Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone NOT like 12.5" Wild 1 apes

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:17 AM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf
You should have taken the $$$ you used on the wire extensions and bought a +6 brake line. Your waisting your $$$ on wire extensions, especially for the TBW because even with the higher bars, the TBW plug sits in the stock location. It's the plugs for the hand controls that need to be moved a bit and even that is better than extending the wires.
I totally disagree with that. The NAMZ extensions work great! If you use them properly, (i.e. fish the stock wires through the bars first, and THEN add the extensions) they work like a dream. Also don't listen to guys that say to solder the extensions; if you connect them and heat shrink them properly, they will be fine without soldering. We have fighter jets flying sorties every day with the same kind of connections (unsoldered and heat shrunk) in the harnesses of their throttles and flight controls. ( I used to work on them). By using the extensions and thereby keeping the stock routing and placement of the wiring bundles you minimize stress and strain on everything. I had my wires fished, extended, and back in the connectors inside of an hour with minimal swearing.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:35 AM
monumaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1158
i wish Wild 1 made a 10" bar in a style like the 577s... i know 575s are 10" but they have a totally diffferent look...
i'm looking for bars that are a bit higher but NOT over the fairing...10" would be just about perfect..plus i'm only 5'7" so i don't need em THAT high... I really like the Black finsh WILD 1 uses too....

you listening WILD 1? can you make me some 577s...just 2" shorter???

+1 come on and hook it up...

Old 11-05-2010, 12:37 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thereal142
I totally disagree with that. The NAMZ extensions work great! If you use them properly, (i.e. fish the stock wires through the bars first, and THEN add the extensions) they work like a dream. Also don't listen to guys that say to solder the extensions; if you connect them and heat shrink them properly, they will be fine without soldering. We have fighter jets flying sorties every day with the same kind of connections (unsoldered and heat shrunk) in the harnesses of their throttles and flight controls. ( I used to work on them). By using the extensions and thereby keeping the stock routing and placement of the wiring bundles you minimize stress and strain on everything. I had my wires fished, extended, and back in the connectors inside of an hour with minimal swearing.
Don't understand how you can disagree with wasting money? You must have nothing better to spend $$$ on.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:18 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I guess I'll be the first to post, in my own thread, that I didn't like the wo577b. Bars arrived today via UPS and I get sent them back to Dennis Kirk an hour later. Wrist angle felt strange. That's why I like buying from DK, everything is returnable. I'll stick with my wo575b.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Finnster1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gtrplyr
Well I guess I'll be the first to post, in my own thread, that I didn't like the wo577b. Bars arrived today via UPS and I get sent them back to Dennis Kirk an hour later. Wrist angle felt strange. That's why I like buying from DK, everything is returnable. I'll stick with my wo575b.
Oh no.......this isnt good news for those of us who just about had made our decision to go with the WO577B's!!

can you post a pic of your 575's?

Old 11-05-2010, 04:22 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 12.5 on a road king .My wife use to ride it now it is a shared bike they are real nice bars not to tall and just right

Old 11-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1158
i wish Wild 1 made a 10" bar in a style like the 577s... i know 575s are 10" but they have a totally diffferent look...
i'm looking for bars that are a bit higher but NOT over the fairing...10" would be just about perfect..plus i'm only 5'7" so i don't need em THAT high... I really like the Black finsh WILD 1 uses too....

you listening WILD 1? can you make me some 577s...just 2" shorter???
I love my 575s.. I am 5' 7" also and they keep my hands just inside the fairing....06 Ultra...

Old 11-05-2010, 05:36 PM
steelhead
Road Master

Take my opinion for what it is, my opinion. I have only sat on a bike with the 12.5s. On mine I have the Chubby 14" Apes and I love them. Yes the wrist angle feels odd for the first few miles then I never thought of it again.

I put mine on finishing on a Sunday and then left Thursday for a 2000 mile trip to Alberta and back. Best mod I have ever made.

The only complaint I have is I wish I had gone with 16" instead. I'm 6' and long armed and even with the bars tipped forward to the windshield, they could be a bit higher.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:38 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Finnster1
Oh no.......this isnt good news for those of us who just about had made our decision to go with the WO577B's!!

can you post a pic of your 575's?
I will try to grab a few pics tomorrow. You may like the wo577b. They just felt strange to me. Then when I called dr v-twin to check on lines and was told $350 due to ABS, that was all I needed to send back the bars. My wo575b's have been great for the last year with just a bit of uncomfortableness between my shoulder blades. Plus being in Michigan I like the idea of my hands behind the fairing as the weather can get pretty cold here. I really wish I could find a bagger with apes and ride it first to know if its worth the time/money.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:05 AM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

All you guys that keep responding to threads about apes on batwing bikes with posts about how your Road King apes look/feel/sound/taste/smell/makeyoufeelallwarmandfuzzy might as well talk about the steering wheels on your lawn tractors....different bars entirely; different bikes, too. Grownups are talkin' here, boys.......

Quick Reply: Anyone NOT like 12.5" Wild 1 apes