his SG and after no luck trying to sell the stock sliders/cow bells I think Im going to have them PC'ed black. Should have better luck selling them off like that...or so Im hoping.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:38 PM
bigdog44
Stage II

i just had kit 46371-08 installed by my mechanic and i just noticed he gave me back a wheel spacer and retainer is that normal?

Old 03-08-2011, 07:03 PM
soulpony
Road Captain

The chrome really cleans up the front end

Quick Reply: Chrome front end kit