Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my vented leather lowers installed on my Road King Classic

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 03:01 PM
ehans
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Got my vented leather lowers installed on my Road King Classic

Just got my lowers from LeatherPros.com installed on my Road King Classic. I love'em. Excuse the extreme filth on the bike. Had some strange rains here in SoCal last 2 weeks and haven't cleaned it up.

I've always loved the look of the big lowers on the EG's and other bikes but thought it would look stupid on a RKC with the leather bags. Found these online and purchased through my local dealer at Orange County HD in Irvine CA.

They are tool-less installs, but they are not quick remove. Took about 30 minutes to get them on. I could probably take them off in 10 min and back on in 15-20 now, but this is not for casually removing for washing or to just convert to a leaner look for one ride.

Should help in the cooler days this winter when I can close the vents. In the summer, it should keep the motor a bit cooler as it directs more airflow directly to the first cylinder.

The glove boxes lock and inside is some of the mounting hardware, so they cannot be stolen without someone taking a saw to them.

EXCELLENT quality though. I'd heard good things about LeatherPros and can say I agree fully. I'll post the remaining 2 pics in a followup post. It only allowed 5 at a time.

Attached Thumbnails Got my vented leather lowers installed on my Road King Classic-image1.jpg   Got my vented leather lowers installed on my Road King Classic-image2.jpg   Got my vented leather lowers installed on my Road King Classic-image3.jpg   Got my vented leather lowers installed on my Road King Classic-image4.jpg   Got my vented leather lowers installed on my Road King Classic-image5.jpg  

Old 11-02-2010, 03:02 PM
ehans
Tourer

And the final two pics.

Attached Thumbnails Got my vented leather lowers installed on my Road King Classic-image6.jpg   Got my vented leather lowers installed on my Road King Classic-image7.jpg  
Old 11-02-2010, 03:14 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good! Congrats! I know what you mean about the weather though! But, high 80's today & mid 90's tomorrow! Gotta love CA winters!

Old 11-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Spindrifter
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Great looking addition! Thanks for sharing. I wonder if the mounting hardware could be modified at some point to make them quick release. I do like to strip mine down occaisionally for a local ride......

Old 11-02-2010, 03:30 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

look good, are they leather covered fiberglass?

Old 11-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice look! Perfect for your bike.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:40 PM
ehans
Tourer

Originally Posted by Spindrifter
Great looking addition! Thanks for sharing. I wonder if the mounting hardware could be modified at some point to make them quick release. I do like to strip mine down occaisionally for a local ride......
Don't know. You have two wing nuts, two plastic tabs and 4 large nuts with plastic around them that you can turn with your hand per side. It is a tight fit so getting some of the holes to line up with the screws is a bit of a pain, but once on, they seem to fit beautifully.

If you look closely at the 5th image in the 1st post under the brake pedal, you can see two of the big nuts that are screwed onto a u-bolt that holds the bottom in place. There are two more just like it inside the glovebox that hold it in place and provide a solid mounting point to wrap the shell around and fasten via the wingnuts.

Like I said, it isn't difficult, but a lot of twisting and some wrangling to get everything lined up before tightening.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:41 PM
ehans
Tourer

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
look good, are they leather covered fiberglass?
ABS plastic wrapped in real leather, and I got the RKC basketweave pattern to match the rest of the bike.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:27 PM
trook
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you provide us with the web address of the seller and perhaps a price?

Old 11-02-2010, 05:00 PM
ehans
Tourer

I paid $570 for mine including shipping and taxes. They don't sell to individuals but only through HD dealers. They have a list online of HD Dealers that will ship to you if your local dealer won't. Mine - Orange County HD - was more than willing to set up an account and handle the transaction for me.

Their address and est. pricing is at http://leatherpros.com/website1_005.htm - sort of a wide range depending on what type you get. They have about 10-12 different styles to fit softails and touring bikes. Mine are the LT2070 style to match the Road King Classic leather styling.

Quick Reply: Got my vented leather lowers installed on my Road King Classic