Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my vented leather lowers installed on my Road King Classic

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Soft422
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehans
Just got my lowers from LeatherPros.com installed on my Road King Classic. I love'em. Excuse the extreme filth on the bike. Had some strange rains here in SoCal last 2 weeks and haven't cleaned it up.

I've always loved the look of the big lowers on the EG's and other bikes but thought it would look stupid on a RKC with the leather bags. Found these online and purchased through my local dealer at Orange County HD in Irvine CA.

They are tool-less installs, but they are not quick remove. Took about 30 minutes to get them on. I could probably take them off in 10 min and back on in 15-20 now, but this is not for casually removing for washing or to just convert to a leaner look for one ride.

Should help in the cooler days this winter when I can close the vents. In the summer, it should keep the motor a bit cooler as it directs more airflow directly to the first cylinder.

The glove boxes lock and inside is some of the mounting hardware, so they cannot be stolen without someone taking a saw to them.

EXCELLENT quality though. I'd heard good things about LeatherPros and can say I agree fully. I'll post the remaining 2 pics in a followup post. It only allowed 5 at a time.
ehans: Wow, they look great! I posted a longer reply also on the Softail board, where you informed me that you posted pics. They match your bike very well. You must be pleased. Thanks for sharing the pics and information. I am curious what you think of them after you test them out on the road. Great looking bike! Thanks again. Soft422

Old 11-02-2010, 05:44 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

you can probly get a good deal from Zanotti HD. I doubt that oc discounted them at all.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:52 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

They look great. I haven't seen them before.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Mr. Nellis
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! I just did the exact same thing. I love the way that it fills out the front end and I appreciate the extra storage. I'd be interested to know if you've experienced any difference in bike performance or wind noise or anything like that.

BTW, Kuryakyn makes some adjustable highway pegs especially to fit around your lowers.

Attached Thumbnails Got my vented leather lowers installed on my Road King Classic-fall-2010-121.jpg  

Last edited by Mr. Nellis; 11-10-2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Add highway pegs info
Old 11-10-2010, 09:37 AM
ehans
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mr. Nellis
Awesome! I just did the exact same thing. I love the way that it fills out the front end and I appreciate the extra storage. I'd be interested to know if you've experienced any difference in bike performance or wind noise or anything like that.
No, but as of yet, haven't been on the freeway with them, just local roads with top speeds of 55-60mph. No noticable diff in handling, though no riding in strong winds yet.

Cannot tell any noise difference either, but I ride with a 3/4 helmet so ears are somewhat covered.

I love the way they look and last night it was in the 50's coming home and could definitely tell they kept my legs warmer. in the 40's this morning, so I'll actually close the vents on the way into the office and see how that goes.

On your lowers, post pics if you got 'em!

Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sweet, now I have another addition to the list of winter crap I need to do to my scooter. I wonder if they will cover a fairing in leather like that?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:04 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ehans
Should help in the cooler days this winter when I can close the vents. In the summer, it should keep the motor a bit cooler as it directs more airflow directly to the first cylinder.
I have the HD lowers, and a few have claimed these will increase engine temperatures, but I haven't found this to be the case in two summers running in S. LA where it gets quite hot. HD says they improve cooling when moving but may increase heat when stationary, like sitting in traffic, since they may trap heat to some degree. I have noticed that oil temps run about 5° cooler with them installed, but haven't noticed any increase in oil-temps in traffic. I have an oil-cooler installed and its presence may change the behavior of the lowers vis-a-vis engine cooling. IOW, YMMV if you don't have a cooler.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:42 PM
DrQ
Road Master

Put some RKC conchos on mine-they look like they came from the factory! :LD

Old 11-19-2010, 09:00 PM
ehans
Tourer

Nice. I love mine. Got a pic with the conchos?

Old 11-22-2010, 12:39 PM
DrQ
Road Master

Quick Reply: Got my vented leather lowers installed on my Road King Classic